New in central Missouri - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I was referred to this site by a friend My name is Ash. I'm step-mom to 1 girl, age 8 : who lives with her mom. I don't have any kids of my own yet. I'm a work-at-home-wife... a farmer (as organic as humanly possible : ) with flocks of chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, goats, and a couple of saddle horses and SEVERAL dogs and cats lol (those our my kids for the moment ). I also TRY to garden, but that's not too successful yet I'm still learning how to get by without pesticides ect and it seems like a ton to learn at once! (like having kids!) :

Anyway, I look forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully someday I can give something back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 AM

Hi! I'm new to this site, too. Welcome on board!

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM

to both of you.

senior majikfaerie cult member
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM

Welcome!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Welcome

I'm in central MO as well.

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Hi, I'm in NW MO. DH used to always talk about buying a house in the country but he hates doing outside work so I always discouraged it but now I think it'd be fun to start a small sustainable farm. Do you know if MO gives out grants for that? I just started reading about them myself. I'm inspired by Joel Salatin of Virginia. I've read a few articles by him and about him.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM

If you are talking about SARE grants yes they do because I got an email notice from the University of MO - Columnia. I think deadlines are in December. You be able to find something on their Ag or Ag Extension website.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM

hello im in nw mo
Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmamma View Post
If you are talking about SARE grants yes they do because I got an email notice from the University of MO - Columnia. I think deadlines are in December. You be able to find something on their Ag or Ag Extension website.
Thanks, farmmamma! We're not in the position to sell our home in town anytime soon, plus right now we're just talking about it and doing research. I have friends who farm and my grandpa was a hog farmer but I myself have never lived in a farm. It makes me nervous but I feel it's something we could do for our community. I'll get a hold of Mizzou.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 PM

Welcome to the boards.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Hi, I am Rachael mother of soon to be 5. I have a son 16, son 8, twins (boy and girl) 18 months and I am due in December with #5. Everyone ask me "Are you crazy"? I simply reply sometimes I have to be to be get through the day.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 AM

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I really appreciate it!

I'm afraid I don't know much about grants. My hubby and I live on the family farm with my parents (and uncle and aunts up the drive), so we've just kind of taken up where they left off with the Organics (it's NOT in style to be Organic yet..). Kind of our niche.. my hubby just got honey hives this year (and is excited beyond belief over these BUGS LOL) and we have just enough to suite our needs as far as livestock goes so far. Thinking of expanding later. But mostly we just want to get away from the hormone saturated meats and milk, eggs ect that are at the store. My bro-in-law is a butcher *cringe* and he says that you'd be disgusted and shocked at what is in the meats that look 'good'/'fine'/'fresh' at the store. So we're basically trying to go Vegetarian on everything that is from the 'outside' and just raise our own meats. Although that is hard, and is a pretty big moral issue to us. But all of our stuff is FREE RANGE, not locked up in nasty tiny pens. They get to enjoy a nice relatively long and easy-going life. And humane.. that's our 'key-word'. We believe very strongly in the verses of the Bible that say "blessed are those who take good care of their animals" (paraphrase lol) ect (alot of people would be shocked over some of Deuteronomy's lists on how to treat animals). Anyway, we're really trying to be healthy and fertile and pick a good time to try to have a baby.. although I keep hearing "there is no "right" time, and if you wait til you can afford them you'll never have any". I still have some phobias about birth, and that's the main thing holding me back I think, with money a close second.
BTW are there any ladies here that R going to the Sheep and Fiber Arts Festival at Bethel Missouri, this September?? We're going to be attending with our Border Collies in tow, I'm sure. (that's another thing I'm going to ATTEMPT to learn, what to do with our wool!)

