quasi-crunchy moms welcome? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
New Member? Introduce Yourself! > quasi-crunchy moms welcome?
bumperbee's Avatar bumperbee 09:30 PM 04-08-2007
Hello all! I'm new, I'm pregnant (with twins!) and I'm interested in adopting some of the practices that are espoused here. There are others that I'm not at all interested in, and still others that I would like to put into practice, but am trying not to have too high of expectations for, especially with twins.

I was wondering if some of the other moms, or moms to be are less 'crunchy' or whether I should stick around... how welcoming are people here for those that don't hold or follow the same ideals? Has it been helpful for you to pick and choose from the various practices stressed here?

kkar's Avatar kkar 10:25 PM 04-08-2007
Welcome!

I think there are a lot of people on this board who are somewhat, but not completely, crunchy. You can pick and choose what specific boards to read and participate in. And, more than anything, you might find it educational to hear other people's perspectives on things you've never thought of before (I know I have).
Martha_2sons's Avatar Martha_2sons 10:42 PM 04-08-2007
I'm still quite new to MDC but I've noticed different viewpoints being expressed and accepted. Also, I know for me, that there were certain aspects of parenting that I had one opinion on before I had a baby, and a totally different one on after my first son was born.
devster4fun's Avatar devster4fun 10:53 PM 04-08-2007
That's the best thing about MDC, in my opinion.

You can learn. You can pick and choose from the amazing mamas and ideas they discuss.

Just read the User Agreement, you can't discuss the benefits of certai things that go against what Mothering Magazine stands for.

Also, keep an open mind. You would be surprised what you can do.
mommajb's Avatar mommajb 11:14 PM 04-08-2007
Stick around and you never know where it will lead you.

I am glad you are here.

have you found the multiples forum?
CathToria's Avatar CathToria 11:25 PM 04-08-2007
ITA with the PP's... welcome!!!
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 11:42 PM 04-08-2007
Welcome!!
mama2mygirl's Avatar mama2mygirl 11:44 PM 04-08-2007

I would stick around--see what you like.
Shakti A.'s Avatar Shakti A. 12:41 AM 04-09-2007
Quote:
I think there are a lot of people on this board who are somewhat, but not completely, crunchy. You can pick and choose what specific boards to read and participate in.
True, but only so much. You can, for example, avoid the vax boards if you're pro-vac, but it there are topics where you agree with the stated policy SO MUCH but not entirely, well, you're kind of out of luck, in my experience because:

Quote:
Just read the User Agreement, you can't discuss the benefits of certain things that go against what Mothering Magazine stands for.

K's Mom!'s Avatar K's Mom! 04:38 AM 04-09-2007
Welcome to MDC! I'm also a semi-crunchy mama. I have been able to form some wonderful friendships with other mamas here. However, I must say that in the time I've been here I've gotten more crunchy. I'd say stick around because this is a great place full of diverse opinions and really supportive people.
Mommiska's Avatar Mommiska 06:59 AM 04-09-2007
Oh, please do stick around! When I arrived at MDC (over 5 years ago now!) I wouldn't have considered myself 'crunchy' at all (although I must have been on my way, as I found the boards because I was tandem nursing my 2 year old and 8 month old at the time, and was looking for support/info! ).

Over the years of hanging out here, I've become more and more crunchy....it happens!

Someone else mentioned the multiples forum (it's a subforum under Parenting) - that's a great place to start (congrats on your pregnancy, by the way!).

Please do also come down to the Case Against Circumcision forum (after you've checked out your Due Date Club!) - there is a lot of VERY important information there for parents-to-be.

Hope to 'see' you around! Glad you found MDC!
Irishmommy's Avatar Irishmommy 11:08 AM 04-09-2007
Welcome to the boards.
jaidymama's Avatar jaidymama 02:04 PM 04-09-2007
Hey, Welcome! Glad you're here. I have found this a great place for information and friendships. I remember when I first came here I was overwhelmed by how much information there is... and I have taken parts of it along the way based on what I wanted in my life. All that aside, moms from a wide range of backgrounds are members. I hope you enjoy MDC as much as I have.

Good Luck with your babies!

