New Member - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies, My name is Yesica I am new to this site and I've been meaning to introduce myself I just couldn't figure it out using my phone. Anyways, my LC recommended this site for me due to the bumps I have encounters by EBF. So I will write a short narrative of my story has been like and maybe someone can relate and help me out...
My baby was born June 3, 2013 weighing 7lbs 7.8oz 19 1/2 inches. We relocated states when he was 4weeks due to hubby's work.I EBF until he was about 3mo and 1week. At that time we were monitoring my babies weights closely through an infant and nutrition center because my baby had been having green stools and slow weight gain. After a couple of weeks of monitoring my baby was not weighing the minimal 4oz/week that's recommended for EBF babies. I did everything I could (cluster pumping so I could supplement with my milk, everything to increase my milk supply) but I was still told by the people in that center that the problem was low supply cause during feedings my DS was vigorously sucking and looking for let downs and me changed to deep sucks/swallows and I would pump only close to 1oz in-between feedings.
At 3mo1week my baby was weighing 10lbs 2oz and had plateaued on his weight. He had never lost any weight just not gained enough. He displayed no sign of dehydration but his Dr thought he seemed not engaged to his surroundings and simply not content. My baby has been a high need baby since birth, constant nursing not interested in bouncers, play gyms in general he was almost never happy. In fact we have few pics I him smiling. After I supplemented he seemed more content, he takes some sort of naps (when before all his naps were only while nursing, he plays at his gym and smiles a little more. Oh and of course has gained some weight. Now at 4mo1week he weights 12lbs.
My question is am I doing the right thing? Did my baby really need to be supplemented? My current LC though I didn't have too. She felt my baby had gained what he needed at 3mo and that there was no problem with my supply. She felt my baby was simply a slow weight gainer. I feel so bad about supplementing but everyone around me kept pointing out how skinny my DS was, how unsatisfied he seemed always. I ended up feeling like I was causing my baby a harm instead of sound what's best by EBF? Please comment and help me out through this ladies!
Thank you
#2 of 3 Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello and welcome!

It's really hard to know after the fact everything that is going on.  It could be that his weight gain and temperament change coincided with a new developmental phase, but it sounds like the supplementing helped him and gave you peace of mind.  There can be minor things going on that impeded milk transference and consequently the development of full supply, and they may not be obvious.  If you started supplementing and he didn't gain weight, then it would be one thing, but he did gain weight, and he had been showing signs of not getting enough, and it sounds like you made the best decision you could in that situation.

adinal and YesicaM like this.
#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Hi and Welcome to Mothering!

What a hard place to be in.  It sounds like you went with your gut and what you thought was best, and it turned out to be the right choice for you.  It sounds like you and he are both more content, and that is what matters. :) 

Let us know if we can help you find anything around the site!  We are glad you found us!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page