Did you send you LO to preschool if you planned on HS? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We didn't and don't send ours to preschool, but mainly because we can't afford it LOL DH's job doesn't pay enough for us to maintain our budget (including the monthly amount we set aside for Christmas every year, and other activities including our hs budget) and have the money for preschool. Not with 2 in gymnastics, choir, and AWANA with a third about to start AWANA next month, and with my medical needs. Maybe if we didn't have to spend so much on prescriptions and doctor appointments for me, but with my prescription needs being twice the cost of the preschool nearest our home (which also happens to be an awesome montessori school and I totally love it and would give my right arm to afford to send my girls there and then to a specific private school 5 min from our home) It just is NOT a feasable option for us. Nope, no preschool here for my kids, hsed or even if they were to go to public or private school. I can NOT justify spending that much money right now, we have too many other places that money needs to go to maintain what we consider the perfectly balanced lifestyle and budget for our family dynamics (which is not a super thrifty frugal budget and lifestyle, however we feel that certain wants are important enough to make sacrifices in other areas, like the digital cable and high speed internet, or the specific homeschool curriculum we use that is expensive but still cheaper than preschool in our area)

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#32 of 47 Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM

DS1 did attend a full-day (8:30-2:30) public preschool. We now homeschool for Kindy. I don't regret it one bit. It was right for our family at the time (newborn and 2 year old plus DS1). He thrived there... and lucked out in having a wonderful experienced, caring teacher... and great class for him (mostly boys). He loved school... and I think, in many ways, it has made our homeschooling experience easier.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#33 of 47 Old 12-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Just to add a bit to what a pp said, there's some research that indicates an increase in aggressive behavior when children 3-4 are in preschool for more than 15 hours a week. So you might want to think about keeping it to a minimum if you do send your dc, although of course every child is different. I am personally pretty opposed to preschool, but maybe that's because I hated it (I actually remember the 1 day I went) and my mom pulled me out. ;-)
#34 of 47 Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
no, because I'm committed to HSing and because I don't think there are really any benefits to preschool. IMO it's just glorified daycare.
I dont think of it as glorified daycare! Dd went to a GREAT preschool and ds really wanted to go too. He is only gone 2 hrs a day for 3 days. It has helped him quite a bit with name writing, and other things he just didnt want to do at home. He loves his teacher so much, she is great, and they do alot of family oriented activities. Since he has started preschool, it has actually been easier to homeschool him. NOw he really wants to get involved in the math activities when dd does them, and he likes to try to write and spell at home now too!

I think if it were daycare, I would drop him off and leave him there all day! Daycare would be a "break" from him, but I drop him off, spend 20 minutes with him getting his projects done, then pick him up about an hour and a half later.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#35 of 47 Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
I'll share my experience, even though I'm sensing it's a minority viewpoint here.

I did send my twins to preschool. At age 2, they attended 2x/week for 2 hours each day. At age 3, they attend 3x/week for 2 1/2 hours each day. At age 4, they will attend 4x/week for 2 1/2 hours each day. At this program, the time sent in school is relatively brief.

I did find some HUGE benefits. Foremost, my children learned to make transitions quickly and easily. I went from taking forever to get us out of the house and still being late, to having my children cooperate and quickly dress and exit. Our preschool worked on transitions and my children benefitted greatly.

I considered it a "positive" that my children developed relationships with very nurturing teachers and learned to accept necessary limits from them.

I considered it a "positive" that my children spent a good chunk of time playing with and developing relationships with a consistent group of children.

They also benefitted in my view from the structure.

I don't think these benefits are limited in their usefulness simply to children continuing in a formal school institution. I also don't think these benefits can exclusively be derived from preschool. But for me, as a single parent with no family in the area and twins, preschool was immensely helpful to our family and to my childrne.
So how do you feel that those positives will translate to your homeschooling?
#36 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
Just curious. We're planning on HS, but with the *chance* that we can't continue, I was wondering what your thoughts on the benefits of preschool are if you plan on HS anyway. Did you send your child to preschool? Tell me why.
well .... we are planning on HS our 3 small ones. We are starting DD#2 in a Mother's Day Out program 2 days/week in January. For us, it's an opportunity for her to get out, socialize, and to help us 'structure' our life a bit. I'm hoping to be able to spend a little more one on one time with the boys, and JUST possibly get my house a bit more organized/decluttered, etc.

Our DD#2 really gets cabin fever, and honestly, I don't have the energy to get out with her every day. I think she will enjoy this.

I'm one of the few here who said yes, but I think this will work well for us.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#37 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM

we did two years of preschool per girl. 2 hrs a week, twice a week. at a co-op, where parents participate once or twice a month. it was a great community builder for me, got us out of the house, and was completely 'playschool' with NO emphasis on academics, NAYEC accredited with complete emphasis on PLAY.

we could have continued to 3 days a week, 2.5 hours but didn't enjoy the teacher as much and thought it more of a hassle than it would be worth.

and we plan to homeschool through high school.
#38 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Yes I did send my son to school after my daughter was born. I was really happy with the preschool and did part time from age 4-5 when he went to primary school. Again, really happy with the school. I am glad I made the choice to put my children in school though I am open and understanding of homeschooling. It's a person by person choice; try it out and if it feels wrong, you can always change your mind.
#39 of 47 Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
So how do you feel that those positives will translate to your homeschooling?
I'm not the poster you're questioning, but I'm not sure where you're going with this. Must they "translate to homeschooling" for the experiences to have been worthwhile or valuable?
#40 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 AM

I'm trying to get a feel for how the PP felt those positives she listed benefited them as HSers. How people feel it benefited them as out of home schoolers has generally been well covered on other forums, so I thought I'd ask the same thing here.
#41 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Again, I see no reason for any positives to "translate" to hs'ing. The way the post was written, it sounds as though the poster believes they stand on their own merit. Why would they need further justification?
#42 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
Again, I see no reason for any positives to "translate" to hs'ing. The way the post was written, it sounds as though the poster believes they stand on their own merit. Why would they need further justification?
Well, as I see it, schooling builds on itself continually and each model of education (homeschool or out-of-home school) have certain attributes that make the effort successful/easier. As a matter of fact, often when people start homeschooling after sending their kids to school, they give them a period to detox so that they can find their own rhythm of schooling.

