This is my mothering story! Oh yes, and Hi! I'm new!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My History of Mothering:

I was four years old when I first read your magazine in our local library. I read it and proceeded to take out every back issue of your magazine.. Many of the librarians frowned at my mother and some of the comments were "do you realise what your letting her read?" or "there are bad photo's in those magazines, they show close-ups of mothers breastfeeding!" my mom, one of the first to plan a homebirth in my hometown was looked down on and faced many a judgement, comman of those days and still comman today. Was completely unfased by these judgemental librarians.

We bumped into our family doctor several weeks later at the library, he saw me and all my books on natural birth, breastfeeding and other childbirth and baby topics. I had and check-up coming up the next week and when we went in,

This is our funny conversation:

Doctor: "have you ever heard of Dr. William Sears?"

My 4 yr old self: "You know, I started reading his book but he didn't know what he was talking about and it was making me mad"

Doctor: "Oh, I see.." (he asked me about several other doctors)

Me: I responded with several other similer answers as before

Doctor: "So who do you like to read?"

Me: Well, my favorite writing person is Peggy O'mara, she edits mothering magazine and she knows a lot!"

Doctor: "Do you like any other magazines?"

Me: "Of course not!"

My mom homeschooled me and my brother so I had time to learn.

I continued reading mothering and just about every childcare and birthing, or pregnancy books out there.

When I was 8 yrs old, I announced that I was going to be a stay at home mom of 16 children!

I spent the next couple of years analysing baby names books, and trying to find names of midwifes and doula's in my area. I discovered that there was no midwifes or doulas in our city and so I desided that I would need to move.

I was horrified, and I verbalised that to several different people.

It was then that I chose that I would become a midwife. I studies that for a couple of years.. Then I thought about being a Doula.

I also studies into that.

At 10 yrs I read an article in mothering magazine helped me to choose to become a vegetarian. I had been wanting to become one for a while, but in our close knit community of all meat eaters I had been scared. My mom took me down to staples and we photocopied the article (several prints), so that I could show people the facts when they questioned my "safety". It turned out that this was the best thing that could have been done, since several people took this decision worse than we expected. I stuck to my guns and am very proud to say that this is my 8th year of being a vegetarian! Also, we moved and are now living in a city that actually favours vegetarianism.

By this time I was 12 years old. I also began planning to become a foster mom!

When I was 16 yrs, I had a major shock! Mothering was out of print! The librarian who I talked to told me that the government had banned it because of its obsenities. I left the library close to tears. Mothering means a lot to me and then to have it gone was horrible. A week or so later I googled it trying to figure out the reason why Mothering had to shut down! I came across mothering.com!!! Happiness swept over me like a warm blanket on a cold night. I spent hours reading articles..

I am now 17 years old.

I was just welcomed into the Doula Program in canada! I am very excited!!!

Thank you for reading my Mothering story!! I'm here!

#2 of 2 Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very cool! I see you doing wonderful things for mothers and children in your lifetime, already being so well educated and passionate at such a young age. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page