quasi-crunchy moms welcome? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi bumperbee!

I'm also new and "semi-crunchy". I'm crunchier than most of my friends and family (for instance, I haven't even told anyone that we're planning a natural childbirth because I know I'll get negative feedback), but around here I'm definitely on the conservative side! Still, after checking out some other, more mainstream parenting forums I quickly realized I'll fit in better here than anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotiaMom View Post
Mommiska and others... your welcoming advice is awesome. I didn't start the thread but am glad to have participated in it. I look forward to doing lots of learning, researching, reading... and probably will read way more than I post but it seems that everyone is very open to that. I know I will have my eyes opened - and yes, will choose some options and leave others behind that don't appeal to me.

I am learning that this mothering thing is a lot about doing your research and then going with what feels right to you...
Well said, NovaScotiaMom!
#32 of 38 Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Welcome to MDC!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#33 of 38 Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 AM

Welcome, welcome!
#34 of 38 Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 AM

Well I´m considered ¨crunchy¨ by my friends and family because I own and use a sling and I´m ¨still¨ breastfeeding exclusively (my daughter is only 7 months old) : and because we eat mostly organinc produce. However we also vax, we don´t co sleep and I use disposable diapers (just to name a few things) Thatś just what we do. So I would probably be considered very ¨not crunchy¨ here. But I still enjoy reading different posts.

I like to read the different forums to get different points of view, whether I agree or not, itś neat to hear the other side. I mostly interested in the breastfeeding, and gentle discipline forums. But I´ve also learned alot from the Vax forums and circ forums ( I don´t have a boy, but if I do I´m leaning toward...no)
#35 of 38 Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Welcome!!
#36 of 38 Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Banned

Ah, a kindred spirit! I fall squarely into the "somewhat crispy" category, too. I've been involved with this site for about a month now, and I pick and choose, too. I had a natural birth (at a hospital), breastfeed my 10-month-old daughter, cloth diaper and use a sling carrier (both part-time), buy organic as much as I can when/if the sticker shock doesn't kill me, make my own baby food, wouldn't circumcise, am really interested in home and water births, etc.

BUT, my daughter gets all her vaccinations, I believe strongly in the public schools (yes, I know they have their problems-- me and my DH are both teachers), am willing to spank someday if needed as a last resort (I hope I won't have to), and so on. You have to do what's right for you. I hope to hear from you sometime! Whereabouts do you live?

Take care, Stacy
#37 of 38 Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM

#38 of 38 Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 AM

I've also been a relatively recent lurker on MDC who'd put herself in the "semi-crunchy" category who's really been a bit shy to post. It's good to hear that there are others out there and I'm guessing it's easy for our experiences and thoughts to get lost among some of the more vocal, more "crunchy" opinions out there.
It really has been hard to figure out exactly where I fit in parenting-wise and being in-between can sometimes be pretty isolating.
Example... I'll put myself out there and offer up the fact that I'm an MD (ob/gyn none-the-less) but plan to keep my mouth shut about most medical related stuff more because I know I've only heard one side of the story and I don't feel I have enough concrete knowledge about the non-medical side of the picture to pass judgement. I spend my days at work with super-moms who have nannies who work 60+ hours per week and find the most exciting part of parenting to be buying the trendiest baby gear who look at me with blank stares when I showed them pictures of me with baby in a sling.
On the other hand, as a full-time working mother, support structure for attachment parenting practices are limited given that most support/play groups are focused on weekdays, and many of the concrete practices are just not practical - cloth diapers at day care just wouldn't fly and gerber baby food will just have to do. I guess that's where on-line support comes in.

I guess that's just a long winded version of saying Hi.

-Radhika, mama to Ethan 9/06 and wife to Fred

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page