How did you find out about Mothering and decide to join? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How did you find out about Mothering and decide to join?
A website link (please share it or the website name) 14 34.15%
A random web search 79 100.00%
A specific web search (I was looking for a Pregnancy Club) 7 17.07%
A specific web search (I was looking for an online parenting forum) 31 75.61%
A friend/family member recommended Mothering 60 100.00%
I follow Mothering on Facebook 13 31.71%
A friend shared a Mothering article on Facebook 11 26.83%
Printed issues of Mothering Magazine 67 100.00%
I saw it mentioned on Twitter 0 0%
Other (please mention in a comment below) 41 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering! As a new member you will soon find what a wonderful community of members we are fortunate to have! We look forward to getting to know you and hope that we can support you in your parenting journey and help you find answers to the myriad of questions you may have. We also hope you will share your knowledge and experience with our members in whatever way you can that will help us all grow as individuals and parents. :grouphug

We'd love to know what brought you to Mothering! Please complete our poll. Feel free to post if you have something specific to share or if you have a suggestion to add to the options in the poll.

Thanks so much for joining our community. We look forward to getting to know you better! :love

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Posted a response not sure if it is in a different thread. My name is Melissa. Mother to David 1 week shy of 9 months and wife to Kevin for almost 7 years. I am extremely passionate about my new role as a mother and practice attachment parenting as best as I can . We adopted David Qn
Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 PM

And have been with him since his birth. I heard about mothering in book "beyond the sling"
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Other: I was a long time member (since 1999 or 2000) under a different username.

Initially I found out about the online community after a mom friend lent me a stack of Mothering magazines when I was pregnant with my daughter.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:24 PM

I was friends with Peggy McMahon when our first two babies were born : Alamogordo, New Mexico
Old 11-21-2013, 01:48 PM

Our instructor for our Bradley method class shared articles from the printed Mothering magazine.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:54 PM

I can't respond to the poll; for some reason, it only shows the poll results.

A friend recommended Mothering magazine, and I found the website when searching for the magazine.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM

I was a mothering subscriber when I had my first child in 1995, the back pages were the best resource for finding cloth diapers.  Now I've got gray hair, a not so resilient body, and gave birth to my third child and wanted to access the resources again, so I searched facebook.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Tso View Post

I was a mothering subscriber when I had my first child in 1995, the back pages were the best resource for finding cloth diapers.  Now I've got gray hair, a not so resilient body, and gave birth to my third child and wanted to access the resources again, so I searched facebook.

Hi Rachel! 

Welcome back to Mothering! Is this your first post ever as a member of the Mothering online community? (Or do you happen to have had a previous account?) Just curious. :P 

Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also found Mothering through "Beyond the Sling"
Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 PM

My pediatrician recommended Mothering back in 2007 when I gave birth to my daughter - I loved to receive the magazines! They were truly inspiring!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:30 PM

I am not new and have been here since before I was even married.  My son is now almost 6 years old.  I think your site or system changed or something so my past posts etc have disappeared.  I'm surprised you can't 'see' that on your end, but okay.  SO far I have to say I am little bummed, it doesn't feel as chatty and welcoming as it once did, I'm almost wondering if it would be better not to show how many have viewed a post and not responded at all...  you know?  Anyway I hope it picks up and that more like-minded, positive Moms will be here.  Thank you for providing this valuable service and virtual community.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:42 PM

I'm an "old" mother and was searching the web for sites advocating ways to run homes without toxins. I now have a business educating people about toxins in their personal care products as well as food. Mothering's philosophy is fabulous!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi View Post I think your site or system changed or something so my past posts etc have disappeared.  I'm surprised you can't 'see' that on your end, but okay.  

Hello @RasJi

How did you get to this poll? Did you receive an email from us? We sent that email only to users who joined the site in the last 12 months, but your account appears to have been created in 2006. Maybe you have two different accounts on Mothering, an older one and a newer one? I'm sure @AdinaL will be able to troubleshoot this issue with you when she gets a chance to look at this. 

Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Smart View Post

I'm an "old" mother and was searching the web for sites advocating ways to run homes without toxins. I now have a business educating people about toxins in their personal care products as well as food. Mothering's philosophy is fabulous!

Very interesting - and thanks for the kind words! What is the name of your business? Perhaps we can arrange some collaboration between our sites? Please reach out to our community manager, @Cynthia Mosher if you want to discuss more around a potential collaboration. 

Old 11-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i read about mothering as a rare and awesome website/magazine (except, i guess it's not a magazine anymore) that would be one of the few places where i would not be subjected to a ton of terrible advice and marketing. this was in a book specific to attachment parenting converts, a book called "beyond the sling" by mayim bialik (sp?). so glad to have found it, too! it's a refreshingly open-minded and warm-hearted community of folks. yay! too bad, though, that i missed the heyday of it being a magazine!

will be TTC in late 2014 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI. queer, 32. DW is 41.  married 10 yrs. 

and soon          
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I searched the web and based on the results of a random web search I found Mothering. I noticed that the mamas here are very warm and welcoming and from different parts of the world. Most of the mainstream sites like Babycenter seem to have a lot of drama and bullying...something that I despise and want no part of. This site has introduced me to kindhearted mothers/ women sharing similar experiences without judgment. I can't say enough great things about this site. Love it.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

Love the site !! My name is Nikki . NO kids Trying very hard ;3)

Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM

I was a subscriber to the magazine with the birth of my first child in 1997.  I'm so sad it's no longer in print :(  Used to give subscriptions as baby gifts.  Have many back issues which i still refer to.  Pathways to Family Wellness is a great magazine and very similar, but nothing can take the place of Mothering.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:17 PM

My midwives for the birth if my second child recommended the magazine. I was excited to subscribe and when I looked it up, discovered that it is only online.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM

I have no idea, honestly. I don't remember precisely how I found out about it. I've probably encountered Mothering magazine, but I think I got a link to it from an email or a website or something.. and somehow, I started getting emails from the website. But could I say which website, who sent me the email, did I find it on my own... no clue.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM

I had a set of your early magazines about 35 years ago that I used to lend out to pregnant friends.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 AM

I also read mothering magazine back in 1998 when our son linus was born. I just gave birth to our fourth child..
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 AM

I was searching for reviews of birth centers and hospitals near me, and found forum posts on Mothering about them.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Hello!  Random search.  Was blown away by someone who had a similar spinal experience, so decided to join.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaof7 View Post

I had a set of your early magazines about 35 years ago that I used to lend out to pregnant friends.

Welcome to the online community, @nanaof7 !! Was this your first post on our site? If so, thanks for taking the time to post here and let us know how you know of the site. Happy and amazed to hear that the printed magazine is still bringing people to the online community. Thank you for telling your friends about us and keep spreading the good word! 

Thank you!

Monica 

Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM

I was looking for natural/alternative pregnancy website, specifically in order to learn about local midwives.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 PM

I saw the link reposted on a hypnobirthing page. Glad I checked it out wink1.gif
Old 11-22-2013, 04:51 PM

I started reading and subscribing to Mothering magazine in 1978. I have always loved it. I referred to it thru the births and raising of 7 children, studying midwifery and becoming a birth doula. As sad as I was to see the end of the print magazine, it has only been natural to follow on the web.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 PM

There was some mention of it in LLL information I had - I don't remember specifically what or where. And during my pregnancy, many of the web searches (Google or Pinterest) that I did on natural parenting linked me up to articles and forum posts on the Mothering site. 

But, I only signed up after I discovered the EC forum. It's great to have support when practicing non-mainstream child raising. 

User Tag List