Upset new member!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't take it personally, people are just busy. Right now I'm pumping, making breakfast, AND getting my internet fix. Gotta run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 11:58 AM

Just wanted to provide you w/a link to the Seattle Nurse-In in the FYT Forum:http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showthread.php?t=298585 There will be tons of MDC Mamas, Babies, Toddlers & Kids attending. Hope to see you there.

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 06-17-2005, 12:11 PM

I hope your feeling a little better now.
I didnt go through the 4 pages to see what anyone said.

I live in NH(southern) now and grew up my whole life just 3 miles north of Boston.
I sure could use a play date, wanna move back here?(pretty shy irl about meeting people)
Tammi
Old 06-17-2005, 02:42 PM

Hawaii too? Wow! We have lots in common. I forgot to say that Nadia was actually born in Hawaii. :LOL
Where did you go backpacking? Kauai? We lived in Puna on the Big Island. My family has been there about 20 years.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM

I live on Bainbridge Island (right across from Seattle), but I haven't even gotten around to looking for other people in the area because I don't have a baby yet and still work full-time : I've been following this thread from the beginning (I think I was the first to read your op, but I was on the way out the door at the time...) and I just wanted to say, WELCOME!!!

I totally agree with everyone else that we're all really busy, but it's too bad that we all had to be busy when you were introducing yourself... I hope that you have a good experience with the board from now on We're pretty friendly folks around here! I'm really really crunchy, but I would never look down on anyone for their personal decisions and ways they believe are right. After all, I believe that my personal decisions are right for me and I would hate to be judged harshly for them.

I'm from Georgia originally and my family is mainstream, meat-eating - at every single meal, hospital-birthing, vaxing, circing, etc. I'm totally opposite from them, but my Mother is so supportive of all my crazy ideas! My parents used to live up here, but my mom really missed the friendliness of the Deep South so they moved back there a couple years ago. I have some relatives who live in Texas, but I don't know them very well...

I have to be getting ready for work (as always...) so yeah... welcome!

love and peace. :

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 06-17-2005, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

we were backpacking on oahu and camped out near the north shore. we were getting ready to head to the big island when we found out about our precious surprise! needless to say I was a little shocked so I wanted to come back to the main land. my parents helped me out so I ended up back in Texas (dh went fishing in alsaka to make money since we had none!) then we ended up staying in Texas until we could afford a big move. He took charge and insisted we move to new england to build a house there. NH was nice but tooooo cold and the part we were in was very isolated not to mention his mom was staying with us every single weekend for 3-4 days at a time. drove me nuts

thanks for the warm welcome to you all!
hey..my family eats meat with every meal and can not do with out it too..lol. they think I'm the weirdest thing to cross their paths! my mom is the most supportive person of my descions too. i think they kept saying "it's a phase"...that hasn't passed yet. although they have never lived anywhere else but texas and would never ever leave. they think my kids names are freaky too! we are from a small small town south of san antonio...people honestly would be shocked of this place..i know i am every time my mom sends me the local paper! the woman who owns it has a daughter who was my sis's bf in high school and refuses to talk to my sis because she says she is a traitor against the president for not believing in him...and she doesn't drive a ford..i know, i know....she even calls "northern" people damn yankees! my dh loved that one!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:23 PM

HI and welcome!!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:26 PM

I drive a Ford SUV :
But I really want to trade it in for something smaller. I just can't get Dimitrius to agree.
I had no problems being a vegetarian in Texas. I even ate at steak houses and found lots of yummy side dishes like baked sweet potatoes and cheese fries. I come from a long line of vegetarians though so I've never gotten much grief about it. My best friend and her family are like my 2nd family and I lived with them for years without problems. They are big time carnivores but loved when I cooked them vegetarian meals. They live in Boerne.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:28 PM

MDC is different from other site in that it's large, there are a lot of "specialized" forums, and there is not a lot of "personal" posting in the sense of "we are friends on this board" like you might get on, for example, a birth club/due date board where it is a limited group of people posting for a long time together and getting to know each other. It's more like, if you want to talk about slings, ask a Q on the sling board and people will respond to it and try to help you with the info you need. If you want to talk about a MC, post on the pregnancy loss board and people will hug you and support you, etc. Talk Amongst Ourselves is prolly the "chattiest" board, so maybe that's a good place to hang out for a bit if that's what you are looking for. HTH!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:LOL

You are in for a lot of stress if you take it personally and have a heart attack anytime you don't get a bunch of responses. This board has ... how many hundreds of members now? and just as you're following your own personal agenda of socializing and making connections, so is every one of the other members following their own.

Jump in and start running your mouth and pretty soon people will know you by name. (Hey, it worked for me.)

Welcome to MDC.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Hi,I'm fairly new and I had only been looking in the section concerning those whose due date was in January 06 like me. I didn't think to look anywhere else but then your thread caught me eye. Anyway, I don't mind that you are from Texas because I was born and raised ..here, in Texas. (Although, I too, am not a Bush fan.)

I just wanted to say hello!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:22 PM

Hi Leslie, this is Lisa (mom to Chloe) from preschool.

