Hello from Nova Scotia - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there! I'm from Nova Scotia as well. I live in a VERY small town on Cape Breton Island. I go to Truro regularly, I have family there. Beautiful town, very close minded though I always found. I have 2 boys, one 2.5 years and one 6 month old. Congrats on the birth of our daughter!
#32 of 43 Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Betty - it sounds like Lunenburg and Truro have lots in common! Ha ha... and I know what you mean about the "best and worst". Being in a small town has some great advantages but sometimes the culture really gets me down!! Lunenburg seems pretty sweet in a lot of ways though, and you have the ocean!

And yes - I HIGHLY recommend Maren, she is incredible. Her calm and gentle presence was wonderful to have during labour and birth. Book her for your next pregnancy!!
#33 of 43 Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan&Zav View Post
Hi there! I'm from Nova Scotia as well. I live in a VERY small town on Cape Breton Island. I go to Truro regularly, I have family there. Beautiful town, very close minded though I always found. I have 2 boys, one 2.5 years and one 6 month old. Congrats on the birth of our daughter!
Hey! Nice to see another Nova Scotian! I guess you can relate to the isolation factor, being up in (lovely) Cape Breton? It feels nice to know there are other small-town moms out there doing what I'm doing...
#34 of 43 Old 04-10-2007, 04:44 PM

(sorry it's been a few since I've had time to post.)

Truro really isn't that bad (sheepish grin
I'm just very biased toward the valley. Isn't if funny how a place (or a person) can become The Example of something, and turns into a family joke. Many favorite family moments have been laughing at the differences between Truro and Wolfville... they just seem to be the opposite sides of a spectrum. But really, people are people. I need to constantly remind myself that all the modern gadjety conventional medicine formula Mum in Truro and elsewhere do love their children as we do, and are modivated by exactly the same impuses as us: to protect them and provide the best life they can. And, also, to try to stay sane. It's real easy to be 'crunchy' in Wolfville. I do need to give this place a huge chunk of credit for keeping me on track in our AP endevors.
And, ofcourse, MDC deserves a little credit : )
I'm serious about the invite to Wolfville. New friends are wonderful. Especially ones with babies.

cheers,
Devin
#35 of 43 Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just reading the Chronicle Herald and saw that Wolfville is becoming the first Fair Trade Town in Canada! Congrats.
#36 of 43 Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermal View Post
But really, people are people. I need to constantly remind myself that all the modern gadjety conventional medicine formula Mum in Truro and elsewhere do love their children as we do, and are modivated by exactly the same impuses as us: to protect them and provide the best life they can.
hee hee hee... I like your "modern gadjety conventional medicine formula Mums" description! I was trying to explain to my sister-in-law why it was that I didn't feel like I was connecting with many Moms here in Truro... and that's the description I was looking for! I'd throw a "consumer-driven" adjective in there too.

BUT... that being said, you're right: we do all have the same goals and sometimes I just have to remind myself of that too, and not get bogged down by how crunchy or uncrunchy my acquaintances may be. Plus, I would seem pretty mainstream to some of the folks on MDC myself... it's all relative!

I'll keep you posted when we are heading to Wolfville next! Thanks for the invite!
#37 of 43 Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Labels are funny things.

We're impressed by the town's decision to go "Fair Trade" although what exactly that means is a bit ambiguous. It might jsut be a pr/marketing/tourism trick.
My partner works with Just Us! Coffee... the Canadian leaders in Fair Trade products, and really the srenght behind the town's new ambition. The coming declaration should make the cafe a little bussier for a few days : )

Why do we isolate ourselves from those other moms? I find it so hard when in the middle of a "consumer-driven" Mum conversation... I want to shake them, and steal their babies for a cuddle and a nurse. One woman I met recently (see, we're not ALL hippies in Wolfville) said that her daughter slept in a crib in her room her first night home, but noone slept well, so she gave up on that idea. It's really hard to keep smiling while she annouced that her baby obviously sleeps much better alone in her own room because she never wakes up her Mom and Dad in the middle of the night. Ahhhhhhh. But should we jsut be polite? I dont want to critisize anyone... and if a Mamma is talking about her solution to a problem, I dont want her to feel judgement. But but but but but.... it jsut feels so wrong sometimes. I want to nurse all the crying babies in the supermarket, hug all the babies stuck for hours in infant seats, and love all the children whose parents bully them into walking sooner, talking more, or kissing scary strangers in public.
#38 of 43 Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 PM

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#39 of 43 Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now I'm curious about the fair trade designation for Wolfville and I can't find the relevant details... how annoying! The certification is bestowed by Transfair Canada, who primarily certify businesses in Canada--Just Us among them, according to their website. They have copious info about the certification process for businesses, but nothing about the standards a town must meet. Urg.
#40 of 43 Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green betty View Post
Now I'm curious about the fair trade designation for Wolfville and I can't find the relevant details...
I dont think anyone's really clear on what it means... Generally transfair imeeds anyone from using the term "Fair Trade" unless everything in a product and the process by which it's poduced, can be determined to be fair trade. Obviously not everything in Wolfville will be fair trade... so I dont think Transfair is involved. My suspison is that it's a case of watering down a term, like calling a food "natural" to try to access a niche market without really improving anything about your product.

Check out Wolfville Watch... our local blog's take on this ... http://wolfvillewatch.blogharbor.com...0/2633640.html

or: http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/get_invo...rade_towns.htm
the criteria seem a little weak. mostly it's about PR and the coffee you drink.
#41 of 43 Old 04-13-2007, 07:09 PM

Welcome to MDC! After reading all these posts about how beautiful NS is, I'm inclined to make a journey there someday and see it for myself. I know that I love living in Northern Country for the beauty of the mountains and crisp, clean air. I'm in Alaska and love it here. Anyhow, glad you found us on the web. BTW, your dd and I share the same birthday. Hooray for the 23rd!

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#42 of 43 Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 AM

Hello and welcome!
#43 of 43 Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page