New to site and just starting to think about motherhood - tips welcomed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I am new to the site and joined because my husband and I are just starting to looking into expanding our family.  I plan to stop taking the pill in November, and talk to an OB/GYN about "planning" and all that goes with it, at my annual exam in November.  Any tips that anyone has in the mean time - best ways to prepare my body for a pregancy (and how to mentally prepare - suggestions for good books, etc.) would be much appreciated.  I'm a bit of a control freak so this whole process scares the crap out of me - I joined this site hoping to releave some nerves by being as informed as I can be by real women!!  Thank you in advance for any help/tips you can offer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi and welcome!

Your post sounds a lot like me when my husband and I decided to have kids.  :)  One book I would strongly recommend is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin.  Or maybe that is jumping the gun?  Another great one to start with is Taking Charge of Your Fertility. 

Good luck

#3 of 3 Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hello and welcome to the site!  When I was first trying to conceive, I went to the doctor for a physical, he advised me to start taking a prenatal vitamin, which I did.  I was reading a book on pre-conception, and it scared me into thinking there were so many ways I could have fertility problems, so I decided to start trying immediately instead of waiting a few more months, so I got pregnant about a week or two after I had my physical. 

I think it's a great idea to read things and participate in boards like this.  Also LLL meetings are good if you are planning to breastfeed.  But I think so much is beyond our control, we can think we are prepared, but the reality will always catch us by surprise in one way or another at some point in the parenting journey.  It's also easy to second guess yourself and feel like you want to go back and do it again so you can make all the right decisions.  Or maybe that was just me. smile.gif

One book I really liked during my second pregnancy was Birthing from Within.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page