What kind of "crunchy" are you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this forum and I'm a new mommy just starting to find my "crunchy" side...I had a nurse midwife for my delivery and went all natural..It was the most amazing experience in my life,but next baby I want to plan for a home birth. I am obsessed with birth and hoping to become a midwife within the next 5 years. We are currently not vaxing our son,we co-sleep,I nurse on demand,love attached parenting,part time cloth diapering,and so on....

But I know that I'm not totally "crunchy" (hope that is politically correct). I'm very much into fashion,love having my hair done and wearing make-up,ect...So does that make me not so crunchy? Are there many different ways to be crunchy? I guess that I'm looking for a definition?! *shrugs* Just curious what level everyone is.....I'm a newbie but the more I read and learn,the more I LOVE this life style!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to our "Pleased to Meet You" forum since it's an introduction of sorts. Tribal areas are limited to conversation that is specific to a geographical area.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 PM

I'd call myself "somewhat" crunchy. Lemmie was born at home, I exclusively pumped for her for as long as I could when breastfeeding didn't work out for us, we cloth diaper, we never CIO, we babywear, and I love to make things - especially reusing other items. I love to shop in thrift stores, and we grow some of our own food.

Take care,
El
Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 AM

HI,WELCOME TO MDC!:

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 AM

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 AM

Hoal, and welcome to a great place..

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 AM

Well, although we do advocate for things like Natural Health Care, you really don't have to be a braless hairy makeup-adverse Birkenstocks-wearing faux-hippy (like me ) to belong here.

Lots of us are fashionistas and get manicures and hair styling on a regular basis. How we look has nothing to do with our parenting or our environmentalism.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Lots of us are fashionistas and get manicures and hair styling on a regular basis. How we look has nothing to do with our parenting or our environmentalism.
:

I know I'm far from the crunchiest of crunchies, but I feel like I'm pretty crunchy when it comes to how I raise my daughter; AP; co-sleeping; CLW; what I feed her; informed vaxing; etc... But we're always dressed really cutely.
And for Italy, I'm really crunchy. Everyone seems to be so mainstream here. (Sadly, I'm pleasantly surprised whenever I see someone actually recycling.... but I'm straying OT.)

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 AM

I never heard of the term "crunchy" until kinda recently. I just always thought of myself as Country. All my life we've (Momma included) baby worn, coslept, grown our own food, made our own clothes from recycled old clothes, made our own baby food, composted, cloth diapered, used rain barrells and wells, reuse and recycle everything possible, & shopped at thrift stores. We bought a hybrid for the environmental factors & long term money saving factors because I drive everything until it literally falls apart. I had midwives with both pregnancies and believe in holistic type of healing/stuff. I learned the word holistic after signing up for a birthing class who's description fitted my personality to a "T". I do yoga and homeschool. We avoid Dr's unless it's a dire situation. But my RL "crunchy" "friends" (more like aquaintances) don't consider shopping at Goodwill or Salvation Army as crunchy, just poor. They shop at much higher end second hand stores, & use way more expensive cloth diapers. In fact, I just don't fit in with the crunchies that I know in RL. It's a big status symbol here in Atlanta. Like, your not "crunchy" unless you have a lot of money. Otherwise, you're just lower class.

I don't wear make up either, but that's just because when I was 15, my step-mother wouldn't allow me to apply it myself and when she would do it kids at school would call my Tammy Fay Baker. So, I just never got into the habit of wearing make up. I would love to learn how though, and figure out how to fit putting it on into my schedule each day.

Anyway, Welcome to MDC. We all fit in here!

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM

As for me, I live in a perpetually identity crisis. I did the no-shampoo thing this spring/summer and it worked great! Then I got tired of my hair, chopped it off, and even had it dyed red. I felt nasty putting chemicals in my hair but... then I got over when I liked the look. I also go between dressing pretty hippie sometimes, to dressing preppy, to dressing wannabe stylish, etc. I'm a minimalist at heart, so I only have a few clothes of each style, but then I cycle through phases. And then this summer I was cooking from scratch and buying in bulk and only eating organic and local. Now life has taken a turn for the busier and now we eat more processed food again. I had cloth diapers (which I loved) but they're in the closet right now because our electricity bill was going through the roof from washing them. But then again, I also had a nasty Target habit earlier this year too, and now I'm strictly buying second-hand. So... I'm kind of a "crunchy flake" if you want to put it that way. If you want to put it more nicely, you can say I'm always on the crunchy spectrum, it just depends where on it I fall at any given time.

