Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Treesnleaves

#1 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel myself slipping

I need to vent. I've been super stressed lately with work and money, and the fact that my spouse wants another child(and I don't). On top of that, there's a new puppy and three year old twins who are pushing every boundary all the time. I'm the breadwinner and am out of the house most days, leaving before the family wakes but usually home with a couple hours to spend time with everyone before the kids go to sleep. I have a pretty great life by most standards: house, cars, work, cats... But lately, and ever more often, I'm consumed with anxiety and anger. And I know that it's affecting my children, but I just don't know how to curb it. Sometimes I smoke a joint or drink a beer, and that takes the edge off- but those are temporary fixes. I just feel so trapped. My spouse wants another child, and though at times I think it would be sweet to relive those early days of baby, I just really am not excited about being responsible for another human being for the next 18+ years. I was never a girl who dreamt of having kids. Ever. And though I love my children now, and can't imagine life without them, I know that another child is not what I want right now- or maybe ever. The cost, the stress the relationship with my spouse, the stress on my relationship with my current children. I just don't know how much more personal stress I can take on. Part of me just wants to bury myself in work and never look up. But I become a real bitch when I do that. I get shitty and irritable and impatient. My youngest daughter recently told my spouse that I scare her. And I know I did- after the 100th time of her getting out of bed tonight, I finally got stern with her and scared her with a sharp tone. But I hate that I did that. It's just eroding our bond. I just don't know how to get to a place where I can just be me , be happy, and leave the stress behind. Because our house right now is not a calm and peaceful home. It's a mess. And I fear that my kids are going to grow up to hate me (or resent me, or avoid me), and I just dont want that. I don't know what's wrong with me.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesnleaves View Post
I need to vent. I've been super stressed lately with work and money, and the fact that my spouse wants another child(and I don't). On top of that, there's a new puppy and three year old twins who are pushing every boundary all the time. I'm the breadwinner and am out of the house most days, leaving before the family wakes but usually home with a couple hours to spend time with everyone before the kids go to sleep. I have a pretty great life by most standards: house, cars, work, cats... But lately, and ever more often, I'm consumed with anxiety and anger. And I know that it's affecting my children, but I just don't know how to curb it. Sometimes I smoke a joint or drink a beer, and that takes the edge off- but those are temporary fixes. I just feel so trapped. My spouse wants another child, and though at times I think it would be sweet to relive those early days of baby, I just really am not excited about being responsible for another human being for the next 18+ years. I was never a girl who dreamt of having kids. Ever. And though I love my children now, and can't imagine life without them, I know that another child is not what I want right now- or maybe ever. The cost, the stress the relationship with my spouse, the stress on my relationship with my current children. I just don't know how much more personal stress I can take on. Part of me just wants to bury myself in work and never look up. But I become a real bitch when I do that. I get shitty and irritable and impatient. My youngest daughter recently told my spouse that I scare her. And I know I did- after the 100th time of her getting out of bed tonight, I finally got stern with her and scared her with a sharp tone. But I hate that I did that. It's just eroding our bond. I just don't know how to get to a place where I can just be me , be happy, and leave the stress behind. Because our house right now is not a calm and peaceful home. It's a mess. And I fear that my kids are going to grow up to hate me (or resent me, or avoid me), and I just dont want that. I don't know what's wrong with me.
Treesnleaves, Glad you found this place to vent mama. You are not alone. It's normal to get shitty and impatient and irritable. Maybe you could benefit from some counseling, maybe a heart to heart with your spouse about where you are right now and trying to cultivate some peace in your household before you try to take on adding anything in? Hope you find what you need. Good luck.
#3 of 3 Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome and hugs to you! I had always heard of the terrible twos but my kiddos were so much fun at two. Three was an absolutely crazy age for both my kiddos. I cringe away from imagining surviving through that with twin three year olds! Hang in there!
I recommend copying your post and putting it in Personal Growth or Parents as Partners forums. Not everyone reads the new member introductions.
Glad you found a moment to yourself for a bit of venting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page