Entering school after homeschooling. How is grade placement determined? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What happens when a child enters school, public or private, after homeschooling? Is there some sort of evaluation process to determine grade placement? do they base it on age?

x-posted in learning at school
#2 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Age, almost all the time. Unless for some reason the parent / student express concern about age-based placement and request something different. Then sometimes the school will do some assessments, sometimes they'll just place based on age, or sometimes (as in my eldest dd's case last fall) they'll just go with whatever the student wants.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I homeschool my children according to grade levels. If they get ahead or stay behind a bit then that's not a biggie, but I try to keep them on grade level according to what the schools would do. My oldest child had to go to school for a couple of years after having been homeschooled since the beginning. He started at the grade level he would be in according to his age but ofcourse he was passed the tests with flying colors and was actually a couple years ahead as far as grade level goes. But the school started him at his grade level and I would have preferred that for social reasons anyway.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#4 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
What happens when a child enters school, public or private, after homeschooling? Is there some sort of evaluation process to determine grade placement? do they base it on age?

x-posted in learning at school
Check your local laws, or contact a local hsing group. It varies from place to place.

Our state's policy is that, "When a child returns to school following a period of homeschooling, the local board of education treats the child as any other new or returning child (i.e. assessed as to the acceptance of credits and the appropriate grade level for purposes of placement)." It goes on to say that this assessment could include standardized testing that the ps uses for it's enrolled children.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#5 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Don't know about the ps here. Most private schools here test every student that enters, whether from another school or homeschool. I don't know that they require the student be at grade level with every single subject, but they do want to know where the student is academically.

Honestly I think that is a good policy for every school. Maybe not multiple choice testing, but the teacher spending some focused time with each student and finding out where they are.
#6 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM

I am a teacher in a public school and I know for a fact we place by age. I am not sure about private schools, I would assume it depends on the school.

I do have a friend in another state that intended to place her child in first grade, after homeschooling for kindergarten, and she did not pass their requirements for first grade based on the fact that she couldn't count backwards from 10. So they put her kindergarten. This may be because she was so young to begin with.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Our school places by age, but students can be tested to be in the 'advanced learner program'.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 PM

My kids were planning on going to public school this year (our plans changed and we still hs) but when I went to enroll them they placed them by age.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#9 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 PM

My best friend homeschooled 3/4 of her kids until the eldest was entering 7th grade. All three of them were placed via age.. although they were a bit ahead of the curve. The youngest was just Pre-K age...so she just entered Pre-K. This was a private school. All of her kids have always been ahead of the game in English and Art... but more on grade-level for math and science. I think it worked well for them, especially from a social aspect.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#10 of 10 Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

It depends on the school. Our local ps puts them in by age regardless of how they test. However, we have had a different experience with a local charter. They are open to younger advanced kids. If they are ready academically, they welcome them with open arms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page