Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, theretohere, for saying it again for me
#32 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Now I feel like I say this a lot but the Well Trained Mind is excellent- but it's technically neoclassical. Have you checked out the Latin Centered Curriculum?
Welcome and happy researching!
What makes something "neoclassical"? Is it just because it deviates from the old standard? Just curious, as I have never heard the difference. Can you also give me an example of what is in the Latin Centered that is different from what WTM suggests? Thanks!
#33 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydoulamama View Post
What makes something "neoclassical"? Is it just because it deviates from the old standard? Just curious, as I have never heard the difference. Can you also give me an example of what is in the Latin Centered that is different from what WTM suggests? Thanks!
NAK so bear with me.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/HSBCompanyBlog/614157/ I think has a little explanation.
Some differences are the early emphasis on the languages in a Classical education and that the Well Trained Mind has some of the "great books" approach.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#34 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Ah, I'm so happy to see a classical homeschooling thread! My dds only just turned 4, but we are plnning to homeschool - our town just amalgameted every elementary school into a mega-school and I can't see her going there. I was a classics major myself so I find the trivium fits into my way of thinking about things.

In any case, we are taking it easy for now, she is sounding out words and doing a bit of adding, but I will be lurking here for ideas.
I :: big words, and you won my "big word of the day" "contest" I do everyday. I try to find large words that aren't usually used and then go look them up. I was getting worried since it was 17:44 and I hadn't come across anything. YAY!!!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#35 of 52 Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Thanks, theretohere, for saying it again for me
No problem. I LOVE to sit and blab about Classical homeschool and why I think it's the flippity freezer pop.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#36 of 52 Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydoulamama View Post
Info on Latin Centered vs. Trivium-inspired neoclassical is #5 on this page. Also here.

Andrew Campbell's general take on Classical Ed is here.
#37 of 52 Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 PM

: We're just preschoolers but I'd love it if there was a classical thread here. We lurk at WTM forums, as well.
#38 of 52 Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
I :: big words, and you won my "big word of the day" "contest" I do everyday. I try to find large words that aren't usually used and then go look them up. I was getting worried since it was 17:44 and I hadn't come across anything. YAY!!!
Woo hoo! Although I'm afraid that I had spelled it wrong and was only saved by the spell-check. Thank you whole reading!

I found it interesting to hear people's comments on the well-trained mind. I found it had some really good ideas, and I do like the great books approach, but I thought that the reading lists were - perhaps a bit much? - for high school aged kids. And there seemed to be SO much work, right from 1st grade.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#39 of 52 Old 01-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I found it interesting to hear people's comments on the well-trained mind. I found it had some really good ideas, and I do like the great books approach, but I thought that the reading lists were - perhaps a bit much? - for high school aged kids. And there seemed to be SO much work, right from 1st grade.
The authors have clarified that they never intended for anyone to use everything they suggested. They blame their publisher for insisting that they needed to make up lists and schedules.

The Well Trained Mind forums are a great place to learn more. Some of the posters are neoclassical all the way, but most/many are more eclectic in their philosophy.
#40 of 52 Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM

If you go to the WTM website you can see some "typical day" entries that will give you a better idea. And at the forums you really get the feel that it's a very "customizable" curriculum; practioners range from very relaxed to very strict. We're more relaxed because our kids are zipping through the material and don't seem to need much repetition. It's all about AP: noting that works for your kids and adjusting as needed.
#41 of 52 Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Is Ambelside a Classical Education?
Rebeeca
#42 of 52 Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relynn View Post
Rebeeca

No, Ambleside isn't classical. It's based on the ideas of Charlotte Mason, who believed that great literature, "living books", short lessons and a liberal education were more beneficial to the student than dry textbooks.

Ambleside doesn't follow a 4yr. history cycle either. The booklist is amazing though and it does offer a very vigorous liberal education!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#43 of 52 Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Hi there-
This is my first post on this thread, and I could use some opinions on our situation...
I am pretty convinced I want to do Classical home schooling with my kids (DD is 2, DS will be here in April), and my husband is almost on board I have fallen in love with The Well-Trained Mind, and want to do a close modeling of it when the time comes, minus some of the religiously-based curriculum.

But here's my question.
I've been doing a parent-participation nursery school with DD this year, and she loves it. It's very play-based, and a sweet little school. We intend to do it next year as well, given her positive reaction and enjoyment of it. Is this bizarre? That I want to home school but we are doing a nursery program? My current thought is that I will begin supplementing/doing phonics in the next year, and in the meantime, she and I will make some friendships we can hopefully hang on to when they all go off to elementary school/home school. This year, the class is one day a week for 2 hours, with me there the whole time. Next year, it's 2 days a week for 2.5 hours, one day I'm there, one day I'm not. My MIL will stay with our baby on the morning I am at school, which is as ideal a situation as I can manufacture.

I would really love some feedback on this. I am so torn. I love the idea of keeping her home and doing school, but she is having a wonderful time and has not, as yet, picked up anything I wouldn't want her to. Is it "ok" to do nursery school and then Classical home school?

Angela
#44 of 52 Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelak2008 View Post
... But here's my question.
I've been doing a parent-participation nursery school with DD this year, and she loves it. It's very play-based, and a sweet little school. We intend to do it next year as well, given her positive reaction and enjoyment of it. Is this bizarre? That I want to home school but we are doing a nursery program? My current thought is that I will begin supplementing/doing phonics in the next year, and in the meantime, she and I will make some friendships we can hopefully hang on to when they all go off to elementary school/home school. This year, the class is one day a week for 2 hours, with me there the whole time. Next year, it's 2 days a week for 2.5 hours, one day I'm there, one day I'm not. My MIL will stay with our baby on the morning I am at school, which is as ideal a situation as I can manufacture.
Angela
My 5yo is in her fourth year at a parent participation nursery school. Next year, we plan to do school at home. I don't find this odd at all. I see our nursery school as an enriching environment in which we both get to interact with other children & parents we both trust. There is also a parent education component that I find very valuable. Though most families go on to school outside the home, a few home school & many seek parent participation schools where they can continue to be closely involved in their child's schooling.
#45 of 52 Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM

We have been eclectic with homeschooling, but have been using more of the classical ideas for the older two the past 2 years.

