Hello from Denmark, a novice in unschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I am Lea, born in 1982, and I have a daughter, Aviaja, who is five and half. I am at the beginning of a homeschooling/unschooling journey with my daughter. I found this site by coincidence and I thought I would join to see if I could find other people who unschool or who are interested in unschooling.

I live in Denmark at the moment with my daughter. I am and have always been a single parent. I grew up in Greenland, hence the username Inuit82. I am interested in many many things but I am passionate about traveling, writing, vegansim/healthy and sustainable living and natural learning. I am no expert in any of these areas but I am always trying to learn more and I already have some experience. I am a vegan and have been for almost five years. I co-sleep. I breastfed my daughter for as long as possible, that is one and half year and then I didn't have any more milk though I would have liked to do it longer. I am considering having another baby on my own.

I work with writing and translation at the moment and I am dreaming about creating my own business.

I have a highly sensitive child and I am sure she got that from me. I am not really one for labels, but I use them occasionally because they sometimes help explain things to people who don't know anything about or a new to the subject. 

Well, I think that's it for now from me.

I just wanted to introduce myself and greet everybody, its nice to meet you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-01-2014, 05:03 AM

21st century woman! Good for you! All the best with your children and career! You are inspiring to me on this sunny but cold Saturday morning! You go, Girl!!!!
#3 of 11 Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you rockiev :) It is very nice to know that I can be an inspiration :)

#4 of 11 Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 AM

Hi Lea, I live near Byron Bay and I started unschooling my 7 year old this year, after severe bullying...at two Steiner schools. I first learnt about unschooling when my child was 4 years old. The more I looked into it, the more I liked the idea. John Holt, and Ivan Illich were my inspirations followed by many others. My family and I may be relocating to Denmark in the near future, due to my partners work. Can you tell me about the place? I am happy to share information about my son's education. Please feel free to ask me any direct questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

#5 of 11 Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mayo, I am sorry to hear about your son's bad experiences at the Steiner schools, you would think that those schools had better tools when it comes to dealing with bullying. But, sadly, bullying seems to be a problem in every school these days. I had intended for my daughter to go to a Steiner school here where we live, but I have heard from several people now who have had bad experiences there and old teachers from the school have said that there are many things that do not function well there.

I originally opted for the Steiner school here because of a new public school reform that comes into force in August this year and that solely focuses on "efficiency of education" and has no regard for the individual child whatsoever, in my opinion. But after hearing about the Steiner situation and after reading about homeschooling/unschooling I knew that this was the right thing to do.

Arriving at the decision to unschool has been a long journey for me, I guess it started when I first had my daughter; I knew I wanted to do things differently than I saw most people do, but for many reasons I didn't make the actual decision to unschool until recently. John Holt has also been a great inspiration to me, among many others. The more I read about natural learning the more sense it makes!

Funny that you might be coming to Denmark :) While Denmark is a very small country the regions here are quite different, so it depends where you are planning to go. Unfortunately it seems that there aren't very many homeschoolers/unschoolers in Denmark but I think most of them live in the capital region (Copenhagen). I live in Aarhus, which is the biggest city on the mainland. I know of one other family at the moment here who is considering home ed, but I know that there are more families in Jutland who do it.

There is a forum for people who homeschool in Dk here www.frilæring.dk where you can go to "åbent forum" and ask questions about anything related to homeschooling and where poeple probably know more than I do :)

Is there anything in particular you would like to know about Denmark or a particular area here? I will be glad to help answer any questions I am able to. I can tell you that Dk has areas with beautiful nature, but I'm not sure it beats Byron Bay (it looks amazing there!). Aarhus is quite nice, we have both the seaside and forests and we have the perks of an urban area; museums, theaters, special activities for children etc. However, most things are crazy expensive here and so I don't use many of them after all. Dk seems to be far behind other countries when it comes to museum discounts or free activities, but if you look for it it can be found. I am not familiar with prices in Australia or if finances are even an issue, I am only mentioning this because its an issue for me :) but Dk is definitely not cheap and not very children-friendly when it comes to activities (at least I am not very impressed). I think it probably has to do with the fact that home ed is very uncommon here. Oh, there are loads more I could say but I am not sure what you would like to know so feel free to ask :)

I am very curious about your son's education. How does a typical day look like for you? (if there is such a thing as a typical day ;))

What things interest him and how do you help him pursue his interests? 

