Miquon vs. Singapore Math - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for something *more* for dd1 (5) for math. She loves manipulatives (which I have) and worksheets (which I'm searching for). We've been through most online print outs, dollar store workbooks, etc. so now I'm researching.

I think I've narrowed it down to Singapore math or Miquon.

Anyone use either of these and want to give me the list of things you love?

I found some good deals on the Singapore Ks 2 math set and the Miquon orange book w/Annotations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 PM

:

Leaning towards miquon here. But haven't tried either.

-Angela
Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 PM

We're using Singapore Earlybird and LOVING it. DD1 loves the books- she'd do them all day if I let her. She's also grasping math and the concepts really well.
They have instructions on the bottoms of the pages for more/ supplemental activities. I've posted a ton of pics of the pages on my homeschool blog (in my sig) if you'd like to see what the pages look like.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks!

Now here's something that I'm noticing and am confused about: What's the difference btw. the Singapore textbooks and the activity books? I found a good deal on the text books - are they still the write-in kind, yk like workbooks?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Eh, I just went ahead and ordered both. It's not like I won't use them right?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM

I bought Miquon last year after a friend highly recommended it. I'm a former elem. teacher and I can't say that I really love it. I thought it had a real emphasis on manipulatives, but really, at this point, it is only using the wooden rods.

I bought most of the books at once last year but I'm actually thinking of switching. Ds does enjoy the book but I don't really think he is getting as much from it as he could with a different program.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Eh, I just went ahead and ordered both. It's not like I won't use them right?
Well, I was going to recommend both.

We started with Miquon and did an overlap / segué thing into Singapore. The two worked very well together.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 AM

I think that both is the way to go, as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM

I looked at / we partially did the placement test for the Singapore 1st grade materials (sort of an exit for 1st grade) and I was blown away by how advanced 1st grade math has gotten. This was confirmed to be going on in the public schools as well in another forum I'm on. So I ordered both kindy books.

But when we were able to look at the Earlybird A books, I realized we would have to send them back nad start with B, as A is too easy.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I think K is the Early Bird one right? I'm so confused. Well, either way, it was pretty inexpensive (I could've spent that much on the same old workbooks from Dollar General or Walgreens kwim?). If it's really too easy I'll look at the grade 1 and save this one for dd2 when she's ready.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM

From what I've read previously on MDC, there are a lot of people that combine Singapore and Miquon.

This year we started HS'ing and I just ordered Singapore for my ds. And while he likes Singapore and I think it's a very good math program, I think there is something missing that Miquon would give him -- primarily a visual of the cuisenaire rods. Not that you couldn't do manipulatives well with Singapore, but the cuisenaire method is pretty consistent with Miquon. So, we're going to backtrack a bit into Miquon (which covers quite a bit of material early on -- such as fractions and geometry,) overlap with Singapore a bit, and then move on with Singapore when the Miquon runs out if all seems good to go.

If I had to do it all over again, I might have just started with Miquon and then moved into Singapore, like moominmama did. A lot of the choice with math seems to be heavily based on learning style, which I goofed a bit on with my ds. Have you considered how your dd learns best?

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I think K is the Early Bird one right? I'm so confused. Well, either way, it was pretty inexpensive (I could've spent that much on the same old workbooks from Dollar General or Walgreens kwim?). If it's really too easy I'll look at the grade 1 and save this one for dd2 when she's ready.
I think that if your child is willing it's worth going through them, even if they are easy. It introduces Singapore's method and allows you time to get everyone's groove.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
From what I've read previously on MDC, there are a lot of people that combine Singapore and Miquon.

This year we started HS'ing and I just ordered Singapore for my ds. And while he likes Singapore and I think it's a very good math program, I think there is something missing that Miquon would give him -- primarily a visual of the cuisenaire rods. Not that you couldn't do manipulatives well with Singapore, but the cuisenaire method is pretty consistent with Miquon. So, we're going to backtrack a bit into Miquon (which covers quite a bit of material early on -- such as fractions and geometry,) overlap with Singapore a bit, and then move on with Singapore when the Miquon runs out if all seems good to go.

If I had to do it all over again, I might have just started with Miquon and then moved into Singapore, like moominmama did. A lot of the choice with math seems to be heavily based on learning style, which I goofed a bit on with my ds. Have you considered how your dd learns best?
What kind of learning style does Miquon seem to cater towards? We use Singapore, but ds#1 is a visual-spatial learner, and so I usually just write some math problems on the board and we solve them together. Is Miquon better suited to more visual kiddos rather than auditory learners? (I know Math-U-See is used with visual-spatial kids, but we do not want to spend that much money on a full program. I like Singapore because of the relative inexpensive-ness of it, and Miquon seems equally inexpensive.)

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
What kind of learning style does Miquon seem to cater towards? We use Singapore, but ds#1 is a visual-spatial learner, and so I usually just write some math problems on the board and we solve them together. Is Miquon better suited to more visual kiddos rather than auditory learners? (I know Math-U-See is used with visual-spatial kids, but we do not want to spend that much money on a full program. I like Singapore because of the relative inexpensive-ness of it, and Miquon seems equally inexpensive.)
Good questions. I want to preface my response that I have not yet received the Miquon curriculum (should be here any day now,) so I'm going on what I have researched. While I don't think that Miquon caters specifically towards visual spatial learners (my ds is a strong VSL,) I do think that the use of the cuisenaire rods in most of the work lends itself towards a consistent visual image that I am hoping will lead to better visual memory of the math concepts and less rote memorization without full understanding. I'm know there are other math programs that heavily base instruction on a specific manipulative, such as Right Start Math uses an abacas. If your ds is doing well with Singapore, I definitely wouldn't fix what isn't broken! You can definitely achieve full understanding without needing or depending on manipulatives. As I said before, I think Singapore is a great program, but my ds seemed to need some supplementation.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 AM

We chose both also. We've used them together for a year and a half now. I really feel they compliment each other well and fill in for each other's weaknesses. There is a chart out there on someone's website that I printed off a while ago that synchronizes the two programs well. Recently we've also started playing with the Mathematics Enhancement Programme from the UK which is also a divergent thinking type math program and as far as the price tag, it can't be beat. It's available for free download in .pdf format and you just print it yourself as you go. There's even a Yahoo group to help parents facilitate using it at home. My eldest is really into math right now so hence the 3 different programs to fill up a year worth of math.