Pre-school can be seen as totally separate from regular school or as a prep for regular school. I think Arduinna's question is valid. What would pre-school add to a homeschooler's experience? And when that question is answered, it begs another question: why not just send the child to school?

It all depends on your idea of what exactly pre-school is trying to achieve, what the mission and goals of pre-school are.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#43 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM

I guess I should answer too. Sorry, this'll be long.

DD1 did go to preschool, but that the time, we were not planning to homeschool. Her first year was at a play-based cooperative that met 3x/week for 2.25 hours. I was in the classroom 2-3 times per month, and the adult:child ratio was fantastic (5 adults to 19 kids). The teacher was wonderful with the kids, and amazingly supportive of the parents too. It was a great experience for me. I had time to get to know all of her classmates as individuals, and all of their moms, as well as several dads too.

DD loved it. As a newly turned 3 year old, she was still mostly engaging in parallel play, but she did seem to enjoy being around the other kids. She got to do a lot of neat things that we don't do at home. I don't set up the easel every day. I don't have a sand/rice/water tub out every day. I don't have paste and glue and glitter out every day. I don't have simple science experiments set up every day. We don't have a play kitchen and at the time we didn't have many dress up clothes (that has changed!). We don't go on a nature walk every day (nature was one of her teacher's favorite topics). I just don't have the time, energy, or inclination, and I refuse to feel bad about it. (I also don't think any hs'ing parent should feel obligated to provide those things, but DD sure did enjoy them!)

Looking back now as a fully committed hs'ing parent, our coop still gets a great big from me. If we still lived there, I'd have no qualms about signing DD2 up next year. And as an aside, I've since met several hs'ing families who also belong to coop preschools.

But we moved, and the only option was a traditional play-based preschool: 3x/week, 2.5 hours. DD1 really wanted to go, so she did. The teachers are wonderful, but it just isn't the same as a coop. I didn't feel as involved in what was going on in the classroom, and that doesn't sit well with me. The sessions were a little more structured than I preferred, and I felt the kids didn't get outside to the playground for long enough. There wasn't as much exuberant exploration going on, but it was still very much play-based. It did give me some time to focus on my little one, which was nice.

So now I'm conflicted about DD2. She remembers the preschool and its playground, and has informed me that she wants to go to preschool like her big sister did. But I'm not so sure about it. On the other hand, it would be great to have some quiet(er) time to focus on my 1st grader.

Tentatively, I'm thinking we'll enroll her, but we won't feel bad about taking her out if for any reason we're not comfy with how things are going. I may look at some 1 day/week alternatives as well. And we might do preschool for just one year, because once she's 4, she'll be old enough to participate in some of our local homeschooling activities with her big sister. Or by the time enrollment rolls around, maybe I'll have changed my mind and decided to keep her home instead. How's that for indecision?

*sigh* If there was a good coop preschool nearby, I'd be a lot happier!
#44 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Pre-school can be seen as totally separate from regular school or as a prep for regular school.
Yup, and I see it as totally separate. Despite the name of "preschool," it isn't about schooling for us, and our preschools haven't been rah-rah about Kindergarten.

Quote:
What would pre-school add to a homeschooler's experience? And when that question is answered, it begs another question: why not just send the child to school?
I disagree, because I don't feel everything we do has to be linked to hs'ing. I don't analyze all of our activites through a hs'ing lens.

But wrt to the post being questioned, ease with transitions may be helpful at home, assuming it actually comes home with the child. Relationships with caring adults aren't a dime a dozen, especially when you don't have family living nearby. And though I fully agree with Neufeld's philosophy, I don't believe supervised playtime with peers at age 3-5 is leading kids down the path to a peer-oriented culture. To me, that's just plain old fun.

Quote:
It all depends on your idea of what exactly pre-school is trying to achieve, what the mission and goals of pre-school are.
For us, preschool was intended to be for fun only. And we chose preschools whose missions/goals had very little to do with preparing children for school. Maybe that's why I find this line of questioning so bizarre.
#45 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 01:34 PM

No. We've spent that time instead participating in homeschool group activities and gymnastics/ballet type classes. Since school related promotion (omg your 5 you're going to kindergarten is so ubiquitous, we felt that our DD would more easily except that she wasn't going to be a part of that if she had a strong group of friends that were also sharing her homeschool journey.
#46 of 47 Old 12-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
The poster that was asked the question isn't required to answer. They don't need further justification, I was just asking.
#47 of 47 Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM

My oldest and middle child could be in preschool right now. At the beginning of the school year I had to reevaluate everything about homeschooling because the deadline to sign up for preschool loomed like I'm sure the kindergarten deadline will. I had to make sure that I was set in my decision to homeschool.

In my mind, sending my kids to preschool would have been prep for private or public school. I work full-time and I admit that the thought "free daycare" ran through my mind more than once but really, where does it stop? If I don't get used to my kids at home now then what? I sign them up for kindergarten because it is free and so on?

Mama to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page