Nomadic, Boho, Vegan, Witchy Mama of 2 & TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Mothering.com and thusly, new to this group. I just read Mayim's article on her newest venture into Lactation education and found out about this website! I couldn't be happier to find it, too! I am a Mama to 2 beautiful little girls ages 8 & 2 3/4 and as of 3 days ago, my Hubby and I are TTC baby #3...my tree baby. (I think I will name him/her a tree name.)

Anyways, we are a fulltime RVing family of 4 and 2 male cats-ages 10. We've been over the road for almost a whole year for my Hubby's job and absolutely LOVE our nomadic lifestyle!

About me:

I homeschool (roadschool), used Oak Meadow for 1st grade (not challenging enough for my daughter), so we switched to Calvert for 2nd grade. She's made that curriculum her b**** and I couldn't be happier. Oak Meadow helped me to learn how to approach her current lessons with more of a Waldorf, nature-based and laid back approach. It's taught me that just because she has this, this and this to do, it doesn't mean we have to do it in the order they say, or even the way or day they say to do it. We get outside daily to commune with nature & appreciate its beauty.

I've been Wiccan for 8 years and with that comes and immense respect for Mother Nature and all she encompasses...it was my biggest influence to attachment parent.

I am a Yogini...but not the kind that can bend myself into 10 knots...3 maybe...but not 10. I can do a headstand, but not a handstand because I'm terrified of being upside-down without contact to the ground via my dome, lol! I love hip-openers, backbends & balance poses.

We live in a 28' long RV (which amounts to 232 sq ft of living space for 4 people (hopefully soon to be 5)...and not all of that square footage is liveable space)! We've visited 14 states in less than a year's time & lived in Virginia, Arizona & currently, New Mexico. We're from Colorado, although I spent the first 16 years of my life an Illinoisan farm girl.

Our 1st daughter was born in the hospital. I was pressured into high doses of Pitocin and thusly received a non-working epidural & luckily a vaginal birth, but an epic fail with breastfeeding due to all of that 10 days later. In hindsight, I totally feel like I was set up for failure. Fortunately, she's a rockstar, and none of that affected her too negatively...she is quicker to get run down though & sick.

Our 2nd daughter was born at home, 5 weeks early, in the bathtub with midwife, Hubby, my Mom & our daughter (5 yrs @ the time) all present. My water started leaking (exactly the same way w/ my 1st pregnancy), but instead of freaking out and running to the hospital, I pounded water for 71 hours until I finally went into labor & delivered 45 minutes later. It was beautiful, serence, unpressured, incredible and magical. I combined the "Fear of Childbirth" & "Bradley Methods" to have a silent labor & relatively silent birthing experience. Breastfed baby 1 hour later, she stayed attached to placenta 2 hours post-birth, & although we had some bumps in the road w/ breastfeeding, I never gave up & EBF her the 1st 6 months and nursed her til the day of her 2nd birthday.

We select Vaccinate, babywear, co-sleep, feed on demand, gentle discipline, cloth diaper (everyone's potty learned now though), exclusively breastfeed (the 2nd girl at least), skin to skin contact & do not ever let our babies cry it out.

I'm Vegan (mostly Raw) with very minimal processed, sugar laden or bleached foods. Our daughters are mostly vegetarian, Hubby is a straight-up meat and potatoes kind of man, and everyone enjoys a vegan meal from time to time.

I don't think we own a single toy that requires batteries. I try to buy mostly everything Made in USA, recycled, repurposed, used, organic, all-natural, fair trade, non-plastic and whatever else you can think of. I'm not perfect though. A lot of my favorite Boho stuff is plastic or sometimes made in China...

I don't condemn other people for raising their kids differently than I (unless I believe you're about to kill them due to straight up neglect or child abuse)...and I also try not to judge their choices. Who know why they are doing things the way they are, but it's none of my business. I realize that raising children in this world is hard enough without having a billion people disagreeing with you constantly just because you believe differently than them. I hate drama and try to avoid it at all costs. I believe everyone should tolerate others for their differences, their strengths and their weaknesses and love them because of those qualities! 

