Can we have a Classical thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For families who proscribe to the multum non multa way of schooling?
What curriculums are you using? Are your kids liking Latin? Anyone doing Latin and Greek?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#2 of 52 Old 12-20-2008, 11:54 PM

We are 90% classical, but no Latin. I don't think Classical and Latin centered have to go hand in hand. We are rather eclectic about our classical curriculum, but we do Saxon math, SOTW, HWT, McGuffey, lots of literature and non fiction to reinforce science and history studies. And for language we do Swedish because our family hasn't been off the boat for more then a couple generations and it's a big part of our family culture.

I think Classical Education is more about the Trivium which I agree with completely when is comes to the grammar stage. I take a few issues with the emphasis on the dialectic stage and I think that sometime the rhetoric stage is counter productive. This is all mostly because our family is not reformed in our theology and I think many Classical home educators "produce" children that end up applying their classical education to scripture in a way that we just don't do as Eastern Orthodox. I am sure this may not make much sense unless you take similar issue, but it's personal reflection on the trivium and all in all I think it is an excellent way of educating.

But again- no Latin
#3 of 52 Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
For families who proscribe to the multum non multa way of schooling?
What curriculums are you using? Are your kids liking Latin? Anyone doing Latin and Greek?

We are doing Latin for Children primer A, but with the holidays and a move, rearranging our new school room and a few unfortunate dental visits w/ several more to come I think that our Latin practice has suffered this month. We are using HO w/ SOTW, We use Saxon math for basic practice really and we stick with it for that but have all told around 30 or 40 math books that we use for various things. We are using R.E.A.L science , right now we are using Great Science Adventures on Atoms and Molecules. I don't think that we are strict classical schoolers, but we do follow it on an eclectic scale like a lot of people

My son wanted these smilies here
#4 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 AM

I am more of a relaxed classical follower. No Latin. We use Story of the World, History Odyssey, Math-U-See, R.E.A.L Science, & Voyages in English. Alhtough we will be switching to a different Language Arts for next year.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#5 of 52 Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM

We are pretty much neo-classical. I'd love to do more of a Latin-centered approach, but at this point, it's just not happening. We're at chapter 13 in Latin for Children Primer A and at this point our goal is to finish it in the next fifty-four weeks (by the end of 'fourth grade'). Dd is weak in spelling and handwriting, so Latin has been hard for her apart from the actual memorization of vocabulary. I'm actually thinking we'd do better to switch to Greek so that the spelling of the words wouldn't confuse her.

Apart from that - we use Growing with Grammar, HWT, SOTW, Developmental Math, and Miquon. We're almost done with both math sequences so I'm trying to figure out our next step. We're going to start chemistry in February with Real Science 4 Kids, I think. That's most of our curriculum.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#6 of 52 Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

We're currently between pre-K and K.
This year we've been doing:
Rod and Staff preschool
Hooked on Phonics
Earlybird Mathmatics (Singapore)

This summer we're starting:
Prima Latina
Galloping the Globe
Earlybird (well, this one is continuing )
Memoria Press Copybook level K
God made Kindermusik
Art Instruction at home
and I'd really, really like to start piano, but we'll see

#7 of 52 Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Ours are loving Latin! : We're using Omnibus, Apologia, Warriner's Fourth Course Grammar, Teaching Textbooks Algebra I, Latin for Children, and Classical Writing for our oldest. Abeka Math & Phonics, Primary & Intermediate Language Lessons, Classical Writing, Latin for Children, Story of the World & Streams of Civilisation, and an online Science course for my younger children. We're also learning Tsalagi and continuing Sign Language. My older children have started Greek lessons with their Dad.

Orthodox Mama
#8 of 52 Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM

I'll be lurking. Right now we are K and Pre-K so getting ready to really dive in.

Can anyone suggest a good Latin program?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#9 of 52 Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM

We're using Singapore Math, Singapore My Pals are Here Science, History Odyssey, Lively Latin, Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts program, Megawords for spelling, The Learnables Spanish, Visual Link Spanish, and Atelier for art.

Latin is a big favourite here.
#10 of 52 Old 12-23-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I'll be lurking. Right now we are K and Pre-K so getting ready to really dive in.

