Does your library charge for requesting books? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
no and that would make me stop using hte library. we have started reserving several books on a topic (this week is tigers) and its so easy to do it online and pick up the books instead of spending an hour looking for them (the children's section is really unorganized).

i walk in, get the books, and leave (sometimes..other times we play and look for mommy books)...but the idea is that i dont have to spend all that time looking for 5 books on tigers.
Ditto!

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
At our library, you get the first request free, and then they charge you I think $.25 for each additional one (until the first one is filled, and then you get another free one). I find this highly irritating, as I often want to gather a few books, maybe 3-5, for a particular subject.

Is this normal for most library systems?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i'd die with a system like this!!!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#33 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i'd die with a system like this!!!
Me too. I'd move!!!!
#34 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM

Nope. I'm not in the states now, but my parents' library doesn't charge for requests (and I made plenty!)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#35 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Yes, .50/book.
#36 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM

ILL is free at my public library, but I don't expect it will be within a fairly short period of time.

I'm an academic librarian. We provide free ILL to our students and faculty, but that's not going to last. The average cost to the library of an ILL transaction is well over $20, and is closer to $40. Our funding is down significantly (as is the funding for my local public library). Nobody wants to charge, but there's just not going to be much choice.
#37 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The city library is free but in the county they charge $1/book. So I usually just get books sent from the county to the city rather than reserving them in the county.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#38 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
my library doesn't charge....but get this!!!... i can put books on hold but when i go to pick them up, they expect me to go and find the books: i'm from atlanta - you know...where you put a book on hold and go to the library desk and pick it up. that's normal to me...so i thought? well...not here! i live in a very small town in SC & when you put books on hold, the librarians do NOT collect them at all. according to them...a book on "hold" simply means if someone else tries to check out, they can't. that's so stupid.
Ok, this would annoy me so much! We use our hold system every week, since I have a toddler and it makes life so much easier.

Our library charges 25 cents for every book we place on hold that is transfered from another branch of our library system.

It figures that 9 times out of 10, our book of choice is from another branch. But, I'd rather pay the library 25 cents than have to drive aound to different branches in order to get the books we want/need.

Oceanbaby, we may be in the same geographical area....
#39 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 PM

Whoa. I had no idea some libraries charge!
I request things all the time with no charge. Our interlibrary loan system includes the entire state of Massachusetts. Any book in less than a week.
Of course there are overdue fees, but if you bring a book back on ANY Friday, all fines are waived for that book. :
#40 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM

God no.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#41 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 PM

This is the first system where I've been charged at all and they only charge if you don't get the item within a week $1.

And they send 2 emails about thew holds being available, and a 3-day warning for late books.
#42 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Wow, my library rocks. I'm in a library consortium, so I can go online and pluck books from any of the libraries in a dozen nearby towns (good thing, since we just moved to a tiny little town with a tiny little library!). My library gathers all of my books for me and has them waiting at my local library for free. I have a week or so to pick them up before they get sent back home.

NO fees.

NO overdue fees for books.

I'm thinking perhaps I ought to make a donation to my library when I get my tax return this year, to show them some love for being so great.

This is what my library is like. I my library system. If you keep something overdue for too long, they mark it lost (with a fee) and you can't get anything else until you either return it or pay the fee, but if you return it, you don't have to pay anything
#43 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

No fee however I know it is limited for our town library. (Not sure the liimit as we've yet to reach it) but for the bigger county there is no limit.

This year though our library is undergoing budget cuts...cutting hours specifically, but I am not sure if the holds will be affected.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#44 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM

No fee for holds in my library system, thank goodness. 12 yo dd requests at least 12 items a week. I try to impress on her that it's a lot of time and expense for the library so she should make sure she's going to read everything she gets. The library sends e-mails when things come in, and we have a week to pick them up before they send them back. Most things seem to come from libraries other than our own... We joined the "Friends" of the library, and I buy paperbacks from them frequently, and usually donate them back when I'm done.

I've not heard of charging for holds - it would run into lots of money for us!
#45 of 49 Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 AM

No charge here.
#46 of 49 Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Unfortunately, my city library is so poor, not only is there a $0.25 request fee on Adult books (you can reserved an unlimited amount of kids and teen books) and $30/yr non-resident fee (as in residents get a free card, but people from out of the city have to pay for their card. They also have a $5/month or $1/day option), their hours were slashed so they are only open afternoons and evenings now.
#47 of 49 Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 AM

Our library does not charge for requesting books. They do charge late fees for overdue books. I've actually never lived anywhere that didn't charge late fees. I have probably paid enough in late fees to add a new wing onto the library. I have a little problem with disorganization!
#48 of 49 Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our library system only charges you a fee for interlibrary loans. You can put a hold on as many books as you like from your own branch for no charge.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#49 of 49 Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
$30/yr non-resident fee (as in residents get a free card, but people from out of the city have to pay for their card. They also have a $5/month or $1/day option)
I don't think my library system offers non-resident library cards at all. If you're not a member, you can't get a card, period. My local library issues the card (and there's something like a $2 fee for a replacement card if it gets lost or damaged) but I can use that card for any library in the county. Closer libraries simply let me use my "X town library card" in "B town library" but another county library further away (where DDs used to have an appt once a week and I had 2 hours to kill) made me get a "non resident library card" that I had to show my "X town library card" to get. There wasn't any fee for that card, but there were some borrowing restrictions.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page