Cheers!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
Hi, I'm in NW MO. DH used to always talk about buying a house in the country but he hates doing outside work so I always discouraged it but now I think it'd be fun to start a small sustainable farm. Do you know if MO gives out grants for that? I just started reading about them myself. I'm inspired by Joel Salatin of Virginia. I've read a few articles by him and about him.
P/S My hubby is a little that way. Well, actually I should say that he loves outdoor stuff but the job he has now is inside as a supervisor, working 12 hours. So he doesn't get a whole lot of time outside either way, but when he is home he's much more in the mood to relax then to do farm work :-p (I guess I can't blame him!) Just encourage your guy, he might surprise you Good luck, with whatever you do! I'm sorry I can't be of any help with the grants thing
I'll have to look into Salatin, I know the name is familiar but I can't place him right now :-p If you have the time to listen to a Podcast, there is a GREAT one called "Geek.Farm.Life" and it's about these two city peeps who moved to the country and have a small farm. Their PC's are ALWAYS fun and informative and something that kids could listen to, too and probably enjoy. And another of my favorite 'green' PC's is WigglyWigglers (from the UK). It's like listening to old friends chat about the farm and garden, and wildlife.
Well, I think I've rambled enough for a while
Blessings to you and yours!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidueOfFire View Post
P/S My hubby is a little that way. Well, actually I should say that he loves outdoor stuff but the job he has now is inside as a supervisor, working 12 hours. So he doesn't get a whole lot of time outside either way, but when he is home he's much more in the mood to relax then to do farm work :-p (I guess I can't blame him!) Just encourage your guy, he might surprise you Good luck, with whatever you do! I'm sorry I can't be of any help with the grants thing
I'll have to look into Salatin, I know the name is familiar but I can't place him right now :-p If you have the time to listen to a Podcast, there is a GREAT one called "Geek.Farm.Life" and it's about these two city peeps who moved to the country and have a small farm. Their PC's are ALWAYS fun and informative and something that kids could listen to, too and probably enjoy. And another of my favorite 'green' PC's is WigglyWigglers (from the UK). It's like listening to old friends chat about the farm and garden, and wildlife.
Well, I think I've rambled enough for a while
Blessings to you and yours!

Cool. Thanks, I didn't mean to try and change this thread to something else. Turns out there's already a sustainble, organic farm near me. I want to go check it out the they haven't called me back. I guess I'd have to offer different products. I'm an artist too so I could have a farm/art gallery/art studio this is that farm http://www.quietwatersfarm.com/

This is Joel Salatin's farm http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Old 08-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
:

Welcome and I look forward to getting to know you!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Welcome - this is a great place!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM

welcome!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:21 PM

WELCOME to the boards!!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 PM

Welcome to MDC!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
Cool. Thanks, I didn't mean to try and change this thread to something else. Turns out there's already a sustainble, organic farm near me. I want to go check it out the they haven't called me back. I guess I'd have to offer different products. I'm an artist too so I could have a farm/art gallery/art studio this is that farm http://www.quietwatersfarm.com/

This is Joel Salatin's farm http://www.polyfacefarms.com/
Oh, don't worry! I throughly enjoy talking 'farm' =)
Thanks for the links! QuietWaters is amazing. I didn't however realize that it was legal to sell whole Milk in our state (I've never heard that it was illegal either!!). That's great. I've heard that some states require it to be sold only for 'pet use' which I can understand on one hand, but nomatter who it is, people need to go and see for their selves that the milking room is clean and the pans are sterile ect. No 'inspector' can insure that! Because he's there ONE day, versus the consumer hopefully dropping in and seeing first hand on a regular basis. Anyway! lol I really appreciate the link. I look forward to surfing their site more And Polyface is great too. I like the quote "Respecting and honoring the pigness of the pig is a foundation for societal health." lol! So true! You certainly can't make a pig act like a cow hehe (though sometimes I like Pigs better and would love to have one strictly as a pet, since I don't eat pork )

Good luck with your endeavor! Just know that sometimes its rough, but the benefits to yourself, and your family greatly outweigh that =) There isn't anything like waking up to new life everyday and seeing life through the eyes of the animals that either you care for, or come into contact with. It's almost spiritual in itself

Have a wonderfully blessed day! And thanks to everyone else for the welcome .. such a nice and 'warm' group!! I love it here already!!
*sigh* I need to finish up a couple dishes now..: and hit the hay....:
Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 PM

Hi!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Welcome!

User Tag List