However, the AP part of me stays the same more or less. I don't start bringing out the cribs and baby buckets and bottles... although I *did* buy a double stroller recently to make life easier... Hmm.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 PM

LOL, I love this thread!

How crunchy am I?...

*Glances at baby crawling on floor in secondhand clothes and cloth diapers...reminds self that really ought to keep baby diaperless while at home to improve EC'ing...*

*Indulges in fond memory of perfect home waterbirth eight months ago*

*Glances at self in scruffy jeans, t-shirt, and barefeet, and brushes unwashed hair off face*

*Looks out window at neighbors in cohousing community*

*Glances in fridge in disgust at utter lack of local produce due to failure to sign up for CSA and laziness in growing food this year (what with having a baby and all )*

*Glances out window and reflects on failure to put out rain barrels or build any kind of solar water/electricity stuff this year*

*Thinks about cob house in cohousing community completely off the grid we want to live in someday*

*Reassures self with utter lack of bottles, cribs, or baby-confining devices in house*

*Glances at large collection of slings and carriers scattered around house*

*Makes sure heat is turned down to not waste electricity*

So, to answer your question: Not as crunch as I wanna be!

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM

I am glad to have a little explanation too as I have only recently heard the term and am also new to the forum - I obviously have a lot to learn , even just figuring out all the abbreviations !!! I would say I am half crunchy too - natural birth, breastfed, made my own babyfood , co-slept etc , there is so much I have never heard of and have certainly never had advocated to me ( it seems odd that the most natural things in the world as I see it are promoted quite often as un-natural) . I'm afraid to say I am not as eco minded as I KNOW I should be but that is something I am working on as I want to set an example for my daughter. I am also into fashion, hair and make up ( are the choices not to indulge in these environmental ?? personal ? or part of being "crunchy" - excuse my ignorance I am new to this !!).
Old 10-23-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla2376 View Post
I am also into fashion, hair and make up ( are the choices not to indulge in these environmental ?? personal ? or part of being "crunchy" - excuse my ignorance I am new to this !!).
For me, it's 95% personal, 5% environmental. I just don't really like make up, I have my own sense of fashion but it includes wearing whatever looks good on me until it falls apart, not until it goes out of style, and I don't like spending a lot of time or money on my hair. I can justify these things by saying that being a minimalist reduces the amount of pesticides, oil, energy, sweat shop labor, chemicals, etc, that I am responsible for supporting, but really, it's just my style. Plus, there are lots of ways to be "stylish" in a really environmental fashion (buying second hand, organic, fair trade, in bulk, whatever), so I don't have much of an excuse.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM

Around here, folks are very mainstream, so even people who are a little bit crunchy are labeled extremists . So maybe I’m not quite as crunchy as I’d like to think So far, I am

Natural birthing
Breastfeeding
Cloth diapering
Cosleeping
Babyfood making
Selective Vaxing
Garden-growing
Thrift store shopping

“Crunchy” things we dream of doing include

Homebirth for future kid
Growing most of our own produce and all of our own meat--organically
Living off the grid (or at least putting up some solar panels)

Some of the things I do just come from the way I was raised or the fact that we operate on a pretty limited budget. But overall, my semi-“crunchy” ways (if that’s what to call them ) reflect my perception of most of mainstream American culture as wasteful, unsustainable, and bereft of the values I really want to instill in my daughter. It’s funny that growing up I would complain to my parents, wanting to be more mainstream and not so weird--now it’s like I’m trying to out-hippy my mother. However, unlike her, I wear makeup
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM

I'm very crunchy when it comes to parenting choices, but I'm also a white collar professional, enjoying shopping and team sports and that type of thing, but I try to make the greenest and most ethical choices I can.

You might enjoy my post called Flaunt Your Crunch! It also includes a link to a "test" to see how crunchy you are.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies,so interesting and fun to read about all the cool crunchy ways that are new to me
Old 10-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Welcome!