Ok- I dug up the links.
Here's the chart for synching Miquon and Singapore together through 4A:
http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm

And here's MEP:
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
Good questions. I want to preface my response that I have not yet received the Miquon curriculum (should be here any day now,) so I'm going on what I have researched. While I don't think that Miquon caters specifically towards visual spatial learners (my ds is a strong VSL,) I do think that the use of the cuisenaire rods in most of the work lends itself towards a consistent visual image that I am hoping will lead to better visual memory of the math concepts and less rote memorization without full understanding. I'm know there are other math programs that heavily base instruction on a specific manipulative, such as Right Start Math uses an abacas. If your ds is doing well with Singapore, I definitely wouldn't fix what isn't broken! You can definitely achieve full understanding without needing or depending on manipulatives. As I said before, I think Singapore is a great program, but my ds seemed to need some supplementation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore View Post
We chose both also. We've used them together for a year and a half now. I really feel they compliment each other well and fill in for each other's weaknesses. There is a chart out there on someone's website that I printed off a while ago that synchronizes the two programs well. Recently we've also started playing with the Mathematics Enhancement Programme from the UK which is also a divergent thinking type math program and as far as the price tag, it can't be beat. It's available for free download in .pdf format and you just print it yourself as you go. There's even a Yahoo group to help parents facilitate using it at home. My eldest is really into math right now so hence the 3 different programs to fill up a year worth of math.

Ok- I dug up the links.
Here's the chart for synching Miquon and Singapore together through 4A:
http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm

And here's MEP:
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm
Thank you both for your responses! Ds is doing alright with Singapore, but really only because I write the problems on the chalkboard and we work through them together. He can solve problems in his head, but his computation is still very shaky, much like a VSL. He has committed very few facts to memory. But, he loves math and loves solving things. I think I will order the Miquon books (probably the 1st grade ones and the 2nd grade ones ... if the Orange book is too easy for him, it won't be but a year at most before my middle son is ready for it), and see how he does with them.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Good stuff here ! Thanks everyone! As for the question about how my dd learns. . . she is a language oriented learner mostly but also shows signs of being a visual spatial girl. My second dd (almost 4) is very much a kinetic learner so both of these programs will be put to good use in this house, I'm sure.

1stTimeMummy - thanks for those links! I just bookmarked them.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
I looked at / we partially did the placement test for the Singapore 1st grade materials (sort of an exit for 1st grade) and I was blown away by how advanced 1st grade math has gotten. .
I just did this for the 2A level.. for my oldest who is in the second half of public school second grade. He is a bright boy but could not do 1/4 of the test.. I'm very unhappy with his education and this just makes my mind more firm in my decision to homeschool him..
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM

BTW, when ordering Miquon, do you need the Annotated Teacher/Parent Guide? Or do the workbooks speak for themselves?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Do you all use both the text books & workbooks for Singapore and is the home instructors guide necessary? (I'm looking at starting this at Primary 1a with ds1 who is nearly 7yrs)
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
BTW, when ordering Miquon, do you need the Annotated Teacher/Parent Guide? Or do the workbooks speak for themselves?
I ordered the guide but I'm not certain I'll need it. I'll lyk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritMama View Post
Do you all use both the text books & workbooks for Singapore and is the home instructors guide necessary? (I'm looking at starting this at Primary 1a with ds1 who is nearly 7yrs)
I am wondering about this too. Hope someone else chimes in!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I ordered the guide but I'm not certain I'll need it. I'll lyk.

I am wondering about this too. Hope someone else chimes in!
Thank you.
Quote:
I bought the textbooks, workbooks, and home instructor guide for 1A/1B, but found everything but the workbooks unnecessary. For 2A/2B, I only ordered the workbooks, and have been fine. I'm not sure what the upper grades would be like, but then again, it might also depend on your comfort level being able to explain the various concepts (for instance, in upper grades, I might be apt to buy the home instructor's guide to give a little background on ways to explain the concepts, but I'm not sure).

Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
We just ordered Miquon to supplement Singapore and I haven't received the materials. I did order the Annotated Guide.

Quote:
We have the texts as well as the workbooks and the home instructor guides. Here's how I see the differences in all the books. The Instructor guide has details on how to present materials (what manipulatives to use and how to make some of them, and ideas for games,) reproducible sheets for some manipulatives. The text books are very visual and geared for the student. We use it to present that material, and then ds can write and practice in the workbook. The only books that we ordered that we haven't used very much are the Intensive Practice workbooks. I think we will use these more down the road because there are a lot of "word" problems and "challenge" problems and the regular workbooks don't have a lot of practice problems compared to some curricula. It's not as pretty visually (printed in black and white) but I think this book would be good for extra practice as well as review, or for a child who likes or needs to practice, and to begin to move the child into examining "story" problems.
Hope this helps.

User Tag List