Hello! When did you decide you were ready? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! My name is Mel. I am brand new to the mothering community and just wanted to say hello My husband and I just recently began our TTC journey. It is the first time in my life that I have actually felt ready to start a family! I finished grad school last year and just got an extremely stable job here. I never really wanted children, but something switched in me in the last few months and I can not WAIT for a family. :)

When did you decide you were ready?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 AM

Hi Mel! Welcome to MDC!! I have only ever wanted to be a mom. My first daughter was a suprize and while I wasn't ready then, I had no choice! With my second daughter, it was something in me. I had baby fever like crazy and I felt like a part of me was missing. Now the same thing, I just feel like I'm not complete, that my family isn't whole. We are trying for #3 and with each negitave its a little stab in the heart. For us, it wasn't a matter of money or school etc. I feel those things can change in a blink of an eye, so if I waited around for those to be "perfect" it might never happen. So, we make due with what we have a pray for the best. I'm excited for you and your husband to start down your path of parenthood! It's one of the most amazing things I have been through!

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Hey Mel! Welcome to Mothering! I am kind of new myself, but I'm loving it and I'm sure you will, too. 

It's pretty great that you seem to have set yourself up for success! You landed a stable job after completing a graduate degree, and now you feel like you have a good jumping-off point for starting a family. That's fantastic! 

I've always wanted to be a mom and to have a child, but I started feeling really ready when my fiancé proposed. Knowing that he was committed (knowing and having a gesture made to that end, let's put it that way) and that I was in a stable relationship with stable finances in a lovely city--and knowing that I was in a great physical and emotional health--made me feel SUPER ready. Now there's baby fever BAD in our house :) 

Good luck, and welcome again! 

Doula bellycast.gif and freelance writer notes.gif,  married to the best man I know joy.gif

Stepmother to DSS guitar.gif (9)

6-24-13 angel1.gif

8-9-12 pos.gif and planning on homebirth.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hi Mel.  Welcome to MDC!  What a great question!  You might want to post it in the Trying to Concieve Forum also.  I don't have a great answer for you, because my first was a surprise...a big surprise...a I'm on the pill surprise! faint.giflol.gif  But it turned out to be the "right" time for us anyway.  After having our first child, we decided that we would go ahead and continue, instead of waiting to have our other children later in life.  That was 14 years ago, and I now have 3 boys, 13, 11, and 8 yrs old.  love.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Hi Mel!

I'm new here too. For me it was a long road - for most of my life I wasn't at all sure if I wanted kids, ever. Mostly I was scared to death of the whole childbirth process, but I had other qualms too - not feeling ready by any means, concerns about adding to overpopulation, and a terribly strong preference for a female child should I have one. Even when I got married almost 2 years ago, agreeing to take that first year to just be married was huge, and just what I needed to put me over the edge.

Now I'm 15 weeks and it feels like perfect timing :-)

#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM

Hi, Mel.  I'm new here too. I got married in April, one month before I turned 30, and that's when we stopped using birth control.  Even though I don't at all think that anyone else needs to wait until marriage if that's not right for them, for me, that's when it felt right. In fact, maybe it was even the other way around---getting married felt right because I wanted to start our family. Still, I wasn't completely 100% sure until a couple weeks after I found out I was pregnant. My hands were shaking so hard after taking the test, but I'm someone who is pretty scared of change. After I got adjusted to the idea, I felt like I could get ready.  And then, I had a miscarriage at 7 1/2 weeks.  After that loss, I know now that I really did want a baby, that I was ready, and waiting to try again is proving to be kind of difficult.

Best of luck on your journey. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page