If HS became illegal, wwyd? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I misspoke (mistyped?) in the op. I know it isnt illegal in ca or nj, but the legislation in nj is trying to make it much much harder to do and from my understanding, I thought the thing in ca made it so you could only hs if you were a certified teacher?

Anyway, it just made me think. Even when it doesnt work, this type of stuff keeps popping up. LIke the powers that be are out to get us, LOL! Ok, conspiracy theories anyone? But seriously, it was just a what if type question because I see that homeschoolers are having to constantly and vigilanty defend the right to do so. I dont get why. Likea pp said, there isnt enough funding for the kids they have in ps now!! Just seems like it is always one state or another is trying to curb or curtail it. Or control it more rigidly.

Im not sure what I'd do if it became illegal here (highly unlikely, I realize I live in a perfect state for hs...texas) but still, I think about these things. Yes, I have to borrow trouble!

I was just curious what others thought they would do in that situation.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#32 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 AM

The California case was overturned - and in any case, it was directly in conflict with existing law.

I don't know what I'd do if it actually was made illegal.
#33 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
Well, I just read about it being outlawed in a canton in Switzerland unless the parent has a teacher's certificate... and in many parts of Europe it is utterly illegal, to the extent of children being taken from their homes.
It is harder to homeschool in Europe, but it's different over there (I'm in the U.S. on a visit at the moment). Homeschooling is just starting to gain popularity--it's not like it was like how it is in the U.S. and then suddenly became illegal or highly restricted. In some countries, homeschooling for religious reasons arouses suspicion rather than understanding (are they fundamentalists? are they in a cult?).

I also think the U.S. is less comfortable with policing parents before there's been any evidence to suggest there is a problem. In France you get home visits from the very first year you homeschool. In Switzerland a lot of families who homeschool are not Swiss. Some are, but I think many of us figure if they try to restrict it too much we'll move. Out of 50 homeschooling families in canton Zurich, only 8 are fighting the new laws. In some European countries it can be as easy to homeschool as in the U.S. It can be so different from one country to another.

I'm rambling, but my point is that what's going on in Europe really shouldn't be viewed as an indicator of what could happen in the U.S. I think eventually it will be easier to homeschool in Europe. I do not think homeschooling will be strictly controlled or ever made illegal in the U.S. It's just not gonna happen!
#34 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

I'd HS underground. I know a bunch of people that were doing that as response to PA and NY HSing laws 20 years ago.
#35 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I'd HS underground. I know a bunch of people that were doing that as response to PA and NY HSing laws 20 years ago.
How do you do that?
#36 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
...and from my understanding, I thought the thing in ca made it so you could only hs if you were a certified teacher?
No. It's a rather long story, but here's the bottom line:
"On August 8, the California Court of Appeal for the Second Appellate District ruled that homeschooling is indeed a legal option in California. This was a reversal of a ruling in February of this year that parents must hold a teaching credential to homeschool their children, and confirms HSC’s long held interpretation of private school laws."

Lillian

#37 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Not something I'll go into detail about on a public forum. But the info is out there for those that go looking. And FTR I haven't done any looking recently. I don't have any minor children subject to compulsory attendance laws anymore so it hasn't come up. But it was a very hot topic years ago in the unschooling community.
#38 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Not something I'll go into detail about on a public forum. But the info is out there for those that go looking. And FTR I haven't done any looking recently. I don't have any minor children subject to compulsory attendance laws anymore so it hasn't come up. But it was a very hot topic years ago in the unschooling community.
I know in one school district in NY where many of the families are homeschooling without reporting- but it seems to be mostly because the superintendent of the district is hs friendly and doesn't care. The family member I had living there was one of the few that did report and they could have cared less about the paper work she sent in. I suppose if it was ever illegal, there would be a few angels out there in disguise as superintendent that would look the other way when it came to hsing. But you'd have to be in the right district!
#39 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Why would they be looking the other way? Why would the district even know the people were HSing in the first place, if they never had reported or been in the system YK?
#40 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exactly. My children, for example, have never been enrolled in school. So it's not like the school would know they were missing.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#41 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Why would they be looking the other way? Why would the district even know the people were HSing in the first place, if they never had reported or been in the system YK?
Smalll town.
#42 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Exactly. My children, for example, have never been enrolled in school. So it's not like the school would know they were missing.
BUt dont you have to file some type of HS paperwork either either with the school district or dept of education at the state level. I know this varies based on what state you are in. for example in AZ you only send in one affidavit the first year you HS and no one ever bothers you again. But they do have a 'record' that you are HS your kid.
#43 of 52 Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
BUt dont you have to file some type of HS paperwork either either with the school district or dept of education at the state level. I know this varies based on what state you are in. for example in AZ you only send in one affidavit the first year you HS and no one ever bothers you again. But they do have a 'record' that you are HS your kid.
Not in NJ. I don't have to do a thing as long as my kids were never in school noone in the school district even knows they exist, I guess.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#44 of 52 Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There are already rules in NYS law about homeschooling. The regulations are a PITA, but they don't affect my day-to-day interactions with my kids, and they guarantee that homeschooling can't be made illegal in my state, at least not without a huge fight.

I could see having to deal with more paperwork, but honestly I'm not worried in the slightest about HSing becomming illegal in the next 11 years (when DS is 18 and past school age.)

I don't have a "what if?" solution in my head because it's simply not something I'm worried about actually happening.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#45 of 52 Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
Not in NJ.
Nor in Michigan.
#46 of 52 Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM

Probably move to Canada. Unless the government was going to make it so that I didn't have to pay so much to send my kids to the private school we have picked out as our "backup" in case hsing doesn't work for us for whatever reason. Or maybe I'd use one of those virtual academies, like the K12 one here in Ohio.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#47 of 52 Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
Not in NJ. I don't have to do a thing as long as my kids were never in school noone in the school district even knows they exist, I guess.
In Kansas, we register our non-accredited private school one time with the state. We don't send anything for individual children. My dd's name isn't on the form at all. She has never been in school anywhere. She was born in another state. I don't know if Kansas or the school district even knows she exists.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#48 of 52 Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 PM

i would start my own school.

hh2.gif

#49 of 52 Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
I did, but I have friends who never bothered to file the paperwork. I often question whether we should have gotten on the city's radar, but we haven't had any issues with them. And I've only filed it for our older two, so they don't know about the younger two.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#50 of 52 Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 PM

I would so move, going under ground to homeschool if necessary.

I have only lived in Montana, Alaska and Texas for 20 years of homeschooling, because of thier laws.

The Mountains of North West Montana, or Alaska would look real good ;-)

Our 22nd Year of Homeschooling !
#51 of 52 Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
In my family's case, I attended the public school and my mom and little brother volunteered in the classrooms so much it was pretty obvious he was homeschooling. This was in Oregon between '85 and '91 and there were laws about registering as homeschoolers, but that never happened.
#52 of 52 Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 PM

I would find a loophole, like enrollment in a private correspondence school or something like that. And then I would pursue a teaching certificate if having one would get me "legal". And then I would use it to help other HSers.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page