I'm semi-crunchy. I love clothes, nice nair, pedicures, shoes, and cute purses. I love decorating my house and Target. Both DH and I are WOHPs. I also use cloth diapers, babywear, try to buy gently used clothes, practice GD, eat as naturally as we can (some days are better than others!), use natural cleaning products, and try to avoid most plastic toys. DS was born in the hospital but I dream of a homebirth or using a birth center next time. When we have our own house I want to grow a lot of my own food and can it.

I was raised pretty mainstream and didn't start ANY of my crunchy traits until after DS was born- I'm sure my family wonders where a lot of this comes from!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM

nak

I would say I'm middle of the road. I don't wear makeup or get my hair done or anything like that because it toatlly does not appeal to me in any way and never has, but not because I consider myself slightly "crunchy."

I'm very pro-breastfeeding, even though I formula fed my first and third babies, and we didn't circumcise our son. We vaccinate selectively and co-sleep. I'm into babywearing, but so far only one of my four kids has been. (And, not surprisingly, she was the most high need of my babies.) I am studying to be a homeopathic physician, but gave birth to all four of my children in the hsopital with varying degrees of intervention. I use a combo of cloth and disposable diapers (but honestly, with babies 13 months apart, more sposies than cloth these days.) We are very concerned environmentally (despite using disposable diapers) and try to keep junk food out of our children. [she says as her 15 month old is chowing down on m&ms.]
i tend to fit in much better here than on boards that are more "mainstream," but I am definitely not a granola-type mom.

I don't think I would ever win a mom of the year award, but i think my kids will be okay in the end. i hope, anyway.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 PM

For me, I am kinda middle of the road (but more on the crunchy end). I do not wear makeup, or do my hair, or dress nice but most of that is because I am cheap and because I don't want to spend the time. LOL. I am a very casual and only own 2 pants and 3 shirts. The most makeup I own is powder and mascara. I breastfed for 3 years, I cosleep, I used midwifes and birth centers, I dont vaccinate or see drs, I dont own a car (so I walk and take bus), I recycle, try to live green, I live simple, I am an AP mom, I try to heal things naturally, I'm vegatarian (going vegan), I wore my babies, I was a wet nurse, I buy second hand, I eat organic whenever I can afford it, etc.

However - I would love to have a homebirth in the future, I didn't cloth diaper (no washer/dryer then and it would have been tougher then I would like), I still eat fast food sometimes, my daughter is in public school (homeschooling didnt work right with us), we watch too much tv, etc. I would love to have a garden, live sustainable and off the grid, and be more "crunchy". :-)

Amber (31) - Married to my high school sweetheart for 13 years, mom of 4 amazing kids (ages 12, 8, 3, and 16 months), homeschooler, and expecting our 5th child around May 18th!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm a mix too. Until I got to these boards I had no idea AP was defined against something called "mainstream."

Re make-up: I had a boyfriend who called lipstick an "anti-kissing device" and I think that's definitely true when you have a baby. Who wants to leave lipstick on baby's face? And who can restrain from absentmindedly kissing baby's face fifty times a day? These aren't just rhetorical questions--is there a a way to wear lipstick and have a baby at the same time?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
For me, it's 95% personal, 5% environmental. I just don't really like make up, I have my own sense of fashion but it includes wearing whatever looks good on me until it falls apart, not until it goes out of style, and I don't like spending a lot of time or money on my hair. I can justify these things by saying that being a minimalist reduces the amount of pesticides, oil, energy, sweat shop labor, chemicals, etc, that I am responsible for supporting, but really, it's just my style.
: I am in the same boat here... really I'm just far too lazy to bother with makeup and I barely look in the mirror most days, but I do like nice jewellery By the way, Arwen (similar to your MDC name) is what I was going to call DS if he was a boy.

Welcome, McCartney!

