I'm a gentle sleep coach, I live in Arizona, I have 5 kids and everyone thinks I'm a bit crazy. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone

I know a lot about sleep but not a lot about technology and chat groups, pages and computer stuff.  I have just barely figured out facebook this year.  http://www.facebook.com/QuietNights

I saw a post on sleep coaching on this site from 2008 and thought "Is that what people think I do???? Yikes!"

Well I am different.

I don't do Cry It Out. If that's what you wanted to do, you don't need me.

I support attachment.

I support breast feeding as much as the mother can and wants.

I use the gentlest methods that are evidenced based.

I actually have extensive training in gentle methods and sleep science.  But I am the first to say I am not a doctor.

Most of the families who contact me have alert children and are in desperate need of sleep. And I only work with children over 4 months of age and even then only if they are past certain developmental points.  It's such a delicate age.

I don't do the sleep training for the families.  I teach them how to do it so they can keep doing it. I'm the coach.

I have 5 children and have done tons of things "wrong" and tons of things "right" and they are all turning out just great!  I love to cook from scratch and spend as little on food as I can but still make the healthiest choices.  I make a killer pasta sauce full of veggies. I love natural living and am always wanting learning new things. 

The crazy comments usually come after they hear I have 5 children or after they hear about me driving them across the country and up into Canada to visit my family every summer for 3-6 weeks to escape the Arizona summer heat.  Without my  husband.  He usually flies up for his vacation time and we all go to our family cabin in the mountains but otherwise it's just me, our 5 kids and whoever we want to go visit.  Luckily we have family who love us all the way there we can stop in to visit.

If anyone wants to talk about sleep  (or cooking or travel with 5 kids), I'd love to practice using this forum on my favorite topic.

Thanks

Tracy Spackman

www.GetQuietNights.com  -my super slow web site due to my lack of technilogical savy. lol.

#2 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Hello and welcome to MDC! 

As a mama of a all night nurser going on her 18th month -- I kinda wish you lived on the East Coast. ROTFLMAO.gif We're making our way towards night weaning very, very slooooowwwwllly. 

Please share that pasta sauce recipe. broc1.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

You must be such a great momma.

It's funny about you being on the East coast.  Most of the families I work with on on the East coast.  I know eastern standard time as well as my own.  Lol.  I get to work from home and do my consultations over the phone.  I'm on the phone A Lot!  It seems to be the popular thing in the East to have a sleep coach.  Up in Canada in Southern Ontario it's very popular to have someone even come in and do it for you.  I know how to do that but I prefer to just be the coach and teach families how to do it themselves.  I love my job.  When I give free talks to mom's groups they can feel my passion for parenting.  I've even done free mom's groups webinars.  There is so much I  have to offer.  My husband laughs at me that I'm either on the phone sleep consulting, taking a class about sleep consulting or giving away free information.  He's right.  IF your mom's group wants a free webinar, I do them all the time.  I give free advice all the time if you want it.

For an 18th month old there are 2 great sleep coaching options I like best.  One is the kinder-baby method that I love best that no one seems to know about and the sleep lady shuffle outlined in Kim West's book Good Night Sleep Tight.

As for night weaning, I have some gentle ideas.  Have you heard of Dream Feeding?  It's a great tool to separate sleep behaviors from calorie needs and you still get the attachment piece.  You really can have your cake and eat it too.  And do you know about the attachment diet so you can get all your needed baby snuggles once you nurse less at night?   Wow, look at me go on about sleep.  Let me know if I can help you with any specifics.  Am I allowed to offer free advice on this forum?  Is there a way for you to let me know if you wanted to talk to me in person without breaking policy rules.  I'm big on keeping the rules.

As for my pasta sauce recipe...

I buy the #10 cans of crushed tomatoes at Costco for my tomato base. (its a really big batch that I then freeze in meal size amounts.)  I stir fry onions, then garlic, then add the super veggies I got from the co-op that week.  I especially like Kale, spinach, collard greens, red bell peppers, any extra tomatoes etc.  I even put cauliflower in it once.  It's different every time.  But when I have the super  healthy leafy greens, this is my second favorite way to use them.  so I stir fry them all up, all some of the can of tomato sauce and use my immersion blender to blend out all the chunks so my kids don't notice all the great veggies in the sauce.  I fry up hamburger to add right before using a meal size batch.  Sometimes I add a bit of sugar but usually with the veggies, I don't need too.

Sleep and cooking, my 2 favorite subjects.

#4 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Tracy Spackman View Post

For an 18th month old there are 2 great sleep coaching options I like best.  One is the kinder-baby method that I love best that no one seems to know about and the sleep lady shuffle outlined in Kim West's book Good Night Sleep Tight.

As for night weaning, I have some gentle ideas.  Have you heard of Dream Feeding?  It's a great tool to separate sleep behaviors from calorie needs and you still get the attachment piece.  

I'd love if you can share more about these things. I've never heard of the kinder-baby method and, while I think I know about dream feeding, I imagine you have some great tips. If you are inclined to go into detail about these things (which would be hugely interesting to our members), I suggest you either join an on-going thread at the nighttime parenting forum or perhaps even start a thread there about a topic - (maybe the kinder-method, hint, hint. love.gif) Here is a link to the sleep forum: http://www.mothering.com/community/f/37/the-family-bed-and-nighttime-parenting. This is a thread in "Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy" that discusses nigh weaning. I posted our progress here and will update today. I'm sure the mamas there would love some advice! http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1364027/night-weaning-my-18-month-old-advice

Quote:

Am I allowed to offer free advice on this forum?  Is there a way for you to let me know if you wanted to talk to me in person without breaking policy rules.  I'm big on keeping the rules.

OMgosh, YES! To update members following along - generally we are not allowed to post to promote our business on MDC but members are allowed an into post and in there they are welcome to share information about themselves, including their businesses. Tracy, we have many, many members (some who are in the tops of their fields!) post here and offer advice to the community. That is 150% welcome. love.gif It's part of what makes this community such a valuable resource! If at some point you feel as though you'd like to look into whether MDC could be a place to help you promote your business, please look into the business signature account. This allows you to link to your website on your MDC signature. If you find you're a respected member of the community and are offering great advice - I can't imagine folks not clicking your signature to get more information. I know I would. orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:

As for my pasta sauce recipe...

I buy the #10 cans of crushed tomatoes at Costco for my tomato base. (its a really big batch that I then freeze in meal size amounts.)  I stir fry onions, then garlic, then add the super veggies I got from the co-op that week.  I especially like Kale, spinach, collard greens, red bell peppers, any extra tomatoes etc.  I even put cauliflower in it once.  It's different every time.  But when I have the super  healthy leafy greens, this is my second favorite way to use them.  so I stir fry them all up, all some of the can of tomato sauce and use my immersion blender to blend out all the chunks so my kids don't notice all the great veggies in the sauce.  I fry up hamburger to add right before using a meal size batch.  Sometimes I add a bit of sugar but usually with the veggies, I don't need too.

Sleep and cooking, my 2 favorite subjects.

Ah, ha -- immersion blender! I love it!! I think I'll try that too. I've got a picky kid...and as she gets a bit older and less picky I'm noticing how picky the other adult in our house is. eyesroll.gif 

Welcome.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page