Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
Welcome!

Things I would like to get into that I don't do yet:

use family cloth for urine
use cloth menstrual pads

I would love to try both of the above, but DH thinks that it is weird. If I just make the switch he might not object too much.

+ + =
#32 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
I would love to try both of the above, but DH thinks that it is weird. If I just make the switch he might not object too much.
Your DH sounds like mine! I've mentioned it a few times to him and he just gives the "not on your life" look. I'm trying to wear him down though...

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#33 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_noah View Post
I'm very crunchy when it comes to parenting choices, but I'm also a white collar professional, enjoying shopping and team sports and that type of thing, but I try to make the greenest and most ethical choices I can.

You might enjoy my post called Flaunt Your Crunch! It also includes a link to a "test" to see how crunchy you are.
Love your blog! But I could not find the link for the test...?!
#34 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 PM

Thank goodness for balance is all I can say! Doesn't matter really how crunchy as long as one is comfortable in their "level" of crunchiness! Funny but when I started "giving things up" I started liking how much lighter and more free I felt. I love not having to fuss with my hair or make up. I love the fact my family is doing it's part to reduce our carbon footprint. Hey I haven't heard of a family urine cloth? I think I get it, but for clarification?
#35 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
"use family cloth for urine"

What does that mean? I'm not familiar.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#36 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Hi Shane, I am guessing it's a washcloth or something to that effect that is reusable. I hadn't ever heard the term either. I wonder if my uber crunchy dbf would go for it.
#37 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
"use family cloth for urine"

What does that mean? I'm not familiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7libramama View Post
Hi Shane, I am guessing it's a washcloth or something to that effect that is reusable. I hadn't ever heard the term either. I wonder if my uber crunchy dbf would go for it.
It can really be anything - pretty much anything you would make a cloth baby wipe from. Flannel squares, light washcloths, cut up t-shirt. You pretty much treat them like you would baby wipes or cloth diapers. (We don't use it ourselves - I've looked into it a little though since when we have a place with a washer and dryer we might.)

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#38 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7libramama View Post
Ok! I get it. So maybe like the cloth washies I used in place of baby wipes? We've been known to go down that road before. See, I'm finding out through this thread I'm more crunchy than I've admitted to myself.

I don't use a gas lawn mower, just one of those old timey lookin' ones that has the blades all in a circle and you just push it and go. I've come home to find on more than one occasion my neighbors have cut my grass for me. They feel sorry for me for using the mower I use. But I just can't justify the air pollution for what I consider to be a small area to mow.
I don't shave or use deoderant.
I wash my hair once a week.
I take the bike 6 days a week. I have a bike trailer that sits both LOs and has room in the back for all our stuff.
We've used cloth shopping bags, forever.
Only fluroescent lighting.
Instead of a house alarm we have 6 dogs. On a wireless fence. They double as body pillows and foot warmers, so we can keep the thermostat low at night. We keep it set on 80 in the summer and 68 in the winter.
We mostly buy or make the kid's & pet's toys, wooden or cloth, mostly.
Can't give up the meat though. I love me some animals. I mean it, I really love them. I grew up on a farm and my daddy still kills a lot of our meat and he taught me that on slaughter day we'd tell our animals thank you for what they are providing to us. That that was their job and they were happy to do it for us. And never ever waste a bit of it, because that would be disrespectful. No matter how many they all have names and get petted and loved on regularly. I don't mean to offend anybody, that's just my personal story that I'm sharing.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#39 of 42 Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 PM

My RL friends like to call me Earth mama or fashionably crunchy. I do like clothes but do not buy that many. I do like to get my hair done once in a while. I just grew it our for over a year and then donated it.

Here is what we do at our house:

We used a MW for 2 of our 3 sons births. Natural childbirth, no drugs at all!

Extended breastfeeding

Selectively vaccinated (1st child) and now no longer vaccinate at all!

babywearing

Co-sleeping

use a chiropractor, do yoga

cloth diapering

reuse clothing as much as possible. I buy most of my clothes at Goodwill and I do not care what anyone thinks.

walk or take public transportation to help the environment

recycling as much as we can

buying local produce and meat

I do like basic funky clothing and jeans. I do love Birkenstock sandals but only in summer! I wear mineral make up sometimes.

Take care!
jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#40 of 42 Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 AM

What a fun thread! I was born and raised as mainstream as it gets, and only in the past few years have I gotten more and more "crunchy"...some of my family thinks it's cool but most of them think I'm crazy! I live in a pretty rural area, so some things that are "crunchy" are more or less "country" out here. But then I've also noticed how people are so wasteful here too! Sure, everyone grows their own veggies and meat, but hardly anyone recycles! And WalMart is one of the only stores around, so I would venture to guess that almost everyone shops there for everything.

-Natural, un-medicated hospital birth
-Extended breastfeeding (don't even own a bottle)
-Cloth diapers (except I use disposables at night)
-Co-room (??? She was in my bed but now she is in her crib, right next to my bed. She can come in my bed if she wants, but she usually chooses her crib.)
-Recycled toilet paper and paper towels
-All natural cleaning products
-Homemade bread or from the bakery, baked that morning
-Mostly vegetarian, meat less than once a week, fresh food, no preservatives, corn syrup, food dyes, etc...about 60% organic
-Homeschooling
-One car
-Have chickens that roam our 1/2 acre and lay lovely eggs
-Grow a garden (but plan it bigger every year. Fruit trees are still babies)
-No vax, no well-visits, use homeopathy and chiropractor
-Recycle almost EVERYTHING
-No flouride
-Wear mineral makeup on rare occassions, don't dye hair
-Buy a lot 2nd hand
-Wooden toys
-No plastic grocery bags

I don't really know what else, that is what comes to the top of my head. That is what we're already doing, this is what we plan on doing next;

-no more disposable menstrual pads/use a Divacup (or something along those lines)
-more fruit trees, nut trees, berry bushes and a bigger veggie garden
-can and preserve what we don't eat
-dry all clothes on the clothesline that I am asking for Christmas
-compost everything that I can

I guess that's all for now. It's such an adventure!

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#41 of 42 Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM

Welcome to Mothering.

I'm crunchy to the mainstream, mainstream to the crunchy.
#42 of 42 Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 AM

Welcome to MDC! My cruchy is quite a unique compilation that does not quite fit into any particular catagory.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page