I too post on this board, but I've never really looked for anything socially here before. Anyway, I really like to read the posts here...surprised to find someone that I know

Come and check out the lynnwood playgroup at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lynnwoodplaygroup/

You'll have to ask to be put onto the mailing list for playgroup locations so that you'll know where the playgroup is meeting. I plan on attending starting next thursday. The moderator's name is Jessica.

Also, you can call me anytime....I'm always up for a girls night out or playdate.

See you Monday
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 06-18-2005, 05:42 AM

Oh, for goodness sakes. Not everyone reads "pleased to meet you". Just start reading and jump in anytime. You're more likely to get a response that way.

I'm always glad to see new members, but I don't always check out PTMY. Welcome.

Olivia
Old 06-18-2005, 12:12 PM

Hi Leslie!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilech
Oh, for goodness sakes. Not everyone reads "pleased to meet you". Just start reading and jump in anytime. You're more likely to get a response that way.
This is why it bugs me that this thread was moved. The OP posted in the local tribe, not PTMY, and wanted local responses. People keep responding this way, but if you read the original post in context, it makes more sense.

I don't read PTMY myself, never posted there...
Old 06-19-2005, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

It is confusing, huh! the op was in my tribes forum but was moved by the moderator for reasons unknown to me. but thanks for all the replies! and welcome to those of you who are new too! you know what is funny? I found mdc by accident searching something..and was thrown straight into my tribe's forum and that's why I posted there. I was so new I didn't even know this pleased to meet ya forum existed until they moved it! Still discovering many things about this huge site. so I didn't even know I could post here as a newbie and that other do too!

Lisa,
Hi! How funny that we bumped into eachother here! I didn't think I knew anyone here either. I am having a good time reading in the wa/or/id tribe and plan on participating in the breastfeeding day in seattle. thanks for the info on the playgroups. Talk to you monday at the park! the kids had so much fun last week. I kept hearing Chole tell Nathan that Kai was Her friend. It was so cute! see you soon!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:29 AM

Leslie,
Just wanted to welcome you, I am new here to. Sorry I live in Michigan so I'm not in hanging out distance. That is to bad cause I think we would have a lot in common. Hang in there. I'm sure things will start to look up soon!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:26 PM

Welcome to MDC!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 AM

Welcome to MDC! You're the first newbie I've welcomed. Don't you feel special?

I only joined this month but I've found MDC to be much more welcoming and friendly than a due date mommy board that I belonged to since my pregnancy. On that board, if you're not part of the in crowd you just don't get many responses to genuine questions and concerns. But just wait until some member of the clique posts something (a lot of times OT) then all the fellow clique members jump on it and the thread gets filled up. Those who aren't part of the crowd are lucky to get 2-3 responses to "Look at my baby's Halloween photos" etc. Sad. What mom wants someone to ignore her baby's cute photos. I won't name the board but I got fed up with the lame high school behavior. I'm done with popularity contests and cliques at this stage in my life, kwim. That's when I saw Mothering at the bookstore and got interested in this site. This place is HUUUGE! I mean like huge like the Himalayas. There are forums, sub forums, archives within forums. Jeez! There is so much to read. I'm learning a lot here. There's precious little time in the day to read all the threads that I want to. Anyway, didn't meant to ramble like this but it's late at night and I should probably be sleeping. I don't think anyone was ignoring you. I would say that people are focused on what interests them and many probably don't come to the newbie section of the board. Again..Welcome to MDC. Maybe we'll run into each other on the board again.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome, I lived in the Everett/Marysville area for about 5 years. Hope you like it here.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Wow. I'm not sure why this thread got bumped after all this time. I read the first post and thought, wow, I totally didn't see that introductory post! I'm from Lynnwood, right next to MLT, I would have been stoked. And I definately would have responded had I seen it. Then I noticed the date. I think that was before I joined. I didn't even bother making an introductory post in the local tribe when I did join... I just jumped right in, and quite honestly I feel ignored sometimes too, but it's a big place. I've killed my share of threads, and it's not the best of feelings, but I'm certainly not going to start complaining about it and making assumptions.

Anyway, I read the whole post... but I kind of wish I wouldn't have. It made me sad. That's a lot of assumptions to make about people you don't know. Especially based on politics-- there are a lot of conservatives on MDC. Natural living and/or parenting doesn't equal liberal politics. Jumping on people for not saying welcome just seems almost contradictory. I don't understand it.
In any case, I hope you found what you were looking for, whether it was here or somewhere else.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:29 PM

Old 11-19-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker
Wow. I'm not sure why this thread got bumped after all this time.
Me either.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:31 AM

:

Rhonda DW to Mike and DM to DD Jaci 18 and DS Tyler 15- also GM to Zander 6 mo
Old 11-21-2005, 01:48 AM

Yeah, I read half of it before I realized that....I got the part where someone talked about members in this area (I live in the same area as the op) going camping and I thought "CAMPING? are this people nuts? it is damn cold!" Then I looked at the date

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Old 11-23-2005, 01:55 PM

Hi , I too read and do not always post , but hello ! I love it here and I am sure you will too . Everyone is lovely and individuals are all differant but nice
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Hello! Welcome!

Sorry your first post didn't get much response. I don't usually come over in this forum too often.

Please, know that you're welcome at MDC.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:04 PM

I like you!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:25 PM

User Tag List