New from Humboldt County Ca. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I was just looking around trying to find out how much truck drivers make in different states. It has been really hard to dig that up. My husband makes great money, but only for 6 months out of the year. I want to move somewhere, where he can make good money year round, and where there are great schools. We have a soon to be 11 year old and a 4 year old. Any ideas on how much truck drivers make ? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 PM

No idea, but
Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 AM

Welcome!

You'll love it here! I grew up in N. Cal! Sorry, I have no idea about truckers. Hopefully someone will be able to help you!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:18 PM

w e l c o m e !

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 06-30-2006, 01:07 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't know, either..

But I did want to say welcome to MDC!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 07-01-2006, 11:14 PM

Welcome to the boards.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcomes!! Now how come i am not allowed to look at my posts?:
Old 07-03-2006, 10:52 PM

to MDC. The search function has been temporarily disabled. It's nothing personal against you. I tried using it today too and couldn't get it to work.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 PM

It was up just now for me....

Welcome, by the way! I have a fantasy with my dh to move to Humboldt! We loooove it there. Still no info on the trucking, though!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 AM

sorry no trucking info. but

good luck
Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ew i hate it here, i am trying as fast as i can to move us somewhere else!!! lol
Old 07-04-2006, 12:49 AM

I love it. I'm in Eureka, but I do know that if I don't get up to Arcata or down to Southern Humboldt periodically, the economic depression in the area kind of gets to me.

I also went through a phase where I got mixed up with the wrong crowd, started wondering if my friends in San Francisco had been right about small towns all along, and kind of stayed in my house and didn't even try to make friends except on the internet for awhile.

I got over that fairly quickly and now I'm SO glad I moved my kidlets up here. It's hard to find work but there are more important things than money.

How long have you been here? I moved up in '98, had a "honeymoon phase" for about two years, then my "reclusive phase" hit.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 AM

:

My DH is about to head up there this weekend for a 2-week trip with his friend; his friend is in Arcata. We stayed up there for a couple weeks 2 years ago and I LOVED it! Of course, I had wanted to go to Humboldt for college and didn't, so that may be why... Sorry you're not happy there.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:18 PM

Teresa, PM me if you want to get together IRL. Safely, in a public place of course.The library is better for me than the mall because I literally don't carry money; my bills are paid and I've got canning jars full of fruit and a partial 50 lb sack of flour but I just don't "do" meals out and stuff. We missed this month's Art's Alive, but maybe we could do it in August. There are also free movies at Eureka Main on Thursday nights; this week it's Out of the Past.

Thinking outside the box really helps here. It's yard sale season right now and I could so redecorate my entire house for under $100 if I wanted to and if I had a truck. For the first time in my entire homeschooling journey I have all the textbooks I want, and I got all of them plus a ton of academic-oriented trade books and quite a few fun books for me and dd as well for $20 at the library fund raiser book sale.

I got Jacobs Algebra for a buck if that means anything to you.

I do have a friend who's in trucking, but I haven't seen him since you joined MDC and I don't think he's in town right now. If your dh has a smallish truck, I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs someone for dump runs, house moving, and picking up larger freecycled furniture.

I need to shut up now, Teresa, because I'm making everyone who doesn't live here jealous but I'm serious; this is a nice place to live after all; I thought I'd made a mistake too and sunk into a major depression by focusing on the negatives and not noticing the positives. I don't want you to waste your kids' childhoods by doing the same.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. I don't understand what you are saying, about school supplies n stuff...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 PM

I have no idea about truck drivers but I hope you find out soon and enjoy this site! Welcome

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, so far i love this site! this and ebay are the best ever!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Hey, another Humboldt co. mama on here, cool!!

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 PM

So Hum chiming in here! Welcome! I have to admit I searched the entire country for this place and love it - but then SoHum has it's own vibe. Next time you're in Garberville, stop by my store (Organic Grace) and say hi! (sorry no trucking info)

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM

i am learning a lot from you.. thanks for sharing..
Old 07-06-2006, 09:26 AM

ilovethis website..thanks for the people behind this site.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Hey Hum-mamas! I was so happy this morning to see Humboldt on my screen...I've been doing research to try to find areas in Humboldt that would be good to move to (we're in East Contra Costa County now). I really want to get back to the kind of area where I grew up - tons of trees, land to wander on, animals to care for, garden to grow, food to can, bread to bake...you know what I mean, right? DS is 6, going into 1st grade, but is GATE, so would need a decent school district; DD is 2 1/2, so we don't have an immediate need for school for her yet.

So I've been wondering what areas of Hum County you'd recommend. Favorite smallish towns? Is there ANY work available? I'm a legal secretary in Oakland, and am sure I couldn't find (or wouldn't want to find) FULL time work at the same rate, but do you think there'd be some secretarial part time stuff or transcription work? I used to be a baker, too, so I could go back to that (actually, I might prefer to do that part time rather than sit at a desk ). DH works for FedEx, so it's possible that he could transfer to - umm, maybe Eureka? Not sure where all the FedEx hubs are in the area.

Ok. So I'm rambling. If you could give me some input, I'd be ever so grateful. If nothing else, can I just talk/type to you guys & get my tree vibes from you that way?? Please?

Thanks, mamas.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Talia Rose, my son is the same age as your son, Zack; I'm going to drop by when I can afford tires for the car, but PM me if you're planning a Winco run or something and want to get the kids together before then in a public place that feels safe to you; Crasty's is half price on Wednesdays. Missing The Trees, work is very hard to find here, but there are several notable bakeries where you might want to send your resume, particularly The Flour Garden in Eureka. I'd advise you to think long and hard about such a major change in lifestyle. How would you feel about yourself if you wound up cleaning houses for $20 a day? Living in your car for awhile?

It's been said that Humbodlt exports its greatest resource: our children. I'm so sorry this happened to you and would love to see you come home again someday.

Anywho, we obviously need this Humboldt Mama's Tribe after all. My name's Heather and I should be at Park Day this Tuesday with my 14 year old if anyone already knows me IRL or wants to introduce themselves then.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Thanks, spider, for your cautions & words of wisdom...any move we make will take lots of pondering, praying & planning before we do it!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:23 PM

Sorry, I cannot help you - have you tried Google? It seems to spit out answers to *everything*!

Barbie
Old 07-07-2006, 01:54 AM

and good luck with your info. Perhaps there is a CDL site or other you can research?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:35 PM

spider...i would love to get together BUT don't think i will be headed north anytime soon as we are moving our biz into an old feed store that needs major renovation and i am busy like you wouldn't believe! how is it going with a teenager? mine is into black and heavy metal. he's still a great big bro though!
missing trees....garberville is a great alternative small community where you can find jobs often at the credit union (treats employees very well) or the hospital or clinic. housing, especially rentals is another story, and not a good one. but i love living where almost all woman breastfeed and the home birth rate is probably a third. and no one wears suits or ties ever. we do have fed ex of course, but they all come down from eureka....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Old 07-22-2006, 04:38 PM

Welcome!

As for truck drivers, my Dad was a truck driver for years, in Texas, Florida, and New Mexico. Never made any amount of decent living. If my mom had not worked, they would never have made it.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:05 PM

Welcome!
I love Humboldt!

User Tag List