I tried to have a homebirth but ended up in hospital (still, no medical pain relief), I cloth diaper (or re-usable nappies as we call them here in the UK), try to eat organic and reduce packaging, PLAN to grow some veg now that we finally have a garden, don't use chemical cleaners/shampoo etc, I'm not vaxing or circ'ing, I would never CIO, I co-sleep, I'm b.feeding past infancy, all of DS's clothes and toys are second hand or gifts, and I couldn't be less interested in TV and material things. I live in a comparatively 'crunchy' area of the U.K. but there is still a very large 'middle-class' contingent that is pretty consumerist and so on, and in terms of parenting I am definitely on the way crunchy side of the continuum in my city (I'm one of very few who CD, and who still co-sleep at one year of age).For me, it's just 'normal' to be crunchy, I can't imagine it any other way.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM

I don't know how crunchy I am. Compared to whom? I've had four unassisted homebirths, we do extended bfing, baby-led solids, babywearing, cosleeping (four in my bed all night, every night ). We're radical unschoolers and into consensual living. No vaccines, no fluoride, no well-baby or well-child check-ups. We eat organic, whole foods (caveat below), and we like to get local produce and meat as much as possible. We use herbal or homeopathic medicine for illnesses.

Because of the RU/CL, we aren't restrictive with our children in the ways that other crunchy families are. My kids can have Twinkies and sugary cereal. They can play with Barbie or even Bratz. They can watch TV or play video games. (They also play eat whole wheat bread and salad, play with wooden blocks and cooperative board games, and enjoy books, arts and crafts. They're just not limited to those things.) So being less mainstream in one area makes me look more mainstream in the other. I'm okay with that.

We recycle, which I kind of thought everyone did? - but I havent' done cloth diapers for a couple years since we don't have a W&D anymore. (I tried to make it work but it didn't.) We try to conserve electricity and water - for instance I run the shower, turn it off to lather up, and turn it back on to rinse. Lots of little things like that.

I spent a couple years growing out my hair and getting it to its natural color. Which was fine. But I always missed doing more with it. I like cutting and coloring my hair! So I'm not crunchy there. I am pretty low-maintenance though - I cut and color my hair myself usually, and any style has to be wash-and-go. I don't own a blow dryer or styling products. I have gotten my nails done once - fake tips - and it looked pretty, I admit, but they really do start to get in the way. I got a pedi last fall and lurved it. I would so do that all the time! I mean, if I had disposable income and disposable time to myself...

Make-up, I love. Love love love it. It's one of the areas where frugality has taken its toll, since I don't own much. I also quite enjoy shaving. If that makes me not crunchy then so be it.

I also use regular commercial deodorant with aluminum in it. Ugh. I've tried other things, just haven't found anything that works for me. Still searching.

I guess that pretty much sums us up.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Welcome McCartney! I'm also a new-ish mom, to DD named Lennon, so you two should get together & write some songs.

i'm not as crunchy as i want to be. if we define crunchy by internal beliefs, rather than how one appears/dresses on the outside plus logistic limitations, i'm very crunchy. but i am limited by the fact that i live in a city in a small apt (no way to compost, garden, collect water, etc.) without a washer/dryer (tried CD when DD was newborn but her little skinny legs were too small for the smallest diaper cover & poo just leaked everywhere so we had to give it up), not a lot of access to local produce, second-hand stores, etc etc. i would love to do so many more things but our environment makes it very difficult (and isn't the goal of 'crunchiness' to simplify life?).

couldn't have a natural or home birth for medical reasons. limited attachment parenting and nursing since i'm forced to work for financial reasons. but DD is exclusively fed breastmilk and i'm proud that i haven't given in to the pressure to give her formula.

great discussion.

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=Collinsky;12451972]I also use regular commercial deodorant with aluminum in it. Ugh. I've tried other things, just haven't found anything that works for me. Still searching. QUOTE]

only thing that works for me is the liquid spray bottle with just purified water & mineral salts. crystal something in the blue bottle. it's not an antiperspirant so you will still sweat. but you don't smell because the salts kill any bacteria. try it!

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
Old 10-23-2008, 06:34 PM

I like to tell people "I'm not crunchy, just lazy"

I breastfeed because bottles are a PITA.
I cloth diaper because it's cheap.
I'll be starting EC soon so I don't have to potty train later.
I don't vax so I can skip well-baby visits.
I don't circ because I don't want to have to clean an open wound that sits in a dirty diaper
I homebirth because I'm too lazy to drive to the hospital.
I cosleep because I don't feel like getting up in the middle of the night to check on baby.