I am a firm believer in my 2nd amendment rights and my right to protect my family should I need to. I try to always practice non-violence, but if it comes down to stopping you or you hurting my children in irreversible, sadistic ways, you better believe that I won't think twice.

The love of my life and father to our girls, is an all-black wearing, skull & crossbones loving, beer guzzling, chain smoking, hard working, back breaking, dirty hands type of Man. I am an official non-smoker of 7 whole months now and counting and I couldn't be prouder of myself! (After 17 years of smoking, it feels fabulous to take up running and actually not get winded!)

Um...my favorite colors are green & purple, I love ALLLLLLLL music (I am not picky), I am a musician (piano, drums, all other percussion, baritone saxophone, & singer), I love to dance, sew, knit, cook, bake, paint, interior decorate, remodel, renovate, camp, hike, run, dance in the rain & I enjoy learning all kinds of new hobbies! My most recent adventure has been baking sourdough bread from scratch...I even caught my own wild yeast spores! It was delicious. (I'm looking into learning how to make my own soap soon!)

If you're interested in seeing what our crazy & not-so-crazy life is like, our blog can be found here:

http://boho-hobos.blogspot.com

or our FB page is:

http://facebook.com/BohoHobos

I can't wait to make new friends on here and meet fellow Mamas with similar beliefs and lifestyles!

Blessed Be and Namaste!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 AM

Been reading your blog last night. You lead an interesting life and have such happy kids, I noticed. :) Welcome to our loving community. I hope you stay and don't move on.

All the best,

Alex

Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the kind welcome Alex! I doubt I'll ever leave this place, I feel as though I've been searching for it forever!!! And yes, my girls are very happy (for the most part). Our adventures allow us many opportunities, but it does get lonely sometimes without being near our family and friends back in Colorado. We've adapted pretty well to this lifestyle though, regardless of the miles between us. :) It helps beings only 7 hours away from everyone now, too! ;)

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Boho-Hobos View Post

Thank you for the kind welcome Alex! I doubt I'll ever leave this place, I feel as though I've been searching for it forever!!! And yes, my girls are very happy (for the most part). Our adventures allow us many opportunities, but it does get lonely sometimes without being near our family and friends back in Colorado. We've adapted pretty well to this lifestyle though, regardless of the miles between us. :) It helps beings only 7 hours away from everyone now, too! ;)

Must be good fun for your children to run hog-wild in the Great Outdoors. Likewise my family's kids, but on our farm. i'm lonely, too, don't have any real life friends, but have learnt to adapt and as my family are young and adventurous, we make the best of each day as it comes.

Do you have satellite internet? Like using a terminal?

Do mingle. Jump in on any topic and get involved.  I'd like to read your posts. Enjoy your time with us, okie dokes? :thumb 

Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Hey there, I just joined Mothering as well. Your family is so cute. My husband and I lived in a camper this past summer and helped on a goat farm. We felt like nomads too. I admire what you guys are doing! What a cool way to teach your kids about life. I think it would be a great experience to travel all over. :) 

Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hello and welcome.  I miss having an RV, but we ended up selling ours after our second was born. Enjoy the Mothering board!

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you 2Roses and Viola! We do love RVing and I hope it doesn't come to an end anytime soon! :) Being Nomadic has taught us so much already! It's a wonderful lifestyle for us right now, but who knows what the future holds. I just take life one day at a time, acknowledge everything happens for a reason, and enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Old 04-18-2014, 03:58 PM

How do you rate Airstreams? I heard you guys either love them or hate them. They do look very nice, have to admit, but one dent and -

Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Very envious of your mobile lifestyle-- it sounds fantastic! What do you think are the major positives and negatives of RVing? Is it expensive?

User Tag List