I want a curriculum that tells me what to do each day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, can you tell this is my first year homeschooling? I've gone through trying out Waldorf, unschooling, and now I'm looking at a relaxed approach to Classical schooling--if that makes any sense. I like what I see for the most part in Sonlight's packages, as far as the books go.

I'll be having baby #3 in August, and want to still start back slowly with lessons in the fall--maybe we'll wait until October, I'm not sure. But at any rate, I know I am already getting burnt out planning everything all the time, making sure I didn't forget something, trying to get it all organized.

I just want it all there in front of me, telling me what to do and say when I am sleep deprived, day by day. I don't want to have to think too much And it would be nice if at least some of it could be done by DS independently when I need to attend to the baby and the toddler.

What curriculum fits this description?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If you are Christian, you may want to look into ABeka, for phonic and math. It is very regimented and the tests are given in a regular rhythm.

MacMillan, the plaid series, is a phonic program that is good also.

I used both for homeschooling and when I was a teacher.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel exactly the same way. We did a combo of a little of everything this year, OM and mostly Waldorf inspired. But I've also discovered the Sonlight curriculum and I think it will fit us perfectly. I'm very excited to use it next year. I wanted something structured, but not completely workbook based. I think this will work well for us.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#4 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
Okay, can you tell this is my first year homeschooling? I've gone through trying out Waldorf, unschooling, and now I'm looking at a relaxed approach to Classical schooling--if that makes any sense. I like what I see for the most part in Sonlight's packages, as far as the books go.

I'll be having baby #3 in August, and want to still start back slowly with lessons in the fall--maybe we'll wait until October, I'm not sure. But at any rate, I know I am already getting burnt out planning everything all the time, making sure I didn't forget something, trying to get it all organized.

I just want it all there in front of me, telling me what to do and say when I am sleep deprived, day by day. I don't want to have to think too much And it would be nice if at least some of it could be done by DS independently when I need to attend to the baby and the toddler.

What curriculum fits this description?
We just got History Odyssey , well that's just history but I really like the weekly plan for it. It's laid out well, there is a good resource list and enough room to tweak it up or down to the child's level/interest.

My son wanted these smilies here
#5 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 AM

Sonlight.
It is Christian, but you can easily remove the Christian stuff out if you are not interested.
I have been drooling over Sonlight for ages, but we just can't afford it, and we are not in the US to take advantage of their payment plan...
#6 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 AM

Sonlight. You can break it up also and order only what you need for each "section". I forget how to do that, but you can email them or call them. They are extremely helpful and go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied with your answer.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#7 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM

I am currently using Calvert and totally loving it. I like that they give you all the materials, a schedule to use, and lesson plans with all the books I need. I can adapt the schedule for our family and pick and choose lessons if I need or want. It is very simple, all laid out, and works great for our family. However, it is not a christian curriculum with christian focused themes. . .but I've noticed many families on the yahoo board are christian and adapt the lessons to meet their needs.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#8 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Winterpromise! We have used it for a few years now and really love it.

Mama Gina

flower.gif hippie.gif knit.gifhomeschool.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif
Noah 14bikenew.gif, Emma 12 flowerkitty.gif, and Andrew 8 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#9 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM

personally, i think www.amblesideonline.org woulde be best. or maybe www.tanglewoodeducation.com

both are free, classical, and tell you what to do each week. you could be very relaxed with it, but still have structure. sonlight is good too, but it's expensive for sure, & it would stink if it was a bad fit, yk? next year i am using FIAR and sonlight combined. a good mixture of picture books, chapter books, and hands-on notebooking. i plan to write my own 36 week schedule though. good luck!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#10 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Are we twins? I have a 6 year old, a 2 year old and baby #3 is due in August! I am also looking into Sonlight, although after reading through this thread I'm going to check out winterpromise, tanglewood, and ambleside. Money is a huge factor for me and sonlight is expensive. I would need to taylor it because we are not Christian, I don't mind learning about the Bible, but I definitely want the spiritual teachings to be from our own faith.

Is your 6 year old is school and you'll take him out or have you just been waiting to start?

We waited a year for my daughter and put her in kindergarten 2.5 days a week and I hate it. I absolutely hate it--and I don't think she's much more keen on it. She doesn't really have any friends there--all her friends are my own friend's kids, and that was the big reason for putting her in. If I could summon up the courage I would take her out right now. At the very least, it'll be at the end of this school year.