My two oldest (ages 9 and 10) will be starting Latin this week.
We are going to use this program: http://www.galorepark.co.uk/subjects...ers-latin.html
It looks very good and straightforward, and the prices are very goo.
They also sell a Greek package.
Both packages are designed for British private schools, but I am pretty sure they are perfectly usable in the US.

Do you ladies teach children younger than 9-10 ?
If so, what do you use and how do you do it?

Also, does anybody have good links about classical home education?
#46 of 52 Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 PM

I love our nursery school, I have often joked if I could keep my kids in nursery school forever I would. The teachers are wonderful and caring and the children are only there for a few hours a week. It gives me a little break and it gives them some w/out Mommy time, which while I DO NOT like how much of that PS gives, I think a little bit is good.
Alas, we can't afford Nursery school again next year, and with HSing the older ones the running to and from NS would make it difficult to school at all in the AM so we'll just be forgoing it all together next year.
So anyways, I don't think you're weird at all.

Mom to DD 7, DS 6, DD 4.5, DD 2.5, DS 1.5 and expecting DD4 anyday now. Planning my second : and ready for fun!
#47 of 52 Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Thank you guys so much for your replies. They made me feel a lot better about our decision. I don't know why I thought if I did nursery school I "couldn't" then home school, but I did. I'm over it We'll do both

Angela
#48 of 52 Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
My two oldest (ages 9 and 10) will be starting Latin this week.
We are going to use this program: http://www.galorepark.co.uk/subjects...ers-latin.html
It looks very good and straightforward, and the prices are very goo.
They also sell a Greek package.
Are you using Latin Prep or So You Really Want to Learn Latin? The latter would probably be too much for a 9 or 10yo.

The Greek distributed by Galore Park is not one of their products. However, they are working on a Classical Greek program, the first volume of which is due out by fall 2009, IIRC.
#49 of 52 Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees View Post
Are you using Latin Prep or So You Really Want to Learn Latin? The latter would probably be too much for a 9 or 10yo.

The Greek distributed by Galore Park is not one of their products. However, they are working on a Classical Greek program, the first volume of which is due out by fall 2009, IIRC.
We are not using anything yet, but were thinking of buying the "So You Really..." book this week. It is what several private schools use for kids entering year 7 (6 grade) which is what my daughter (turning 11 soon) is starting now. My son would be in year 5, entering year 6, but is very bright and does the same materials as my daughter. Their understanding of grammar is also very good.

Having said that, DH was looking at their samples, and his plan was to take it slow and stretch the chapter over several lessons + add more practice himself.
Is the other program you suggested better , you think? Do you have a link? (I did not see that in their book store)
#50 of 52 Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 AM

Duh! I had not seen the Latin Prep books on their site!
Thanks, I will take a look at them now! And they do recommend them for kids 7 - 11 I don't Latin to be torture, so we'd better start light.

Thanks again for mentioning that!
#51 of 52 Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Duh! I had not seen the Latin Prep books on their site!
Thanks, I will take a look at them now! And they do recommend them for kids 7 - 11 I don't Latin to be torture, so we'd better start light.

Thanks again for mentioning that!
Latin Prep is humorous, but not easy. It moves at about 2/3 the pace of SYRWTLL, and according to the publisher, you can do the three books of Latin Prep followed by the third book from the SYRWTLL series.

SYRWTLL is best suited to Years 9-11 (ages 14-16), as it prepares students for the GSCE. Likewise, Latin Prep is not suitable for 7yo's. Galore Park's website is a bit confusing.

There's a Galore Park User Support group on Yahoo! in which the publisher participates (though it is not an official Galore Park group). There are also a number of Galore Park users on the Well Trained Mind boards.
#52 of 52 Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I've been doing a parent-participation nursery school with DD this year, and she loves it. It's very play-based, and a sweet little school. We intend to do it next year as well, given her positive reaction and enjoyment of it. Is this bizarre? That I want to home school but we are doing a nursery program?
I agree with the PPs. Totally not bizarre. Homeschooling's all about customizing and finding a good fit (very AP, in my opinion ) so it makes sense to just do what works.
There are also after-schoolers (who just use school as a babysitter or for the free extra-curriculars) and people that send their kids to school part-time or to homeschooling academies, and people who co-op. There's a good academy near where we live that we're considering that follows the WTM curriculum. It's just down the street, so it's really convenient, too. They meet Mondays and Wednesdays and math/LA is done at home the other days. Seems like a nice fit for us.
I've also met cyber-homeschoolers and charter-homeschoolers. There's something for everyone nowadays.

Quote:
Do you ladies teach children younger than 9-10 ?
If so, what do you use and how do you do it?
Mine are much younger. I've started preschool-stuff with my almost-4 yo. We work on math with manipulatives, dot-to-dot pictures, mazes, puzzles, dominoes, dice games, board games, etc. And we write letters to Grandmas and read nice children's books together. They also do arts and crafts with their dad and we go on nature walks together.

Quote:
Rebeeca
Technically, no. But the two can be combined quite easily and well. There's a lot of overlap. We've adopted some of the CM philosophies ourselves. Here's the WTM-author's article about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page