New and looking for parents' opinions on child feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am a postdoc from Australia and I joined this lovely forum to learn more about parenting from an American perspective and to hopefully find some parents (mothers or fathers) who would be willing to participate in my research study.

I just finished my PhD and I have now developed an online questionnaire to investigate what and how parents feed their young children. We are looking for mothers and/or fathers of 1-10 year olds and hope to include parents outside Australia.

I am not a mother myself yet but I find it fascinating to study parent-child interactions. Since my family is scattered across the world, I think I am particularly interesting in how some of these interactions vary depending on the country of residence. If you would like to share information about your interaction with your child, please consider completing my questionnaire (the link is http://survey.qut.edu.au/f/179411/4ef1/ ).

I am looking forward to learning more from you and nice to meet you all,

Elena

#2 of 6 Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Done.

It's probably too late now but there were a couple of questions I found a bit hard to answer accurately and which may pose similar problems for other mothering respondents.

1. No "still breastfeeding" option in the 3-5yo questionnaire
2. The section on punishing my child. One of the questions was if I threaten punishment, how often do I follow through and deliver. I don't punish my children so I neither threaten nor follow through. But the "never" option makes it sound like I threaten but never follow through :-)

Interesting though. Will the results be available when you've finished?
elli12 likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks katelove,

This is really helpful feedback. I have noted it down and now also included a question into my follow-up survey regarding questions that were difficult to answer :)

We will not be reporting individual responses of participants but I will present the findings in academic journals and hopefully at some conferences as well. If I can find this thread again by the time I am done, I will post the link or the abstract here.

Thanks again so much for participating. We are still looking for more parents so in case you know of any with a child between the age of 1-10 years, please feel free to share the link to the online survey.

Have a nice day,

Elena

#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Elena,

Welcome to Mothering! Your study sounds fascinating! You might find more interest/input by posting in the toddler nutrition forum

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/17517/toddler-nutrition

and/or in childhood years http://www.mothering.com/community/f/65/the-childhood-years

also nutrition & good eating http://www.mothering.com/community/f/267/nutrition-and-good-eating

Good Luck!!

elli12 likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 6 Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM

Hello Elena

I am really interested in your survey.

I am an Early Childhood Nurse and also live in Australia.I have worked with young families for almost 30 years. Apart from helping parents with advice on sleeping, the next most common questions are around feeding. I think introducing solids/family foods causes the most concern. How, what and when ? I am really interested in your results .Will you publish your results?

elli12 likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Kerry,
I am glad to hear that you were interested in the survey. We are almost done with data collection (still need some parents of children in the age group 3-5 years) and will then start analysing. I will present the findings in academic journals and hopefully at some conferences as well. Maybe I can even post some information or the abstract on this thread, if I can still find it then.
Good luck with your very very relevant work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page