Okay, granted those aren't my *real* reasons (at least not completely) but they're the fun ones!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM

I've been a vegetarian since high school, vegan mostly. I started out researching natural birth and breastfeeding, because I had been born at home. I started using cloth diapers after I bought one at whole foods when my son was 6 months old. Then I found out about attachment parenting when my son was eight or so months old, though I had already been naturally parenting that way for the most part. Then I found out about all the babywearing stuff that I'd been missing out on just using my one wrap, and from that site, I found this board, and a lot about cloth pads, diva cups (though I'm afraid to buy one because it might jinx me back into my period :P), becoming more green, and lots of other stuff that I had no clue about before. Anyway, it really all started when I got pregnant, and I got into living off the grid and living "poor" when I decided I didn't want to go back to work (and as a single mother, that means you are scraping for every penny). I still drive everywhere though, use plastic bags, I don't take my own bags to the store, I don't eat all organic, and lots of other noncrunchy things.

My crunchiness:

babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, unschooling, raw vegan, don't shave or shampoo, barefoot everywhere, try to buy mostly used, um, that's all I can think of at the moment...next baby I would like to have unassisted, ec-ed, I want to live in a cob house off the grid...and while I'm at it I'd like a pony

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Hi all! I am loving the crunchiness here! We are a home and waterbirthing, lotus birthing, babywearing, nonvaccinating,extended breastfeeding, child led weaning, co-op belonging to, mostly organic and local eating, Goodwill shopping, ecofriendly neo-hippie family. We live by Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I don't use make-up and use a crystal for deodorant, do shampoo and shave though(wish I were braver in this dept). Can't seem to give up eating dead animals though, something about being type O and roadkill.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Welcome! :hi

In the area that I live, I am definitely considered "crunchy." Here on MDC, though, I feel pretty "mainstream" sometimes.

I'm crunchy in these ways:
Homebirth/natural birth
Bfing
cloth diapers
part-time ECing
co-sleeping/No CIO
no paper products in our house except some wrapping paper, printer paper, and toilet paper
I'd like to unschool when Dd is older (although I guess you could argue I'm doing that now)
we have a push lawn mower instead of the gas ones
one car
ride my bike to places as much as I can
I'm vegetarian (although I can't say I enjoy it)
growing some of our own vegetables
recycle
I don't dye my hair
I like my nails short and unpainted (is that crunchy?)
Use crystal deoderant (love it!)
try to give Dd mostly healthy foods
made our own babyfood
learning to cook from scratch (getting better everyday!)
Use cloth shopping and produce bags
informed vaxing (delayed & selective)
we will not circ if we ever have a boy

Things I would like to get into that I don't do yet:
grow more of our own food
use a clothesline to dry our clothes
use more natural cleaning products
use family cloth for urine
use cloth menstrual pads
buy more foods locally
eat even healthier
buy more second-hand clothes

Ways that I'm not crunchy that probably won't change:
We use disposables at night
I wear a little bit of eyeshadow and mascara every day
I like hairless legs and armpits
I plan on weaning dd between 2-3 yo
would like to have dd in her own bed between 2-3 yo
no desire to use family cloth for poop

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM

I think that I am crunchy light.

*We co-sleep, BUT I am trired of waking up with a knee in my mouth. DS has a bed next to ours, but we do not force him to sleep there.

*I breastfed and formula fed, because I worked in a male dominated field for months 3-6 of DS's life and my hours were sporadic at time.

*I made my own baby food, resreving Gerber for travel or diaper bag back up.

*I used disposeables, but wanted to cloth diaper. Our washer was on it's last leg at the time.

* We purchase 90% to 95% organic and or locally grown fruit and vegetables.

* We share a vehicle and ride public transportation when time permits.

*We recycle, use our own shopping bags, take short showers, limit electricity consumption, maximize our driving time.

*I don't use chemicals on my hair except for a black hair rinse/dye.

*We practice AP

* we use natural detergents

However,
I love shoes and clothes and trendy restaurants. Second hand is great if I can find what I LIKE.

As I read other posts I notice things that we do at home, but I did not think to list. I am probably crunchier than I realize, but I really don't keep a list of the crunchy things that we do.

+ + =
Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm very much into fashion,love having my hair done and wearing make-up,ect...So does that make me not so crunchy?
I don't think that makes you uncrunchy. In fact, I just bought some lipstick and foundation today at the Body Shop. (Though I guess that's one of the crunchier places to shop).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List