If HS became illegal, wwyd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously, first california, not NJ. Im getting worried about precidents here.

If it were outlawed in your state, wwyd? Move? Continue illegally? give in and send them to ps? What?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Dar

??? Homeschooling is not illegal in California and never has been... ditto for New Jersey, AFAIK.

There was one recent case in California that could have created legal problems for homeschoolers, but it was all dealt with very efficiently and quickly, and nothing changed...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#3 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 03:46 AM

As Dar said, CA was a bump in the road and it is the same as it was before. Not wonderful like Laws in some states, but still possible.

Lets assume though the idea that Tomorrow it would be considered illegal to homeschool my child in this state no matter what I try.

We would do all we can to move. NOT easy considering my husbands job! How could you hide it? Not let your child out? Quit church and girl scouts and dance and not let your child out of the house to play with friends in the afternoons and weekends?

I do not think it would be right to pull the child away from the world and no way I could lie or ask my child to lie and carry that burden. Lies are heavy things that can eat you and break the best parts of yourself.

Better to try and move!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#4 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
??? Homeschooling is not illegal in California and never has been... ditto for New Jersey, AFAIK.

There was one recent case in California that could have created legal problems for homeschoolers, but it was all dealt with very efficiently and quickly, and nothing changed...
This is what I thought as well.

I don't believe it will become illegal anyway. And I also do not have anything against school outside the home, but I don't like the public schools in our particular zone so we'd likely use a private school if we ever had the need.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#5 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 AM

living in the bible belt I don't even worry about it here. There would be alot of angry voters, and it would probably scoot through the courts pretty quick because for alot of people its a freedom of religion issue. I think the powers that be know they can't get rid of it, so rather than trying to ban it some states just like to monkey around with the requirements.

Florida is a state that has umbrella schools too. I think most states would be hard pressed to regulate all private schools to make sure kids are sitting in seats, so even if they banned regular homeschooling then there would be private schools willing to take up the paperwork.

:Retro Mommy to Viv 5/14/04 and my little Bam-Bam Hank 5/16/08 and wife to my electric and electrician hubby Justin: Proud Vegetarian Homeschooling Hippie Freaks!::
#6 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM

We would move if we had to ..I don't see it happening as others said there would be so many people agianst it .

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#7 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Seriously, first california, not NJ. Im getting worried about precidents here.

If it were outlawed in your state, wwyd? Move? Continue illegally? give in and send them to ps? What?
Hsing is legal in NJ. That's never been threatened. Legislation has been proposed to regulate hsing but that is currently sitting in committee with no action and little support. It was introduced in response to an out of state news story about abuse/neglect of a truant child, so it doesn't have very good footing, imo.

I don't see any risk of hsing being outlawed--but to play along:

One of the few reasons we live where we do is hsing freedoms. So, moving would be an option for us. I imagine we'd also look for other options within legal bounds -- maybe joining a cover school or a part-time free school, or hiring a tutor. We'd consider going underground, depending on the consequences. But I think the legislature would have quite an uprising on their hands if they attempted to outlaw hsing.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#8 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM

I would enroll my son in public school and fight to have it made legal again, but he would do okay and we'd just adjust. My daughter...I'd try for a medical exemption for a few years. If it wasn't possible, I'd go to school with her. All day, every day.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#9 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM

Fight like hell to make it legal again, enroll the kids in school, and abuse the absentee policy to its fullest extent to continue our homeschooling fun. Drive the school insane with our disregard for busy work and standardized testing results, especially if it got in the way of our evening and weekend plans. Take advantage of any programs, equipment, and field trips we might not have had access to as homeschoolers.
#10 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

Look for loop holes - like cyber-schools through the ministry or private schools.

If that were to fail - I would research what the penalty was for HS illegally. If it were simply "send them to school" I would HS until orderred to stop/facing charges.

I doubt I would have to lie about anything. If they were enrolled in an umbrella school, I would simply state the name of the school when asked.

It would be very unlikely we would move. My DH has an excellent job with the Feds. My children would probably prefer to go to school than give up their house and friends.
#11 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM

if homeschooling became illegal in my state, i would raise cain and fight back big time. however, i don't *think* that's ever going to happen. homeschooling is not only growing, but it is also a huge mass market now. it definitely would effect a lot more than just homeschoolers, it would also effect a million dollar industry, ykwim? therefore, a lot of companies would be fighting right along with us. just my thoughts.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#12 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Hypothetically, I would probably found (probably with the help of other interested homeschoolers) a new private school that would serve our needs and have extremely flexible hours/"attendance" requirements (whatever was the minimum necessary to satisfy laws), and not charge more than cost for membership (I mean enrollment ).

In the meantime I suppose I would enroll them in whatever school seemed to best fit our philosophies, that we could also afford.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#13 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 PM

We'd sell the house and trade in our travel trailer for the fifth wheel we've been eyeing up. Home sweet home would just be a bit smaller and much more portable.
#14 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 PM

I think *someday* in the future the regulations against homeschooling will make it very difficult to do it legally. I expect in the next 50 years there will be national legislation for it. That being said, HYPOTHETICALLY: there would likely be religious loop holes and other loop holes that we would find to make it happen still. We wouldn't ask our children to lie, nor would we choose a public school. There's always Canada.... lol!
#15 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM

We'd move or live off the grid or sue.

