Hello from a worldschooling family in Phuket! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there! I am a relatively new member to Mothering, although I read the magazine when we lived in LA. We are an unschooling family of 3, currently living in Thailand. Our 4.5 year old daughter Kaya is unvaccinated and still nursing like an addict (lol). We co sleep as well.

I'm a writer and my husband is a family wellness coach and actor. We eat a mostly vegetarian diet, and occasionally eat fish. We use herbalism to prevent illness in our home, which works quite well.

I haven't really joined any forums in the past ( anywhere) as I found a lot to be people fighting about parenting styles ( aka Aping folks insulting non APers, or vice versa) but am really interested in chatting with natural families of all varieties and backgrounds.

We're moving to Scotland in a few months, probably near Nairn. So if any of you lovely ladies or lads are up in that area, I'd love to take you out for tea! ;)

Blessings,

Elizabeth

Sattvic Family

unschooling mom, family travel enthusiast and holistic living advocate

#2 of 13 Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 AM

Elizabeth,

Nice to meet you. I am curious; why Scotland?

Anne

#3 of 13 Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Anne! I am British and have always loved Scotland, and there is a great homeschooling network there. Also my husband is an actor and wants to attend the Royal Conservatoire. We've never really had our own home until now, but our place here in Thailand is quite small, we are craving a large place in the country, with maybe a goat or two. ;)

#4 of 13 Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Ah, the part I missed what that you were British. I saw you had met your husband in LA and assumed you were American.  I also didn't realize there were many homeschoolers in Scotland. Somehow I thought it was an American phenomenon.

Well, I wish you luck with your move -- seems like your daughter is getting an education just by being in your traveling family. :-) Enjoy the adventure!

#5 of 13 Old 06-02-2012, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I am actually half American but have lived all over the place; my mom is from the UK but lives in LA, although she is plotting to move to Scotland.

Where do you live Anne?

Elizabeth

unschooling mama

#6 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM

I am originally from New Jersey but I live in New Hampshire. I love a New England winter. However, in the summer, I do miss the flowers and the pastoral fields of New Jersey (I know that's not how people picture the state, but it really does have a lot of natural beauty). New Hampshire is so rocky, just mountains and pine trees.. 

I have never had the opportunity to travel as you have clearly done.. but I have been to London and to China. I would love see some more of Europe. My son-in-law is Greek-American and speaks Greek;  I've tried to talk him into taking a trip there with us (wouldn't it be fun to travel with your own interpreter?) but I have not been able to do so yet. 

My mom is obsessed with Scotland.  After they married off their last child, my parents traveled -- they went to the UK something like 18 times. She would love to have a relative there so she could stay longer than a few weeks. :-) I've never been there myself, maybe someday. 

Anne

#7 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I love the word Worldschooling :)  We are an unschooling family as well with plans to see the world, but for now we are just in BC, Canada.  Welcome to MDC!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 13 Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there, nice to meet you! Yeah I love the word as well!! There is a family of four in Canada that have a blog about worldschooling, and they are about to move to Asia to begin long term traveling.

#9 of 13 Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

My mom is obsessed with Scotland as well, despite the fact she is English lol. She is so happy we are moving, she is going to join us. It sounds like you have in fact traveled a lot!! Did you like China?

#10 of 13 Old 06-05-2012, 01:58 PM

China was an incredible experience. We went there to adopt our daughter, now 9. We took our 10-year-old son with us. (Their schools would not allow the older children to miss two weeks of school for a trip to China so we didn't bring them along. Probably we could not have afforded it, anyway.) 

A trip to adopt is like a missions trip. (I went to the Dominican Republic for a missions trip so I know how that feels.) You feel that you are on a mission to bring these children home. We traveled with 15 other families and became very close to them. One of the fathers developed kidney problems and ended up in the hospital, and one of the children had pneumonia and ended up in the hospital – I recall all of us together in the hallways of the hotel praying for the sick ones and really holding one another up. It was hard in many ways because the children were almost all sick, and of course they were traumatized by being removed from their orphanages and placed with these strangers who didn’t speak Chinese. Having the support of the other families was invaluable.  There were only a few families that already had kids at home (we were one of them, obviously) and I’m a nurse so I was in high demand, and glad to be able to help.

The first 3 days of the trip were spent in Beijing for some sightseeing. We saw the Great Wall, the Pearl market and had a Hutong tour in a rickshaw. Then we went to our daughter’s province and almost immediately were given our baby.  During our 5-day wait for paperwork to be completed, we were taken to a museum and saw one of Mao’s summer homes. This was a poor province, so we spent a lot of time in the hotel comforting the babies and trying our best to help the families with sick ones. I developed a terrible cold and fever… My husband and son spent a lot of time shopping and looking for Western style food. I ordered room service… our daughter liked congee but there was always too much for her, so I ate tons of it also. Our tour guide dosed me up with Chinese medicines.. I felt very adventurous taking these things when I could not read the labels..

At the end of the 5 day wait we went to Guangzhou to get our daughter’s visa. That was about a 3-day wait.  After the cold and snow and rain in the more northern provinces it was lovely to get to the warm south. We did a ton of shopping (I was starting to feel better) and ate some amazing food. I recall people stopping us to practice their English and to congratulate us on our adoption and tell us how lucky the baby was. (We tried to tell them that we were the lucky ones but they were not convinced.) The sick ones were getting better – the dad with the kidney problems actually spoke Cantonese so getting to Guangzhou was wonderful for him, he could talk to the doctors.. our daughter was becoming resigned to us.. the hotel was beautiful.. We took tons of pictures of all the babies together in the hotel on a red couch. I bought Chinese clothing in ascending sizes for my daughter (who won’t TOUCH them now, she’s a tomboy and wouldn’t dream of wearing a dress of any kind.)

Then we went to Hong Kong for a short layover. I wanted to sight see but we were just TOO tired. We had an amazing steak dinner, as I recall.

As we left Hong Kong they stopped us because our son had put some toy swords (about 3 inches long) in his carry on.. they searched EVERY bag and we almost missed our flight.

But we made it home and can’t imagine life without our little girl from China. 

#11 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

That is so wonderful you adopt and got to experience that culture! We have been to China briefly and hope to adopt in the future as well. We were in Beijing and Shanghai as well as Hong Kong. I loved the tea houses, hated the smog lol!!

#12 of 13 Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM

I'd love to go back and let my daughter see what her birth country is like. We learned so much about their culture in the short two weeks we were there. Someday I'd like to see Shanghai and some other areas of the country.

#13 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

I bet you guys will end up going there! That would be an incredible experience as well. I really can't wait to adopt. I investigated into it back when I lived in the States, before I was pregnant. But I was about 23 then and we didn't know what our options were. I would love to adopt from Kenya as I lived there for a month when I was a teen and we visited an orphanage there. It was devistating as all of the children had AIDS or HIV and there was a cemetary in the back. It broke my heart.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page