Hello from michigan :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

My name is Michelle and Im soon to be a first time Momma in April. I am newly married -in May and very happy. I teach full time in a local school district (near Detroit) and I teach special education - rightnow I am working with kids who have emotional disorders. I LOVE what I do. It is just my second year.

After I have the baby, I will return to work full time the following school year. I dont really have a choice in this one - its just a MUST to keep my family fed. Daddy works full time and its not enough to make the mortage. I am terrified about finding a good daycare provider - I dont want my child to be plopped in front of a tv and stuck in a bouncy seat for 8 hours a day. It was disheartening when I called to various day care centers and the rates - it seems almost like my husbands pay check is going to pay for day care and car insurance.

I am hoping to cosleep for at least the first months - we have a cosleeper and I plan to nurse and then pump when I return to work. I have already called my local LeLeche League. I have also been stocking up slowly on bumpkins, happy heinys etc. I am imagine we will cloth diaper when at home and then daycare - Im not too sure about.

I am getting so excited. Hubbie (relucantly) and I start Bradley Birth classes soon - I have some serious medical issues (over active immune system/potential for anaphalaxis/life threating swelling) that may make most of my natural birth ideas go down the toilet but my doctor is working her butt off to ensure I deliver naturally. The Bradley classes will help hubbie and I know are options.

I look forward to meeting people - especially Michigan Moms. I am finding being a Mom is a bit lonely. Back in my day - I was the punk rock mom with purple hair who went to bars and had lots of adventures - now Im married and slightly more settled and I enjoy learning new things about the baby, cooking, and playing with my 2 pug doggies. Its a strange life change - none of my friends are really having babies or getting married. Its a shift in life style.

I think my husband would love meeting other Dads too - he is quite the geeky boy and likes computers and rice cars. And claiming shared custody of my belly.

Im going to cross post this into tribes as well.

Thanks for listening. Im not always the best as responding to threads but I do read them

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#2 of 25 Old 01-21-2006, 09:47 PM

Hi Michelle, I'm in Lansing. I think that once you actually have your baby, you'll tend to get plugged into the "mom scene" more easily. Keep your eyes and ears open for any local moms groups you can join. Do any of your fellow teachers have young children? They might be a good source of info. Even if they themselves don't attend a group, they might know of some through friends, etc. Check to see if LLL has a local meeting that is held at a time you can make it. Evening LLL meetings often have some working mothers in them.

As for daycare, it sounds like maybe your dh's job doesn't pay much? (Since you said his check doesn't cover the mortgage and will mostly be going toward childcare after the baby...) Would he consider being a stay at home dad? Many moms end up quiting work because once gas, work clothing, lunch, child care and other expences are considered it's actually cheaper, more convenient, and better for the kid. This might be the case for your family as well, only with *his* job being the one that isn't worth it. Not all men are interested, but it's something to keep in mind. Even if he's not open to it now, he might be more open once he meets his little one and gets to feel confident with him or her. Just a thought...

Good luck with the rest of your pg and your birth. I hope those nasty complications never arise!

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#3 of 25 Old 01-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Hi Michelle! My name is Dawn, I live in the downriver area (southern wayne county) I was married this past March, and we are expecting our first at the end of March. I also have a 4 yo little girl from a previous marriage.

Glad to have you here, welcome!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#4 of 25 Old 01-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Hi Michelle, I'm in Ferndale, so maybe not too far from you! I'm pregnant with my first, too, and I'm due in June, so you'll beat me by a few months. Your job sounds awesome, it's so great you are doing something you love!

Well, if you ever want to chat or whatever let me know! DH and I moved to the area about 2 years ago, and we didn't know anyone when we moved here (for his job). We're slowly meeting people, and kind of hoping that the babe might be a good catalyst for meeting more people, too! I'm hopefully going to start going to the LLL group meetings soon (probably the Ferndale/Oak Park chapter).

I'm not sure what county you live in, but there's a pretty good yahoogroups list for AP moms in Wayne county (which I don't even technically live in, but that's ok! They haven't thrown me out yet). They have get togethers occasionally, as do the the Detroit area moms list over on the Michigan boards. I haven't been to any yet (I feel kind of funny going not having the kidlet yet - but that could just be me!) The website for the AP Wayne Country group is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AttachedinWayneCounty/

Anyway, congratulations on your pregnancy! Hope all goes well. Take Care - Chessa (aka Keeta)

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#5 of 25 Old 01-21-2006, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
#6 of 25 Old 01-21-2006, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#7 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125
Hi Michelle! My name is Dawn, I live in the downriver area (southern wayne county) I was married this past March, and we are expecting our first at the end of March. I also have a 4 yo little girl from a previous marriage.

Glad to have you here, welcome!
Whee!

I live in southgate! Id love to meet a local mom.

#8 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
Hi Michelle, I'm in Ferndale, so maybe not too far from you! I'm pregnant with my first, too, and I'm due in June, so you'll beat me by a few months. Your job sounds awesome, it's so great you are doing something you love!

Well, if you ever want to chat or whatever let me know! DH and I moved to the area about 2 years ago, and we didn't know anyone when we moved here (for his job). We're slowly meeting people, and kind of hoping that the babe might be a good catalyst for meeting more people, too! I'm hopefully going to start going to the LLL group meetings soon (probably the Ferndale/Oak Park chapter).

