new member new mom.. need advice! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I dont really know how this works so bear with me here..
I am 22 yrs old and on my 5th pregnancy. My first 4 pregnancies were classified as anembryonic and resulted in miscarriages. I am now abt 8 weeks pregnant in a few days and had an ultrasound done a week ago to make sure this pregnancy was viable and to my surprise they picked up a tiny heartbeat and an embryo had started to develop in my gestational sac! That has never been the case in my previous 4 pregnancies so im kind of getting excited but dont want to get my hopes up just yet. Its still very early and at my ob appt on the 23rd (yesterday) I was told they wouldnt be doing another ultrasound for 4-6 weeks at least. I think thats too long givwn my history to miscarry but my ob refuses to do one sooner. I am currently trying to find a high risk ob that will gibe me and my baby the care I feel we need at this vital point in its development but idk if im doing the right thing or overreacting.. any opinions on this? Would be much appreciated.
Also I have been experiencing severe nausea for which I was given zofran but have now been (& im sorry for the tmi) severely constipated. I havent had a BM in 6 days and am in a lot of discomfort and pain because of it. Also I fear my baby isnt getting the nutrients it needs to continue development bc of my loss of appetite due to the constipation pressure and pain ive been experiencing.
I have so many questions and my ob kinda disregarded the few I got to ask with empty answers and rushed out of my appt to her next patient. When I told her I was experiencing severe abdominal pain probly due to constipation she just replied with "I dont know what to tell u. Pain is often quite normal in early pregnancy"... any thoughts on this?? Please help me! Im so confused as to whats normal and whats not and how to get into a high risk ob and this whole thing really just has stressed and at a loss for what to do...
#2 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congratulations on your pregnancy :-) I'm sorry you're not getting useful information and support from your doctor. I suggest you find another one, or consider a midwife.

Zofran is *very* constipating, as you've discovered. At this stage you wi probably need to be fairly aggressive with the laxatives to get it under control. Lactulose and coloxyl with senna can both be used in pregnancy. I'd suggest you talk to a pharmacist or your GP about an initial regime and a maintenance program. I was able to maintain with just Metamucil once I realised what an issue it was and got it sorted out.

Regarding the ultrasound. Once you have seen the heartbeat the risk of miscarriage drops significantly. The nausea is also a good sign. An ultrasound is not going to prevent or treat any problems. It is a limited diagnostic tool only. While another ultrasound sooner may be reassuring for you it isn't going to prevent any problems. And, at this early stage the treatment options are pretty limited as well. But, I would definitely get a new care provider. One who doesn't explain all this to you or give you solutions to simple problems like constipation is not going to be useful to you for anything else either.

I wouldn't worry too much about nutrients. Little babies are very good at getting what they needs from mama's body and you have stores of a number of the essentials. Hopefully once you get the constipation under control in a few days, you will feel more like eating.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank u for ur help katelove! I feel a little better about my pregnancy after talking to so many wonderful mamas on this site! I am still a little concerned but definately not as freaked out as I was a cpl days ago or even yesterday.
I am, however, concerned about this constipation. I couldnt keep the milk of mag down for more than an hr and I tried the colace stool softener (even washed it down with a big glass of metemucil) to no avail. I was told by my OB to try the glycerine suppository so thats my plans for today. Heres to hoping it actually works so I can feel some relief. If not I was told to go to the er because it could be a more severe impaction.. ugh. Do you think I could take Tylenol to help with the abdominal pain im having? I cant remember what kinds of pain meds I can and cannot take during pregnancy. This is all new to me and im pretty much going it alone right now..
#4 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Welcome Mama & congrats on your pregnancy!!

