Does your library charge for requesting books? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At our library, you get the first request free, and then they charge you I think $.25 for each additional one (until the first one is filled, and then you get another free one). I find this highly irritating, as I often want to gather a few books, maybe 3-5, for a particular subject.

Is this normal for most library systems?
#2 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Nope, I had 35 books on hold last week and there was no charge, up until a certain date. There were 3 books that I didn't want to borrow and I had to take them to the desk and let the librarian know that I wasn't borrowing them. If I had left them on the shelf I would have been charged to keep them on hold after a certain time. Does that make sense?
#3 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM

The library where I used to live did this. It was also 25 cents.

The library where I am not does not do this.

I can understand why this would be annoying for you. But, having worked at a library I know why they do it. It takes a lot of time to gather those books and it is frustrating when people don't pick them up, like they didn't really mean it. So have the 25 cent fee makes you think a little before you request 20 cds and not pick them and do the same thing 2 weeks later (this happened all the time, my library did NOT charge for requests)

also, the library I worked at had a special educator library card that teachers and homeschooling families could have in addition to their regular library card that they could use to request books on a certain subject for a certain age group and the librarians would handpick books (up to 20) for them for FREE. I couldn't believe this service, I thought that was extremely generous.
#4 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM

We only get charged if we request books and then don't pick them up, which I think is a reasonable way to discourage frivolous requests.
#5 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM

my library doesn't charge....but get this!!!... i can put books on hold but when i go to pick them up, they expect me to go and find the books: i'm from atlanta - you know...where you put a book on hold and go to the library desk and pick it up. that's normal to me...so i thought? well...not here! i live in a very small town in SC & when you put books on hold, the librarians do NOT collect them at all. according to them...a book on "hold" simply means if someone else tries to check out, they can't. that's so stupid.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#6 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM

No.

Kathy
#7 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM

We're not charged but our library tax is high.

I worry every time I request a bunch of books that I'm just raising our taxes higher!

I can't imagine only being able to request one book at a time!
#8 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I just called, and they have nothing like an educator's card. And in fact, I found out that it's $.50 for each request! I think that's really high. I can totally see being charged for requests that aren't picked up, but really, isn't it supposed to be a free library?

I find it really frustrating when we want to do a project, and I research 4 or 5 books that we want to use, and they are all at different libraries, so I would have to either drive around picking them all up, or pay $2.50 to request them.
#9 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokea View Post
Nope, I had 35 books on hold last week and there was no charge, up until a certain date. There were 3 books that I didn't want to borrow and I had to take them to the desk and let the librarian know that I wasn't borrowing them. If I had left them on the shelf I would have been charged to keep them on hold after a certain time. Does that make sense?
Ditto with ours. The charge is $2/book that is not picked up by a certain date (usually 5 days). You can request as many books as you want and from anywhere in the city. And the annual adult fee is $18.
#10 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM

our library does this it only irritates me because it is not a "nominal" fee, it is .75 per item, some items up to 1.00 per item. although we are in wealthy county the branch closest to me is a very small branch and therefore most items are located in the main branch. But my question is there are some people in our community who might not be able to afford that to get books sent to the smaller branch. I actually brought this up with the librarian and was basically told that if they didnt want to pay the fee they could go get it at the main branch: My reasoning is the smaller branch is directly off a main bus route that is handicap accessible and therefore easier for say the elderly or those with out private transportation to get to, the main is a few blocks from a bus route. I often pay a few dollars to get homeschooling books sent to our branch and although I can afford it I feel bad for those who might not in my community.
#11 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
my library doesn't charge....but get this!!!... i can put books on hold but when i go to pick them up, they expect me to go and find the books: i'm from atlanta - you know...where you put a book on hold and go to the library desk and pick it up. that's normal to me...so i thought? well...not here! i live in a very small town in SC & when you put books on hold, the librarians do NOT collect them at all. according to them...a book on "hold" simply means if someone else tries to check out, they can't. that's so stupid.
Oh yeah, that's just stupid. what's the point of putting it on hold, then?:
The whole point for me is to walk in and pick them up quickly without searching all over the library.

Our library has a 'hold' shelf where you go and pick them up, all bundled together under your library card number. Then you take them to the desk and sign them out.
#12 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nope, the only things the library charges for here is overdue fees and fees to attend certain programs that take place at the library.

If you don't pick up your "held" books on time, they get returned to circulation. I wish I had the option to pay a fee and have them held an extra day!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#13 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Ours has late fees for items you have out past the due date, but we don't get charged for requesting items. It's a very user-friendly library system in our state. They really encourage people to use the resources -- it justifies any grants they get.
#14 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Nope, the only things the library charges for here is overdue fees and fees to attend certain programs that take place at the library.