Can anyone suggest a good Latin program?
We're starting Prima Latina and I know a lot of people who like it. Other favorites are Minimus and I've heard some good stuff about Song School Latin.

#11 of 52 Old 12-24-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
We're starting Prima Latina and I know a lot of people who like it. Other favorites are Minimus and I've heard some good stuff about Song School Latin.
I was planning on starting Latin at 3rd grade-ish level just based on recommendations from The Well-Trained Mind. Are there programs meant for younger children instead?
#12 of 52 Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydoulamama View Post
I was planning on starting Latin at 3rd grade-ish level just based on recommendations from The Well-Trained Mind. Are there programs meant for younger children instead?
Yes, Prima Latina is for Kindgergarten to grade 4. http://www.amazon.com/Prima-Latina-S...0131171&sr=8-1
There's also teacher's books, and DVDs and CDs.

#13 of 52 Old 12-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, Prima Latina is for Kindgergarten to grade 4. http://www.amazon.com/Prima-Latina-S...0131171&sr=8-1
There's also teacher's books, and DVDs and CDs.

Crap. Now I have more to plan for and buy. Added to my never-ending list! Thanks
#14 of 52 Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydoulamama View Post
Crap. Now I have more to plan for and buy. Added to my never-ending list! Thanks
LOL, no problem! I love to enable others purchases.

#15 of 52 Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Secular Latin suggestions:
To start Minimus - it is a fun introduction, not a lot of grammar but good historical and cultural information. For middle and high school: Ecce Romani. Because it is the most popular secular curriculum there are extensive free resources available on the web including: http://abney.homestead.com/ecce1.html Ecce Romani is a good fit with the National Latin Exam. The exam is available even at the intro level and it is easy to participate. http://www.nle.org/ Ecce Romani turned out to be good preparation for college Latin wth Oxford Latin. Cambridge Latin is another good choice.
#16 of 52 Old 12-26-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Secular Latin suggestions:
To start Minimus - it is a fun introduction, not a lot of grammar but good historical and cultural information. For middle and high school: Ecce Romani. Because it is the most popular secular curriculum there are extensive free resources available on the web including: http://abney.homestead.com/ecce1.html Ecce Romani is a good fit with the National Latin Exam. The exam is available even at the intro level and it is easy to participate. http://www.nle.org/ Ecce Romani turned out to be good preparation for college Latin wth Oxford Latin. Cambridge Latin is another good choice.
: I really like Minimus for fun, but wish it had more grammar.

#17 of 52 Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 PM

We are using Lively Latin and my son loves it.
#18 of 52 Old 12-27-2008, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
We are using Lively Latin and my son loves it.
How much grammar and syntax is in Lively Latin?

#19 of 52 Old 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM

I think the whole program is light but effective for the elementary age set. We are halfway through and have covered nouns, verbs, subject, predicate and predicate nominative. I like that it covers English derivative work as we've had some very interesting discussions when my son comes across vocabulary that he doesn't know in other settings.
#20 of 52 Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
I think the whole program is light but effective for the elementary age set. We are halfway through and have covered nouns, verbs, subject, predicate and predicate nominative. I like that it covers English derivative work as we've had some very interesting discussions when my son comes across vocabulary that he doesn't know in other settings.
Lively Latin Big Book 2 ramps it up considerably, though presentation still is still geared towards elementary age children.
#21 of 52 Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Hmmmm.....we are eclectic with some classical touches, perhaps I can hang here too some of the time. We are starting Artes Latinae for Latin and so far so good. We did do Minimus first. She has also done English from the Roots up. We also use Michael Clay Thompson books from www.rfwp.com, just into the first few units of WWW and Magic Lens. To finish out the LA we use Lightning Lit and Jr. Great books with another family. We use Art of Problem Solving for math, a little CyberEd and various explorations on our own for science. My dad is covering US history with her, but we may look at either history odyssey or history at our house for a spine for him to continue with world history. We did a few years of world history previously thru K12.
We seem to always lean toward a lot of 'classical' materials, but not sure if we are truly classical hs'ers. :-)
#22 of 52 Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
\
We seem to always lean toward a lot of 'classical' materials, but not sure if we are truly classical hs'ers. :-)
Yup! That's us too!
#23 of 52 Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 AM

We're definitely multum non multa (which, for the first time ever, I typed correctly -- I never could remember if it's "multum non multa" or "multa non multum", but I've been slogging through Henle myself and bits of the language are actually starting to stick in my brain -- yay me).