Lea

#6 of 11 Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 AM

Greetings Lea, it's a bit late here, so I will be quick. Firstly, I thought you were in Denmark Australia :-) I was searching for Denmark Australia, and somehow Denmark in Europe came up instead (I didn't realize this until you replied). A home schooling day at my home starts with a nice long breakfast outside in the garden. I also have a 10 month old. My 7 year old son loves to catch lizards and play with the dog. Once breakfast is over, I ask my son what he would like to learn. Most times he says maths. Recently we have been learning how to count money and tell the time. Then we do some reading, he reads to me and his sister. We practice writing and letter sounds. For example, 'ing' , ike , wh , sh , ch , etc... We have recently started learning about pre-history, Alexander loves this. He also likes science, David Suzuki does some great books for children. My son loves aeroplanes and wants to be a pilot, so we read many books on planes, and the history of planes. He also has a flight simulator. And some days we don't do any written work at all. Like today, we went to the library, then we drove over to Mt Warning , an extinct volcano, and played in the water and collected rocks. When we arrived home we worked outside in the garden, as a family. Every day is different. There are many people here in Australia who opt for home schooling. Record numbers actually. I thought that Australia, UK, and America were the only countries who permitted it. I'm pleased to hear that Denmark allows it. I know a few people who unschool, and they are quite radical...while I love the idea, I still do create structure because I want to help my son achieve his goal, and become a pilot. I don't expect him to learn physics on his own...I like to help. I also think it's important for children to play outside a lot. When my son turns 8 he will attend drama classes once a week. He's very good at role playing. It's getting quite late here. Thanks for your prompt reply Lea.  This website may be helpful to you. I hope to stay in touch with you.

The Educating Parent formerly Unschool Australia Natural ...

unschoolaustralia.com
#7 of 11 Old 04-06-2014, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mayo, sorry for being so slow to reply. I wanted to say I thought it was very funny when I read your reply and realised that you were in Australia :) I suppose I was so eager for someone to be coming to Denmark that I didn't even contemplate you could've meant another Denmark :) Anyway, I think your days sound wonderful! All the things you have the possibility of doing sound amazing. At the moment I am still only thinking about unschooling/homeschooling, that is, I haven't yet told the authorities that I plan to keep my daughter home. And we are doing some deschooling to help her recover from the stress of attending preschool, so our days are not all that structured. I am also wondering if we should structure our days more once we start home ed, but for now I am taking one day at a time. My daughter is very interested in almost everything. She is five and a half. I don't think she really has any favourite subjects yet. Homeschooling is very uncommon here, I have actually only met one other family in this area who plan to do it. Also, we have supervision and I think some areas are better than others when it comes to that. I read about homeschooling in Australia and saw some posts about it that were indeed very inspiring. I think homeschooling it is a growing phenomenon here, but there are still many people who have never even heard about it or who think that it is very strange or that it is a very bad idea. So while it is legal it is definitely not something that most people here opt for. Most people here are very afraid of doing something uncommon.

Well, I hope all is well in Australia! :)

#8 of 11 Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 AM

Hello Lea, welcome to Mothering. I am very interested in your views, particularly on breastfeeding and the healthy lifestyle which you have found to be so beneficial.

Weekdays I work on my parent's farm where we grow organic fruit and veg for our contractors, plus milling our own grain. We have animals, too. I have a toddler who this June is reaching her 4th birthday, though no more kiddles for me until I get older. It's been a pleasure being a new member of this wonderful forum - so feel welcome to jump in on any thread and enjoy your time with us. :)

Alex

#9 of 11 Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Alex,

Also welcome to Mothering to you :) 

Yes, I have been interested in sustainable and healthy living for a long time. I think it is one of the areas where everyone really has the opportunity to change something if they set their minds to it. And then you can choose to change things at the rate that suits you best. It is an aspect of life where you have the chance to take charge and responsibility and that's what I find so inspiring about it.

Cool that you have an organic farm! I have been dreaming about that sort of thing for years. Growing my own organic foods and selling them. It is really a dream scenario. It must be a lot of hard work too! Where exactly is your parent's farm? 

Toddlers are great. Give your daughter a hug!

Lea

#10 of 11 Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi Inuit! You've gotten quite a welcome already but I wanted to just point out a few forums that you might enjoy! 

Single Mamas by Choice thread http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1388770/single-mamas-by-choice

Unschooling Forum http://www.mothering.com/community/f/439/unschooling

Mamas in your area http://www.mothering.com/community/f/96/europe

Cheers!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#11 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM

Smile Australian unschooling mama coming through Denmark

Hi Lea,
I'm a single mama unschooling my four daughters aged 4, 6, 7 and 9. We'll be coming through Denmark in August/September. If you'd like to meet up, connect with me via Facebook — I'm Red Gypsy Lauren.

Love,
Lauren.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page