Do you own an Eyclops Bionic Eye or another great kid's microscope? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about getting my 6 yo, science-loving son the Eyclops Bionic Eye for x-mas. If you have one, can you tell me what you think? Do you wish you could bring it outside? Can you use it with prepared slides (not the glass kind but something like THIS? Is it well-built? Is it a toy only or can he use it to explore his scientific interests?

It looks great - easier to use than a microscope (he has some fine motor struggles), durable, super-cool, can be used by both kids at the same time, etc.

Tell me what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM

We have the eyeclops and love it. Those slides would be great! I may have to get those for our eyeclops. We love looking at skin, tongue, carpet, clothing fibers, etc. It's great when you have company too.....adult company.LOL Grownups can play with that thing for as long if not longer than kids.

Oh and you can't really take it outside because you have to have it hooked up to a screen to see anything.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Those slides would be great!
So, it will work with slides?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 PM

I don't think it would show small cells and bacteria, but those slides with bug legs and small things that you can see with the naked eye will show well. When you look at jeans, it looks like a huge checker board on the screen. When you look at your skin, you can see small skin damage. There's a guy who does a blog and has tons of pictures of things that he looked at with his eyeclops. I wonder if someone remembers that. You can search Eyeclops on this board and probably find that guy's blog mentioned. I might go find it myself and see if he's got anything new and interesting.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM

http://cockeyed.com/science/eyeclops/eyeclops.shtml

and here it is

Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 PM

I agree with the above posters. We love our EyeClops.

Most anything the kids have wanted to look at has been able to be brought inside. Including insects. And spiders. They're working on a way to look at snowflakes. I suppose though, selecting portable objects might be an obvious thing. Anyway, the kids haven't yet complained they are running out of things to look at.

The only drawback is that there is no way to fix the eyeclops at one location. So if you have a wobbly hand, the focus can be a little tricky to master. It does improve with practice.

Fibers, hair, skin and food are popular here. Under the fingernails and cuts/scabs are pretty gross - but also popular. I think the slides would go over well. Living critters are cool to look at, but it is difficult to maintain focus without a very steady hand if they are walking around. We found a pseudo-scorpion (very tiny critters) and wouldn't have been able to identify it without good magnification.

Laark
www.myloveandlaughter.blogspot.com

User Tag List