If you don't pick up your "held" books on time, they get returned to circulation. I wish I had the option to pay a fee and have them held an extra day!
:

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#15 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM

no and that would make me stop using hte library. we have started reserving several books on a topic (this week is tigers) and its so easy to do it online and pick up the books instead of spending an hour looking for them (the children's section is really unorganized).

i walk in, get the books, and leave (sometimes..other times we play and look for mommy books)...but the idea is that i dont have to spend all that time looking for 5 books on tigers.
#16 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

Same here. I am really feeling thankful for my library right now.
#17 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 PM

We are charged for requests OUTSIDE the inter library loan program, so if I want something from Buffalo or NYC it's $5.

It is free from the local ILL (about 25 libraries across 3 counties) unless I don't pick it up (after a week) then I get charged $1. But if I don't need a book that I requested I can cancel it online and don't get charged the fee.

I can request up to ten at a time on a single card- so three of us have cards (which are free to get) and I often have 30 on reserve at a time.

We get fined for late vids, 1$ a day up to $5 and .10 cents a day for books up to $5.

Really our system rocks.
#18 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM

No fees here... for any kind of hold or ILL requests. Our late fees (which I recently found out about when the "you have books due this week" email did not arrive, ugh) is $.10/day for books and $1/day for videos. Unfortunately I had 30 books out that were 10 days late..... to say I was kicking myself would be an understatement

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#19 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokea View Post
Oh yeah, that's just stupid. what's the point of putting it on hold, then?:
The whole point for me is to walk in and pick them up quickly without searching all over the library.

Our library has a 'hold' shelf where you go and pick them up, all bundled together under your library card number. Then you take them to the desk and sign them out.
thank you! i like to think i'm a very easy going gal, but that really is just plain stupid to me too! i just buy books from amazon rather than try and find things at my library...it's so much less of a hassle!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#20 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Our suburban area library system is awesome.

I can go online and search and reserve books from any library in the system. Our local library will notify me when they are ready and I pick them up at the desk. There is no charge for any of this.

We pay our local library taxes. For people who live outside the taxed area, they have to pay an annual fee to have a card. The system also charges late fees, and DVDs cost one dollar for three days.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#21 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Wow, I had no idea libraries charged for that kind of stuff! Makes me very thankful for my library..... My library doens't charge for holds (even holds that materials outside of our library system), nor do they charge for extra events/programs. They do charge a fine for overdue materials, but it's a very small fee. Maybe that's part of the reason our taxes are so high, lol.

Sara Mama to DS (6) and DS (4)
#22 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 PM

Wow, my library rocks. I'm in a library consortium, so I can go online and pluck books from any of the libraries in a dozen nearby towns (good thing, since we just moved to a tiny little town with a tiny little library!). My library gathers all of my books for me and has them waiting at my local library for free. I have a week or so to pick them up before they get sent back home.

NO fees.

NO overdue fees for books.

I'm thinking perhaps I ought to make a donation to my library when I get my tax return this year, to show them some love for being so great.
#23 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahdoula View Post
We are charged for requests OUTSIDE the inter library loan program, so if I want something from Buffalo or NYC it's $5.

It is free from the local ILL (about 25 libraries across 3 counties) unless I don't pick it up (after a week) then I get charged $1. But if I don't need a book that I requested I can cancel it online and don't get charged the fee.

I can request up to ten at a time on a single card- so three of us have cards (which are free to get) and I often have 30 on reserve at a time.

We get fined for late vids, 1$ a day up to $5 and .10 cents a day for books up to $5.

Really our system rocks.
Our library charges for each ILL (all across the north of Ontario about 10 or 12 libraries) we get charged a dollar for each. I think it pays the postage.

Austin June 2006; Xander March 2008; Shay Nov 2009; 5 babies gone to heaven.
#24 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 AM

No fees for holds here! Thank goodness because I like to go to the smaller branch and it seems the main one has more of what I want but is much further away and you have to pay to park
#25 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 AM

I am hearing of more and more libraries doing this.

In some areas there is less funding, less staff, and more people requesting books on line and not picking them up. That $0.25 helps stops people that don't think before they request.

At our library it is free for interlibrary loan. If they go to another areas library there is fees, have no clue what they are.
#26 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 AM

I love my library. No fees to request a book, or if I forget to pick it up in time. I can request 25 at a time on each card (mine & kids').
#27 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 AM

Until last July, my library charged $1.00 for every book requested. Now it's free.

coolshine.gif

#28 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 AM

Wow, I'm feeling really happy with our libraries now! I live in Tacoma so can use the Tacoma library system...no fees for holds, they do put the books back after 10 days I believe.

They now have a reciprocal agreement with the county, so I can use their system too (though I don't think I can do a hold through Tacoma library for Pierce county...I have to use my old, now reactivated, card to go get them there. And after youv'e had a King county (Seattle area) card you can keep it, even after you move away, so I can use their HUGE system too, no fees for holds as well.
#29 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 AM

I am loving my library right now. No fees for requesting or for forgetting to pick up my requests. if I can't get to the library in time to pick up as long as I call and tell them when I can pick it up they will hold the books.

I did just pay $15 in late fees though. My own fault but still.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#30 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM

No charges for requesting books at our small town library.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page