I'm not sure what county you live in, but there's a pretty good yahoogroups list for AP moms in Wayne county (which I don't even technically live in, but that's ok! They haven't thrown me out yet). They have get togethers occasionally, as do the the Detroit area moms list over on the Michigan boards. I haven't been to any yet (I feel kind of funny going not having the kidlet yet - but that could just be me!) The website for the AP Wayne Country group is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AttachedinWayneCounty/

Anyway, congratulations on your pregnancy! Hope all goes well. Take Care - Chessa (aka Keeta)
I love in Southgate - so not so far!
Hello

#9 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties
Hi Michelle, I'm in Lansing. I think that once you actually have your baby, you'll tend to get plugged into the "mom scene" more easily. Keep your eyes and ears open for any local moms groups you can join. Do any of your fellow teachers have young children? They might be a good source of info. Even if they themselves don't attend a group, they might know of some through friends, etc. Check to see if LLL has a local meeting that is held at a time you can make it. Evening LLL meetings often have some working mothers in them.

As for daycare, it sounds like maybe your dh's job doesn't pay much? (Since you said his check doesn't cover the mortgage and will mostly be going toward childcare after the baby...) Would he consider being a stay at home dad? Many moms end up quiting work because once gas, work clothing, lunch, child care and other expences are considered it's actually cheaper, more convenient, and better for the kid. This might be the case for your family as well, only with *his* job being the one that isn't worth it. Not all men are interested, but it's something to keep in mind. Even if he's not open to it now, he might be more open once he meets his little one and gets to feel confident with him or her. Just a thought...

Good luck with the rest of your pg and your birth. I hope those nasty complications never arise!
His job pays well for what it is - he was lucky enough to start at 12.00 an hour but with a family - its nothing. He will get raises and its still hard. He has A LOT of family pressure to work full time and be the provider (he comes from an old school European family) and when he isnot working his emotions take a a slide that it is nearly impossible to live with.

Even if he only worked and it paid daycare - I think for the sake of peace - hed have to work. I may at some point talk to him about going back into restraunt management so he could work nights and weekends.

Im not sure - life is too costly!! but so worth it.

Thanks for the welcome

#10 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:24 AM

Hi Michelle! I am a mommy in MI as well. I just had twin girls this past September. I am glad you found mothering!
#11 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Keeta] They have get togethers occasionally, as do the the Detroit area moms list over on the Michigan boards. I haven't been to any yet (I feel kind of funny going not having the kidlet yet - but that could just be me!) QUOTE]

Hey from one of the moms from the michigan board who have get-togethers! Please don't feel funny about coming when you're cooking a baby. There are a few of us right now who are preggo, and a couple more thinking about trying (or planning to!). At the "coffee nights" only the moms who have nursing babies have their little ones with us anyway (most of the time) so, you'd both blend right in! We have been meeting in Royal Oak or Troy. We'd love to see you there next time...baby IN the belly, or out! We list the Coffee Night under "Detroit Area Mama's Coffee Night" or something close to that. Just had one last night as a matter of fact.

As for the cloth diapers in daycare, I've been a daycare provider/nanny/worked in a daycare for the last eighteen years and have used cloth diapers on kids whenever the parents requested it. However, I am of the crunchy-mom affiliation, so I use 'em, too! I know that there are many daycare providers who WOULDN'T be willing to use 'em, but then again, they are so much less expensive to use once you have them, it'd be silly to buy disposables just to make a dcp happy. Find one who respects you and your baby enough to use what you provide. Provide them with diapers "easy" enough that they can't tell the difference, anyway!

Happy to see you're here. Love to see more of you. Take care (and,with all the medical issues, it's probably BETTER if you can avoid interventions...have you heard of hypnobirthing? In my personal experience, it works about a zillion times better than Bradley, and should cost about the same for classes, if you haven't already taken them. If you have, just get the book and CD set and take a look. It really is a great way to avoid pain related interventions...my CNM suggested it to me and it's the best thing to happen to birth in decades.).

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#12 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:29 AM

Hi Michele- I live in ann arbor newly- i am starting a yahoo group for natural moms in michigan- I'll send an invite when its up and running. Your job sounds cool. When I had my first I thought I would work but never went back (I have 3 now) but I did start a work at home business selling jewelry at art fairs and to some stores, for a long time. It allowd me to stay home. Now my dh has gotten enough promotions and raises to allow me to just stay home- maybe that will happen for you in the future-sounds like he has room for growth in his career? Anyway I have a neice who is a teacher and she went back to work after 3 months and was able to pump 100 % for her little guy (they never had to give formula) I am so proud of her. So it can be done! Her dh works nights and weekends but they do have a sitter for a couple hours a day to pick up the slack. So it can work but you may have to juggle a little bit- anyway good luck!! and hello!!~C

OK here it is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturalmamas_mich
this is a very new group
#13 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:50 AM

Congratulations...
#14 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 12:53 AM

Welcome! I used to live around there Now in NW Ohio.
#15 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 03:17 AM

Don't live in Michigan but
#16 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 09:19 AM

#17 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Welcome to the boards.
#18 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM

w e l c o m e !

and congratulations on your pregnancy! enjoy it as much as you can...it's hard to find a more exciting and momentous time in your life than the transformation into a mother!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#19 of 25 Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 PM

:

Welcome fellow mama and teacher!

#20 of 25 Old 01-25-2006, 12:35 AM

welcome from a fellow michigander!
#21 of 25 Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#22 of 25 Old 01-26-2006, 04:31 PM

#23 of 25 Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM

Another MI mama sayin hi and welcome!!

You do not need to have had a child already to come to one of the gatherings.

I too used to dye my hair purple kind of miss it

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#24 of 25 Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 PM

and congrats
#25 of 25 Old 01-30-2006, 02:47 PM

Welcome to MDC!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page