Intro: homeschooling homebirthing mom of kids with food allergies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I'm mom turning 40 this year, with 8 yo DD, 5 yo DS, and 2 yo DS.

My younger two were born at home after my first was a hospital birth ending in cesarean.

They all have multiple food allergies. The younger two have never had any injections. 

We are eclectic in our homeschooling approach, and sometimes I dislike the term homeschooling because it implies they get schooled but it takes place at home. Yet I can't entirely say we are unschoolers either, because even though we have unschooly tendencies, my daughter's weak decoding skills and inability to learn to spell, benefited greatly from "The Logic of English" and we are learning arithmetic on the Soroban (Japanese Abacus) instead of the way it is usually taught in Western schools.

So much as I don't believe kids have to be taught everything, in order to learn anything, I won't rule out all training or any use of materials or guidance. 

But I have a love/hate relationship with the label "homeschooling" Love it because it's something everyone has heard of and gets me off the hook of explanations. Hate it because people comfortably assume my kids are just another type of schooled. Which is partly true, actually. Which bugs me a bit, because I like thinking of them as free learners or school-free kids. 

But they are not, not totally. *sigh*

My house is a wreck and only I can exercise self-control and refuse to sit at the computer til it's clean, and I hate putting away laundry. I am happier when it's clean, but sometimes I wallow a while in unhappiness before fixing it...hehe

More structure is something I know I need to work on, but life's orderliness ebbs and flows. We've seen our household running well, and we've seen it running poorly, and I know neither lasts too long or becomes permanent, so if it gets too bad, I try inviting someone over so I will have that extra impetus to make it presentable.

#2 of 4 Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello and welcome!  I hope you find this place a valuable resource in your natural parenting journey. smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Hello there Viola! I'm also new to this and I am on the same path as you. I have three children, 2 who have gone thru regular schooling and the last one we have decided to be "home schooled." Like you, I dislike the word and what it implies but I guess it needs to fit the mold society has imposed.

My youngest is 2 years old and I was curious on how you started with your own children.

My husband and I have recently adopted a more holistic and natural approach to love, health and life. Since my two older children were raised in the conformity of society, it's really hard to break the mold especially since one is already going to college and the other is in middle school. Still we encourage them to join us in our journey we don't impose upon them either like society does ALL the time.

Many Blessings!
#4 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 06:07 AM

Ciao!

So excited you found your way here! Also you're a strong mama! Thanks for sharing a little of your story! I am a Doula CBE annnndddd a Student Midwife! I am ecstatic with my path right now and Love to hear of moms having homebirths!

Blessings on your journey, hope this site is helpful to you!

Love and blessings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page