Mothering Forum banner

Cyber School?

431 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  elizawill 
#1 ·
We are thinking of cyber-schooling our children. Just wondering if you enjoy your cyber-school experience, pros-cons, etc. Thank you!

#2 ·
I know a lot of people here won't agree with me, but cyber-schooling is the best thing we did. I wanted to HS; DH wasn't convinced, so we agreed to cyber-school 1/2 way through the public school kindergarten year. We all love it!
: I now have my 2nd grader and pre-schooler enrolled. The supply the curriculuum and we do things our own way, "testing" the kids about once a month and "teaching" what they don't already know. My kids *love* doing the "work"book pages and there are so many fun things that come along with school work. Craft kits, clay, books and workbooks, paper, colored pencils and crayons, not to mention the field trips and the computer program that they just adore playing. It is all "play" to my kids, DH is content that we are teaching them, and I love being able to just go about daily life and let the kids pick what they want to play with.

Now, we have run into other families at this and other cyber schools that spend an enormous amount of time on school work every day (4-5 hrs). We don't and do not intend to.

Hope that helps!
Melanie

#3 ·
well, it's public school. so, compared to traditional homeschooling - imo, going this route would not have nearly as much flexibility. however, compared to a traditional brick & mortar school i think it has a lot of flexibility!! although the student can't work at 'whatever' pace they please...there definitely is a lot more room to tailor make the curriculum to the individual student (as opposed to the majority of the classroom). there is also the plus side of doing work in your p.j's, choosing what subjects you'd like to do in whatever order you prefer, taking breaks when you want too, doing schoolwork outside, etc. i've heard that the work can entail about 5-6 hours a day (especially with older students)...and that's A LOT compared to homeschooling....but compared to a traditional b&m, it's not too shabby. i really think the main thing is to recognize this is an alternative to traditional public school. it's not homeschooling at all...just 'learning at home'. ya know what i mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.