Heidi

PS. Like someone noted, the User Agreement and Forum Rules (found at the top of each forum) are really useful in learning what MDC is about.
eco_mama's Avatar eco_mama 02:27 PM 04-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiska View Post
Please do also come down to the Case Against Circumcision forum (after you've checked out your Due Date Club!) - there is a lot of VERY important information there for parents-to-be.
: and
NovaScotiaMom's Avatar NovaScotiaMom 02:40 PM 04-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiska View Post
Oh, please do stick around! When I arrived at MDC (over 5 years ago now!) I wouldn't have considered myself 'crunchy' at all (although I must have been on my way, as I found the boards because I was tandem nursing my 2 year old and 8 month old at the time, and was looking for support/info! ).

Over the years of hanging out here, I've become more and more crunchy....it happens!
Hi - I'm new to MDC as well and also consider myself very much at the border of crunchiness... so thank you for the original post, bumperbee, and for the support from people like Mommiska.

I am also interested in a few key topics, but very open to learning more about many others. Sometimes I get a little intimidated by how hard-core some responses are, but it is good to know there are others out there like me. I call myself a "hybrid" because my mainstream friends think I'm crunchy but I feel very mainstream when I'm on many of the boards here!

Thanks for the support. I look forward to an evolving lifestyle as I learn!
Blucactus's Avatar Blucactus 02:45 PM 04-09-2007
Stick around, you will learn a lot. Just don't try to favorably discuss things that you know are not in favor at MDC (example, CIO, spanking). :
Steady101's Avatar Steady101 03:03 PM 04-09-2007

Mommiska's Avatar Mommiska 05:39 PM 04-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotiaMom View Post
Hi - I'm new to MDC as well and also consider myself very much at the border of crunchiness... so thank you for the original post, bumperbee, and for the support from people like Mommiska.

I am also interested in a few key topics, but very open to learning more about many others. Sometimes I get a little intimidated by how hard-core some responses are, but it is good to know there are others out there like me. I call myself a "hybrid" because my mainstream friends think I'm crunchy but I feel very mainstream when I'm on many of the boards here!

Thanks for the support. I look forward to an evolving lifestyle as I learn!
I've learned a huge amount here...I think most 'regular' members here have as well. A few of us arrived as fully paid up hippies, but not most of us!

Blucactus has good advice - if you know something is not supported here, then best not to start a thread about it - there can be very hard-line responses.

From personal experience - when I arrived here, I'd done a modified 'Cry it out' with my oldest dd1, and had started to do an even more modified version with dd2. I was pretty intimidated by the threads about CIO here and how harshly every spoke about it (it was all I knew - everyone I knew who had kids had done 'Cry it out' with them.

So - I just read, researched and took it all in - never posted on the topic, I must admit! I ended up changing how I parented at night time (my last 2 children never 'cried it out' and I would advise against it).

So...yes, feelings can be very strong about certain topics at MDC...but generally speaking, those of us who feel very strongly about a certain area have done a lot of research about why we feel strongly, and can give lots of reasons why we parent the way we do. If people want to learn, everyone here is very willing to share what they have found in their own parenting journey.

And you can take some things and leave others. I co-slept with mine when they were tiny little ones, but they got used to napping in their cot from around 8-9 months. And I'd say that from about a year old, they really didn't sleep well with me and preferred their cots...so that's where they slept from then on. So - we did co-sleep, and I highly recommend it! But we aren't co-sleeping with toddlers/older children/3 kids at a time, like some families here.

I think I'm waffling, and my daughter wants me to come up and read her bedtime story (I'm in the UK and it's 8:40 pm here), so must run...hope some of that has helped make people feel more comfortable about staying at MDC - it really is a great place!
pampered_mom's Avatar pampered_mom 06:41 PM 04-09-2007
to MDC! I would definitely agree with pps. Stick around here for awhile and be sure to have an open mind. There are many things we do now that I would have never in a million years imagined myself doing, but now I wouldn't have it any other way! :0)
angelcat's Avatar angelcat 06:45 PM 04-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperbee View Post
Hello all! I'm new, I'm pregnant (with twins!) and I'm interested in adopting some of the practices that are espoused here. There are others that I'm not at all interested in, and still others that I would like to put into practice, but am trying not to have too high of expectations for, especially with twins.

I was wondering if some of the other moms, or moms to be are less 'crunchy' or whether I should stick around... how welcoming are people here for those that don't hold or follow the same ideals? Has it been helpful for you to pick and choose from the various practices stressed here?

I do some crunchy things, and others I won't list that aren't so much crunchy. I don't fit in here, and often don't' feel welcome at all, but I also find some useful stuff.

