Hello from Nova Scotia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I have been lurking around MDC for a while now but am completely new to this whole forum scene... this is my first post to a message board EVER so it feels a bit strange!

I am a first-time mom to 4-month old Sappho Amelia and wife to my amazing hubbie, Glenn. We live in Nova Scotia, one of the most eastern provinces of Canada. We are having a ball with our little daughter and wow, what a life change. We are cloth diapering and I am breast-feeding (as long as possible), and I'm learning (and have lots of questions!) about some other popular MDC topics... organic food, babywearing, etc. Many of our friends consider us rather "crunchy" but in this context I feel rather "mainstream"... so I guess I'm a hybrid. : I certainly am looking forward to learning more about all these interesting issues and we are keen to lessen our impact on the environment and choose a natural lifestyle.

Oh and our first choice in parenting naturally was to enlist the help of a midwife in my pregnancy and birth experience. This was a big deal for us because midwives were not regulated in our province so we had to do some juggling between care from our midwife and care from the medical system. We had a hospital birth but I laboured at home until I was 10cm and Sappho was born within an hour of arriving at the hospital... no drugs for us!

Anyway, it looks like an exciting community here and I'm looking forward to learning more. Maybe also connecting with some like-minded moms near my community, too!

Thanks for sharing,

Sandra

Mom to Sappho Amelia (11/23/06), wife to Glenn
(still don't know how to make the fancy signatures!)
#2 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 03:52 PM

congrats on your daughter! cute name.

editing signature - go up to "user cp" then on the left you'll see "edit signature" and just put in whatever you want. but you'll need at least 60 posts (i think) to use more than one smiley in it.
#3 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 04:32 PM

Welcome. We are originally from NB but now live in Maine. I have visited NS many times, it is a beautiful province. Where in NS do you live?

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#4 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Welcome from another Canadian!

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#5 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome aboard! Where in NS are you? We're on the south shore...

cheers,
Betty
#6 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 05:05 PM

to the boards

You'll see

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#7 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 05:54 PM

Welcome. welcome, from another Canadian mum....you'll love it here.
#8 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 06:23 PM

Hi and welcome!
It's great (and surprising) to find another Nova Scotian here : )
We're in Wolfville. Yourself?
take care,
Devin
#9 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 PM

Welcome!!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#10 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 PM

Hi, and Welcome! We live in HRM! You will love it here!
#11 of 43 Old 03-31-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcomes!

Oops, forgot to say where I am... I'm in Truro, Nova Scotia. It's about an hour north of Halifax. "The Hub". Not as beautiful as Halifax or Wolfville or the south shore... but it's a great little town and a super place to raise a family. I'm originally from Dartmouth/Halifax so am a city girl in some ways but we are loving Truro (where my dh is from).
#12 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 AM

Welcome to the community! Glad that you're here! :

#13 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 AM

Hi!
I'm curious if you feel there is much of a culture difference in NS compared to the states...? I thinking particularly of birthing and parenting styles.
Glad you found us. Welcome!
#14 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 01:56 AM

welcome!
I love NS! My mom is from there and I spent every summer of my childhood, til I was 10 or 12 in New Canaan/Parsborro/Two Islands. I was bored as a kid, but those are some of the best memories I have. I brought my dh there for a week5 years ago, and 2 years ago my mom, my daughter and I went up for a few days. We always talk about moving there ;-)
#15 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Stacey,
Glad to hear you love NS... we do too! My dh is from Bass River, which is along the same shore as Parrsboro. It's beautiful isn't it! We had our wedding there, at his grandmother's farm on a "mountain" (NS version of mtns) overlooking the Bay of Fundy (same water as Parrsboro). It was pretty awesome. Hope you can come back sometime!!
#16 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbab View Post
Hi!
I'm curious if you feel there is much of a culture difference in NS compared to the states...? I thinking particularly of birthing and parenting styles.
Glad you found us. Welcome!
Hi natbab!
Interesting question on the cultural differences... in very general terms we often feel that there is a cultural difference between here and the States, but I would say that this is in very broad terms. I feel that here at MDC, I actually feel more "culturally" similar (in parenting style) to MDC people than I do to many people here at home - but I think that is because we are trying to choose the natural/organic/anti-consumerism lifestyle in some ways.

In terms of birthing, NS is very traditional. It was only in December that our gov't legislated that midwives be regulated... we had a midwife but they don't have (yet) any hospital priveleges, or access to the medical system for tests, etc. We did everything through the medical system (my family physician) and then brought our test results, etc. to the midwife. So we are slow to bring that aspect of birthing into the mainstream. That being said, it is my sense that there are a lot less interventions here than in some parts of the US... our C-section rate for example is still quite a bit lower than many parts of the States. I don't know what it is exactly but I'm guessing less than 15%. At our local hospital, epidurals are not even "guaranteed" because there is not 24-hr coverage for anasthesiologists. (This is partly just becuase we are a smaller community than Halifax so a smaller hospital...)