Tylenol used to be considered safe to take but is now being linked to ADHD... :(

There are essential oils that can help w/all of your symptoms that are affordable and not detrimental in any way to your baby! Let me know if you want more info on them. 
Have you joined your due date club yet? http://www.mothering.com/community/a/join-your-due-date-club

Or talked to other mamas in the pregnancy forum? http://www.mothering.com/community/f/19/im-pregnant

You'll find lots of support there! 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 PM

Welcome Mama to the forum and congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

I didn't know that about Tylenol, but if you can get liquid Paracetamol, that is very fast acting, more so than in tablet form. Check first with your doctor - Normal dose is FOUR 5ml/250g teaspoons FOUR times a day. No more than 4 doses in 24 hours. I use liquid Paracetamol for general headaches and mild to moderate pain. It's very effective and long lasting.

I'm a young mum who has found tremendous support here.

#6 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Panadol is still the drug of choice for simple pain relief in pregnancy, However, as pescottchels mentioned there is some evidence that it may be associated with ADHD and asthma. It is unclear yet whether amount and/or timing are important factors. I used it when I was pregnant when I felt it was absolutely essential but I was much more thougtful about it than when I am not pregnant.

Metamucil won't help at the moment. It is a bulking agent. You use it for prevention, not treatment. Sounds like the suppositories are the way to go, if you can't keep anything down. And, I agree, ED may be the only option of that doesn't work.

#7 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the glycerine suppository and got no results. So then I tried a fleet enema and also got very little results. I had some liquid stool along with tiny pellet stools but not very much. Also it made my cramping 10x's worse so I ended up going to the hospital. I was given fluids and a digit rectal exam but was sent home on the account that they didnt feel any blockage n said they didnt feel a mass in my stomach when me, my bf, and my friend all felt it. They said there was nothing they could do for me and to call my OB. Well by the time I left the hospital my OB and family doctors offices were closed so im SOL until monday. Im still having severe cramps. Im not sure what I should do. Its been a week since ive had a real bowel movement and im in so much pain :/
#8 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I had to switch to prenatal gummies without iron in them. I was also told that the zofran couldnt be apart of constipating me but everything ive read says it does.. I was given fluids at the hospital because I was dehydrated but thats all. I left feeling the same as I did when I went in..
#9 of 14 Old 04-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Who told you the zofran doesn't cause constipation? The hospital? Is there another hospital you can go to? If not, I suggest you wait until change of shift and go back again. I don't know what the norm is over there but you will usually get a change of medical staff at around 8am, 5pm and 10-11pm. Did you tell them you haven't had your bowels open for a week?

Also, have you tried coloxyl and senna? It's a tablet so it may be easier to keep down than the liquids.

#10 of 14 Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah the hospital told me that and gave it to me in my iv. Which threw me off completely bc I was sure everyone else had said it did cause it. But the hospital here is a joke which is why ill be driving 30 minutes to a different hospital to have my baby.
On a different note I finally had a big BM last night and feel much better. smile.gif
Quick question.. I am a very small girl. I was told that bc im so small and muscular in my stomach (ibe been a dancer my whole life I wasnt just blessed like that lol) that I would feel slight cramping through the whole first trimester due to my uterus growing.. which kind of sounds right.. but then I was also told I shouldnt feel any pain or cramping in my abdomin from a normal pregnancy.. im getting so much mixed answers to everything and it would help if any of you tiny women out there could tell me how u felt with your first pregnancy..
#11 of 14 Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 PM

Glad you're feeling better. I would suggest you only go to the other hospital in future, even if it is a nuisance to drive a bit further.

It is quite normal to have some cramping in the first trikes and to also have stretching ligament pain (which can occur anytime). If you're worried or have any bleeding or other vaginal discharge with the pain then you need to talk to someone straight away though.

#12 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Katelove: I have had discharge.. but nothing that seemed abnormal as far as having an odor or weird consistency. Should I not be having any at all? I will be seeing a new ob tomoro that is affiliated with a better hospital to have more bloodwork ran to test my levels. Should I bring up the discharge or is it nothing to worry abt? I have had no spotting or bleeding tho..
#13 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 01:40 PM

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. It's normal to have some clear or white thin discharge all through pregnancy. I should have said if there was bleeding or thick mucousy discharge.

#14 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh okay then I should be safe as far as that goes. Thanks for clearing that up I was worried for a sec cuz ive noticed quite a lot of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page