It is ridiculous to me to imagine the government having the right to FORCE us to hand our children off to strangers for their "education" if we, the parents, object. I feel it is fundamentally unconstitutional. As much as I would want to fight, I also know this time is precious and goes by quickly so we might just decide to take the path of least resistence and move to a different state. (We would like to live off the grid as much as possible once we are land and homeowners anyway.)
#16 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
I think *someday* in the future the regulations against homeschooling will make it very difficult to do it legally. I expect in the next 50 years there will be national legislation for it.
I agree, though, that there will be regulations - or attempts to regulate... especially as the unions are threatened by our growing numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Hypothetically, I would probably found (probably with the help of other interested homeschoolers) a new private school that would serve our needs and have extremely flexible hours/"attendance" requirements (whatever was the minimum necessary to satisfy laws), and not charge more than cost for membership (I mean enrollment ).
New York's Albany Free School anyone? Definitely a plan - a parent-led co-op private school with minimal fees. Love it!
#17 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4it2snow View Post
I agree, though, that there will be regulations - or attempts to regulate... especially as the unions are threatened by our growing numbers.
I don't even understand why any homeschooler or unschooler would be a concern for the unions now. All you hear day in and day out now is how there isn't enough funding for the children that are in schools now. How would that be any better if they try to force more students into the system? They already get our tax dollars as it is. It's not like they would get more money from taxes if there are more kids. There's no education tax surplus fund hiding anywhere.
#18 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM

I guess my kids would just go to school. But, really, I'm not worried it's going to happen. Homeschoolers around here are a loud bunch. A few years ago they tried to change our regulations and we all rallied at the local gov't building. I think they (the government) and the rest of society were shocked at how many of us there were. They must of thought they were affecting a couple of families, but when they saw there were hundreds of us they backed down.

I do worry that the regulations may become more strict as there are more and more homeschoolers. "Okay, you can homeschool, but you HAVE to do it our way." And college entrance may become more difficult as there are more and more homeschoolers applying.
#19 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM

What would the state do if HS were outlawed? I don't think they could handle the surge of kids that would needs desks. Seriously. I doubt it will become outlawed. Some states may decide to place more restrictions on it, but that's a different thread. Ya know, for a free country, we have no idea what equality really is. That's another thread, too.
#20 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 02:55 PM

We would comply with the law and deal with it or move somewhere else.

Assuming there were legal options like virtual schools we would try that.

I really don't believe that homeschooling ever will be illegal while my dd is school age. I think some places might add more restrictions in response to the growing number of home educators.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM

:
#22 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM

I'd first try to sign my kids up for a "correspondence course" with my friends who have degrees in education.
#23 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Like others, I don't see this happening any time soon.

IF it did, we'd find a way to keep homeschooling...move, find loop holes, fight like hell, make lots of noise, make sure they realize that IF they make us enroll our children, they might come to regret it.

Many of them will NOT be ideal students, having been infected with the joy of learning and the joy of learning their own way.

But maybe the bigger question (just maybe, not meaning to be presumptuous) is:

WHAT CAN I DO to make sure this never happens?
Homeschoolers are, by and large, well-educated and well-informed and well-connected. All of that should be used to make us more powerful and influential politically.

Maryhippie.gif

#24 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM

We'd move to a place where it was legal, and fight like mad to make it legal everywhere. That said, dh and I are both fully credentialed teachers - my credential covers K-12 in a self-contained classroom. So, even with the bump in the road out here in CA, we were still covered. I feel good keeping my credential active (and it's easy and fairly cheap) should the need ever arise, but honestly, I don't see homeschooling in general becoming illegal. They (some powers that be) may try and make it as difficult as possible (and yes, teachers and their unions would love to outlaw it completely - my dh works with people that cannot begin to understand why we homeschool, and feel the only reason we are okay homeschooling is because we are credentialed teachers ), but I don't see it being outlawed. I like to think that as a country, we are moving towards a more evolved view of things, which to me means less big-brother-like. Maybe it's just hopeful thinking.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#25 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

It's simply not going to happen! California is a wonderful place for homeschooling - the little bubble of ignorance that went through a while back was quickly burst. Homeschoolers are a very powerful political force. There's no need to spend so much as a minute of your time worrying about homeschooling becoming illegal anywhere. - Lillian
#26 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM

I'd open my own private school.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#27 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 PM

if homebirth was illegal it wouldn't stop me from having a baby at home and making homeschool illegal wouldn't stop me from homeschooling. I would just be more careful.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#28 of 52 Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
if homebirth was illegal it wouldn't stop me from having a baby at home and making homeschool illegal wouldn't stop me from homeschooling. I would just be more careful.
:

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#29 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Well, I just read about it being outlawed in a canton in Switzerland unless the parent has a teacher's certificate... and in many parts of Europe it is utterly illegal, to the extent of children being taken from their homes.

We have so many areas here in North America where we have complete homeschooling freedom, and such immense support groups, that sometimes it's easy to forget that there is still, in some areas, a HUGE opposition to free homeschooling. If it's not to be outlawed completely, it should be heavily regulated. The general population does not understand unschooling, and even many styles of homeschooling which WE would consider as very 'structured' would still be seen as "dangerously unstructured" by a society acclimated only to the public school system.

I do think that there is enough of a vocal and powerful homeschool "lobby" to overturn any kind of legislation if it came to pass... at least I hope it is... but there are other powerful lobbies out there too, and we are, technically, outnumbered. And there are States where it is still heavily regulated. What's to keep a less restrictive state from taking their example? Our optimism is not enough. There are "bad people" in governments and in lobby groups, anything COULD happen even if it is not LIKELY.

What would I do? I'd keep homeshooling and fight tooth and nail. I'd be a vocal antagonist. I hope I would be, anyway. Faced with a real threat of my children being removed unless I cooperated? I hope I never have to face that. We would not want to move... we just moved BACK here in order to be close to our families (some of which also homeschool!). Homeschooling is less common here than where we were previously.

I dunno. I don't stress about it or anything, but I do think about it sometimes.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#30 of 52 Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 AM

I would probably send them to school but then make no effort to make them do homework or anything...I would say , "well you wanted the job of teacher...do it I'm out"
or maybe just move to the bible belt

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page