Christopherus or Oak Meadow or what?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Waldorf homeschoolers,

Can you tell me which curric you'd prefer? I already have the Wynstone press books, the CD of seasonal songs for our circle time, A Child's Seasonal Treasury, and Family, Festivals, and Food. I've been pulling our Kindy circle/stories, movement, crafts, from these resources.

But now ds is interested in learning how to read, and is asking a lot of questions about math and is starting to add up numbers in his head. He's also been asking me how to write leters and numbers.

I'm looking for a good waldorf 1st grade curriculum and am leaning towards Christopherus, but haven't purchased it yet.

Any thoughts from those experienced with Christopherus would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
#2 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM

Christopherus is lovely! I've got the kindergarten book and the 1st Grade curriculum. I have some of the second grade resources too. I really like it, but I've never used Oak Meadow so I can't compare them. I've heard that Oak Meadow is only "Waldorf-inspired". The Christopherous curriculum is very thorough and everything is laid out for you. I think I needed something like that in my 1st year when I felt kind of nervous and unsure.

My dd is doing second grade now, and I looked at the Christopherus 2nd grade curriculum, but I just didn't have the money. I found a great (and very cheap!) little downloadable curriculum from a site called A Little Garden Flower. Its not like Christopherus where everything is set out for you in great detail day by day. It gives you a plan for the year, and a more detailed month to month planner, but it doesn't give you the actual work like Christopherus does. But I like that better! I used some books from the library for the fables block and I bought the Christopherus Saints and Heros book for the other LA block. If you don't mind gathering some of your own resources then A Little Garden Flower is a great option.
#3 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, Sarah.

I don't mind pulling my own resources, which is what I've done for Kindy, but I would love to know:

1. Do the guides (A little garden Flower) teach you how to present the letters and numbers in a story?

2. Do you feel that you need Christopherus as well to provide a complete curriculum for your child?

Thanks for your help!
#4 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 PM

I used Christopherus kind and 1st, but after that, I felt pretty able to build our curriculum from resources, one of which is still a Christopherus material.

My personal favorites: Christopherus curriculum overview. Excellent and helpful if you're interested in striking out on your own.

Christopherus first Grade- I did use it exclusively for DS, but I'm happier using a little extra from...

Paths Of Discovery- overviews by grade, very helpful, explanations for curriculum choices (relatively inexpensive)

Marsha Johnson's site has really nice, brief grade by grade overviews (FREE!) as well.

I LIKE making my own curriculum. I am creating two curricula now for a 3rd and 1st grader and it's great to reflect and bring in stuff that I left out with DS.
#5 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 PM

I searched "new posts" and this thread popped up right above "Weird Baby Names." And for a second, I thought... Wow, those are some weird names.
#6 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM

If you go to the Waldorf Homeschooling Yahoo Group, there are tons of resources in the files for free.

I have Christopherus Kindy... and the forum drawing and movement books. I really love them.

You should also check out Live Oak, as I've heard wonderful things about it as well.

I've always lurked on Oak Meadow's site... but have never bought it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#7 of 7 Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmama View Post
Thanks for the help, Sarah.

I don't mind pulling my own resources, which is what I've done for Kindy, but I would love to know:

1. Do the guides (A little garden Flower) teach you how to present the letters and numbers in a story?
I'm not sure. I didn't buy the 1st grade one. I'm sure you can view some sample pages online. The author is very helpful too, so I'm sure she'd be able to tell you if you emailed her.

Quote:
2. Do you feel that you need Christopherus as well to provide a complete curriculum for your child?

Thanks for your help
No, not at all. For 2nd grade I've just used some of the Christopherus resources. But I just bought them because they were handy and I knew I'd like them. I could have pulled something together from other books and the library though. The Christopherus curriculum overview is really good. It tells you everything that is studied in each year, so if you felt confident you could easily put something together without buying a full year curriculum.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page