The big things at our house are Latin, math and music.

Older dd is using Latin for Children Level B, Life of Fred Algebra 1, Analytical Grammar, and we need to get back to Classical Writing. Younger is finishing up Minimus, using RightStart D, Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons year 3. They both study piano. The other stuff -- modern languages, science, history, visual arts, dance -- are determined by their interests.

I want to get Drew Campbell's new memorization book -- just not quite ready to spend the money yet. I'm a total LCC junky, and have Climbing Parnassus on my nightstand.
#24 of 52 Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Gwen View Post
We're definitely multum non multa (which, for the first time ever, I typed correctly -- I never could remember if it's "multum non multa" or "multa non multum", but I've been slogging through Henle myself and bits of the language are actually starting to stick in my brain -- yay me).

The big things at our house are Latin, math and music.

Older dd is using Latin for Children Level B, Life of Fred Algebra 1, Analytical Grammar, and we need to get back to Classical Writing. Younger is finishing up Minimus, using RightStart D, Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons year 3. They both study piano. The other stuff -- modern languages, science, history, visual arts, dance -- are determined by their interests.

I want to get Drew Campbell's new memorization book -- just not quite ready to spend the money yet. I'm a total LCC junky, and have Climbing Parnassus on my nightstand.

I don't think I've heard of Latin for Children before- who publishes it?
Good to see another LCC junky.

#25 of 52 Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think I've heard of Latin for Children before- who publishes it?
Good to see another LCC junky.
Classical Academic Press
#26 of 52 Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
Hmmmm.....we are eclectic with some classical touches, perhaps I can hang here too some of the time. We are starting Artes Latinae for Latin and so far so good. We did do Minimus first. She has also done English from the Roots up. We also use Michael Clay Thompson books from www.rfwp.com, just into the first few units of WWW and Magic Lens. To finish out the LA we use Lightning Lit and Jr. Great books with another family. We use Art of Problem Solving for math, a little CyberEd and various explorations on our own for science. My dad is covering US history with her, but we may look at either history odyssey or history at our house for a spine for him to continue with world history. We did a few years of world history previously thru K12.
You are welcome to hang out here!

#27 of 52 Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Ah, I'm so happy to see a classical homeschooling thread! My dds only just turned 4, but we are plnning to homeschool - our town just amalgameted every elementary school into a mega-school and I can't see her going there. I was a classics major myself so I find the trivium fits into my way of thinking about things.

In any case, we are taking it easy for now, she is sounding out words and doing a bit of adding, but I will be lurking here for ideas.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#28 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Banned

I've just read the first big chunk of The Well-Trained Mind (DD is still very young but we're trying to start investigating homeschooling options) and so I'm subbing to this thread! A lot of what that book explained about classical education appealed to me, although I still want to go out and read up on educational research on the methods (as a teacher I can't help needing to go troll ERIC and look at every possible kind of instruction ). I really liked the idea of giving kids exposure to the "good stuff" early on. It's been kind of our tactic already. I'm interested in learning more!
#29 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
Ah, I'm so happy to see a classical homeschooling thread! My dds only just turned 4, but we are plnning to homeschool - our town just amalgameted every elementary school into a mega-school and I can't see her going there. I was a classics major myself so I find the trivium fits into my way of thinking about things.

In any case, we are taking it easy for now, she is sounding out words and doing a bit of adding, but I will be lurking here for ideas.
Welcome! Ask anything you'd like.

#30 of 52 Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
I've just read the first big chunk of The Well-Trained Mind (DD is still very young but we're trying to start investigating homeschooling options) and so I'm subbing to this thread! A lot of what that book explained about classical education appealed to me, although I still want to go out and read up on educational research on the methods (as a teacher I can't help needing to go troll ERIC and look at every possible kind of instruction ). I really liked the idea of giving kids exposure to the "good stuff" early on. It's been kind of our tactic already. I'm interested in learning more!
Now I feel like I say this a lot but the Well Trained Mind is excellent- but it's technically neoclassical. Have you checked out the Latin Centered Curriculum?
Welcome and happy researching!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page