Another piece of advice? Don't post in the case against circumcision. Read all you want,there is some great info.
NovaScotiaMom's Avatar NovaScotiaMom 08:09 PM 04-09-2007
Mommiska and others... your welcoming advice is awesome. I didn't start the thread but am glad to have participated in it. I look forward to doing lots of learning, researching, reading... and probably will read way more than I post but it seems that everyone is very open to that. I know I will have my eyes opened - and yes, will choose some options and leave others behind that don't appeal to me.

I am learning that this mothering thing is a lot about doing your research and then going with what feels right to you...
bumperbee's Avatar bumperbee 09:35 PM 04-09-2007
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and advice!

I will try and be careful about where and what I post. Thanks especially to angelcat and shakti. I do fall into the 'sorta' camp on some topics, so I'll try and lurk more and glean what good info I can without rocking the boat (especially with circumcision and gentle discipline).

Thank you too to nova scotia mom, It's wonderful to see other new moms that have similar feelings. And thanks for this:

Quote:
I am learning that this mothering thing is a lot about doing your research and then going with what feels right to you...
It's so true! And, it's a good reminder for me as I enter the crazy world of parenting.
JustVanessa's Avatar JustVanessa 09:49 PM 04-09-2007
Hi there from a semi crunchy senior member mama. I came here b/c I was really interested in AP. Not crunchy at all (read disposable diapers, no recycling etc) I think most people here pick and choose which things they are interested in and want to discuss. I am active in the Toddler board, and single parenting. I dabble in natural home care/personal care. I love the cooking boards. I read alot in gentle discipline but never post there. There are some that I don't go to at all. spirituality, crafts, diapering etc.

There is so much valuable info here for everyone depending on your interests and needs.
TxMominCT's Avatar TxMominCT 09:53 PM 04-09-2007
Like pp I've gotten crunchier since I joined! I mostly joined because I had a friend who was really into it. I am very AP, but I have the opposite political views of most people on here and am not very crunchy! If a forum starts to bother you, don't post, and just avoid it! Stick around though there is TONS of cool stuff!!! WELCOME!
spudmum's Avatar spudmum 09:53 PM 04-09-2007
Hi bumperbee,

Im a newbie myself...but also a semi-chrunchie so thought Id say hello as well! I am still bfing my toddler, use cloth nappies & san pro wanted a home birth (but didnt get it : ) have decided to Home Educate DS & consider myself to be aligned with an attachment parenting style...but only co-sleep occasionally (mainly thorugh habit as DH smoked when DS was born so couldnt at first) & have never got to grips with baby wearing either....might try with my next babies...but am happy if I dont as we were happy doing it our way with DS...other stuff like ECing & non-vaxing interest me...but Im not sure I will ever have the time, inclination or the guts to do them....

...Something that is very often said at the LLL meetings I go to I think (from my newbie pov) can be applied here: "...you will hear some stuff that you will agree with & some stuff that you will feel definately isnt for you...& there is not pressure to change your mind...you can just take away with you the bits you do agree with..."
mom2myprincess's Avatar mom2myprincess 10:55 PM 04-09-2007
Welcome! MDC has changed my perspective on a lot of things, very educational.
motherlove17's Avatar motherlove17 11:24 PM 04-09-2007
I'm a little like Angel Cat -- not too sure I fit in here. I lurk a lot and have found some great information, but I'm usually too intimidated to post.
LavenderMae's Avatar LavenderMae 11:28 PM 04-09-2007
Welcome! There are people of all levels of crunchiness here. But some issues aren't about being crunchie but about being truly informed (the circumcision and vaccination forums being two of them).
varaonaid's Avatar varaonaid 03:26 AM 04-12-2007


Welcome to the community! Glad that you're here! :


TigerTail's Avatar TigerTail 03:39 AM 04-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
Welcome! There are people of all levels of crunchiness here. But some issues aren't about being crunchie but about being truly informed (the circumcision and vaccination forums being two of them).
yeah, that . not everyone eats granola (i had a coke with real sugar- no hfcs, i guess that's a little crunchy earlier, and it was pure bliss), but being informed and kind has very little to do with 'crunchiness'- as if 'mainstream' moms want to hurt their kids or let them cry, right? knowledge is everything, and what you do with it.

welcome!
1 2 

Up