Anyway, i'm being vague but I guess that's because I think there are lots of differences in styles even within NS just because of differences in family values and lifestyle choices.

Any of you other NS gals care to comment? I may be way off base!!
#17 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermal View Post
Hi and welcome!
It's great (and surprising) to find another Nova Scotian here : )
We're in Wolfville. Yourself?
take care,
Devin
Hi Devin,
I agree, there don't seem to be too many Nova Scotians here, eh?!
We're in Truro... not nearly as crunchy-friendly a community as Wolfville! I went to Acadia so have a soft spot for your town... it's lovely!

Congrats on the breech birth at home! Makes me proud...
Sandra
#18 of 43 Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Hi and welcome! Congrats on the birth of your daughter - they do change your life, don't they?

Glad you are here!
#19 of 43 Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Hi Sandra et al,
I cant resist commenting on the question about cultural differences. My inlaws (dear sweet misquided people) live outside of Truro, in (Old Barns, fyi), and I did spend one lonely summer there a few years back. In complete contrast to Wolfville, our home and only 100ish km away, being in Truro feels like you've travleled back to the 50's... before feminism took root, before the environmental movement, and when all wemen disired to be gassed to sleep while their babies were torn from their bodies with forceps. In Wolfville, while spendidly pregnant strangers would smile, nod, and say "you're planning a home birth right?" or "Oh, you're going to love breast feeding." or "have you thought about what kind of sling/carrier you'll use. My experience was...." It's, atleast publically, a very crunchy town. In Truro we would explain about our homebirth to faces of compleat shock. "You did WHAT? Just like Little Home on the Prarie! You must have been TERRIFIED! Didn't it HURT?" Three times I've felt awkward breatfeedingin public. They've all been in Truro. Many Mommas there stilll insist on putting there babies to sleep in there tummies o save them from drowning in there requrgitated formula. The summer I spent in Truro I happily relied on a bicycle to get around, which graetly confused my co workers. One said she'd rather give up her finace then her car. In my experience it's a very strange place.
That said, I'm sure you'll have a great time Sandra. There must be pockets of wonderful people there, and it would be exciting to "pioneer" a different parenting style in a slowly changing town.
Be in touch if you're ever coming to the valley. we could drink fair trade organic decaf soy lattes togeather
Devin (and Auna, who wants to "help" type and nurse at the same time)

ps: who was your midwife. Karen? Louise?
#20 of 43 Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Devin,
OK I couldn't help but chuckle as I read your email! Big fan of Truro, are ya?! Your descriptions and anecdotes were not surprising to me at all, I'm afraid! We moved here because our family is all close and because my dh teaches English in this school board (and yes, his long curly hair has been throwing them off for years!) I like the town because we do have a lot of family here and friends... but you've pinpointed why I think I feel so isolated here. There are definitely a lot of moms around but I just feel like I can't relate to them! Sometimes I feel like I'm just being a snob and I'm not trying to meet people but you're right - I feel like a bit of a pioneer in some ways. Now I'm not an out and out hippie; not brave enough to completely abandon all of my mainstream ways... but it is tricky to find like-minded people here.

Thanks for the invite to the valley... I'll definiteyl look you up if I'm heading that way. Amazingly, we actually do have TWO fair trade cafes here in Truro now but it's still not the same as being in Wolfville!!!

Oh and my midwife was Maren. She was amazing. We had a hospital birth but stayed at home until the last possible moment, which was wonderful. I was 10cm when we went to the hospital and had a couple contractions right in the hospital parking lot, including one in the cross walk which stopped traffic. Imagine how Truro handled that one!!! (Fortunately I was way too in the zone to care one hoot about the stares!!)

So yes, my pioneering continues... baby steps at a time. I'm proudly breastfeeding wherever I can so that in itself is a start, I guess!!
#21 of 43 Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 AM

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#22 of 43 Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#23 of 43 Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Welcome to MDC

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#24 of 43 Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 AM

#25 of 43 Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 AM

#26 of 43 Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 AM

#27 of 43 Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 AM

Hybrid - I like that term here.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#28 of 43 Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM

to MDC!
#29 of 43 Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Welcome to the boards.
#30 of 43 Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gee, you guys make Wolfville sound so nice! We'll have to spend some time there this summer. I've been joking for years that Lunenburg embodies the best and the worst of 1953. Have you really moved into the current century over in the valley?

I so, so wish I had used Maren for a homebirth! She seems terrific.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page