Coming out... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome back. I'm sorry you needed to get a new username but I definitely understand how some internet people can be.

to you.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#32 of 38 Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

#33 of 38 Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM

I didn't see this anywhere in the thread, I thought there was a high false positive rate for HIV, I am positive it was in the HIV issue of Mothering. I haven't researched it yet or anything, and I didn't see if you mentioned getting retested. Just some thoughts. I agree with you about the horrible drugs and the genetics - Gattica come true - yikes! Lots of good thoughts your way.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#34 of 38 Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Welcome back mama!

We're glad to have you hear and don't want you to go anywhere.
#35 of 38 Old 09-06-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

There is definitely a high false positive rate for HIV. I wont' get into the ins and outs of the testing (it's lots of molecular biology that I had to learn in a few short weeks!) but there's a chance I'm not really positive. The thing is, no one would ever accept that as possible, not in the mainstream medical society. Sadly, the tests even come with a disclaimer: "Not to be used to diagnose HIV." There are two types of tests though, and I tested positive on both, though one was a little iffy once you get into the details of which proteins were actually present in my bloodstream. The HIV nurse here didn't even understand what I was referring to when I asked her about it though. So even if, by some freak chance of fate I'm actually negative, no one would believe it once my tests come back positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
I didn't see this anywhere in the thread, I thought there was a high false positive rate for HIV, I am positive it was in the HIV issue of Mothering. I haven't researched it yet or anything, and I didn't see if you mentioned getting retested. Just some thoughts. I agree with you about the horrible drugs and the genetics - Gattica come true - yikes! Lots of good thoughts your way.
#36 of 38 Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInDisguise View Post
There is definitely a high false positive rate for HIV. I wont' get into the ins and outs of the testing (it's lots of molecular biology that I had to learn in a few short weeks!) but there's a chance I'm not really positive. The thing is, no one would ever accept that as possible, not in the mainstream medical society. Sadly, the tests even come with a disclaimer: "Not to be used to diagnose HIV." There are two types of tests though, and I tested positive on both, though one was a little iffy once you get into the details of which proteins were actually present in my bloodstream. The HIV nurse here didn't even understand what I was referring to when I asked her about it though. So even if, by some freak chance of fate I'm actually negative, no one would believe it once my tests come back positive.
Ugh. I hear you. Doctors and the medical model really are so twisted up in this country it's sad sad sad. I've experienced it more from the GBS and Gestational Diabetes front, but yeah, they take their tests like the word of God, they can't be wrong. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this and I'm so happy you can gat support and understanding here.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#37 of 38 Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 PM

I commend your bravery for writing this post. I doubt I would have the strength to do so. I truly hope you find the comfort and support that you need.

xx
#38 of 38 Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 AM

I know that this is late, but I really hope that you are loving it here on MDC!

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page