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#11 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Christian Light Education
http://www.clp.org

Nicely laid out, easy to follow, good teacher support.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#12 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For this year with my 6 y o I wanted something that told me what to do. I could go by it for each week or I could adjust as needed. But it comes with charts for me to hang on the wall or refer to throughout each quarter. I like it, although we've swayed a little from it at this point in the year. I bought her pre-packaged curriculum at www.homeschoolsupercenter.com

They are very reasonable on prices and will send you a whole pre-packaged curriclum according to grade level. They have most of the popular curriculum names that are out there, both christian and non.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#13 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It's funny, those were all the same curriculum's swirling around in my mind, but I didn't know if anyone here was using and enjoying them. Now I know it's not a waste of time to look into them further.

I am a Christian by the way, so I am fine with some religious teaching mixed in. I just don't want it to be drilled into every single detail of everything--that annoys me.

Sarah/Momatoaday--wow! we are twins! We actually have been homeschooling all this past year (using Kindergarten curriculum). It's been great for all of us. I'm looking forward to next year, and so far reality hasn't set in enough to make me too afraid of how to deal with 2 younger ones next year. I figure the baby will sleep alot, and my 2 year old likes to play with her "school supplies" and "do school" along side us. Crossing my fingers it all works out okay!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#14 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM

never mind - found it
#15 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 PM

I like what I've seen of Moving Beyond the Page.
#16 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Have you looked into K-12? I started with DS this year and wanted (needed) a very structured curriculum planned out for me along with books and supplements. The k-12 curriculum is available free of charge in certain states because the states pay for it (they are usually virtual academies) however it is available to buy as well. It is a secular curriculum which I was put off at first. I had wanted a christian curriculum however I wasnt able to find one that either met our beliefs or was TOO religous. I wanted to find a nice medium and ending up going with k-12 and supplemented with christian workbooks and bible story books as well.

the way ours is set up I log into the computer each day or whenever (I can print out our schedule) and it literally tells me all the things we will be doing, I can check by day,week,month. it also has a button for "materials" and it tells you all the books and things you will need that day. I love this because usually the night before I am able to pull all our work out and have it ready for the next day, or if we have appts or such I can just throw it in a backpack and know we have our work set for the day. The books and materials sent were great quality, I was actually suprised because I thought for it being *free* (my state paid for it) that it was going to be perhaps cheaply or sparse. Quite the opposite. The workbooks are high quality well known names like sadler, handwriting with out tears, and the books (for reading) were well known childrens authors and titles. Because we are part of a state virtual academy it also allows us the opportunity for outings/meet ups with others enrolled. i know other memebers here on MDC have mention that their academies are similar. It allows the opportunity to take *field trips* with student pricing or free. Just another option, oh course if your state offers it, what they offer in terms of outings/support will vary.
#17 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 PM

This may sound silly, but I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble the other day called Learn at Home - they have one for each grade. It's secular, and laid out for you not only week by week, but day by day. It's not Classical or anything, but for someone looking for a day by day guide, I thought it looked pretty good. And you can't beat the price.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...rn+at+home+gra
#18 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM

i use Calvert pre k with a lot of waldorf / unschool stuff thrown in and i really like it for the day by day aspect.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#19 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM

If you don't mind going piecemeal for different subject areas rather than a complete boxed curriculum (which I recommend, especially if you are planning to be 'relaxed') then a couple I would suggest would be RightStart for math, and NOEO for science.

RightStart is a fantastic math program and the lessons are completely scripted. At the younger ages, you are definitely involved, it's not completely independent work. But the lessons don't take very long, they're fun (not based on repetitive worksheets) and you get to play GAMES! As kids get older they gradually do more independent work, although the lessons are still scripted until middle school.

NOEO is not "scripted" like that, it is more independent, but it's still completely structured and laid out for you. Basically, it just uses Usborne science books and gives you a schedule of study. It's Charlotte Mason-based, in that rather than filling out question-and-answer worksheets, kids narrate back what they read about in that day's lesson. For younger kids, it's more oral narration and parents reading to them depending on their independent reading ability. As they get older, they do more written summaries instead. They can also DRAW their summaries, which is great for my son who hates writing but loves drawing!

Oh, and NOEO is Christian but they use secular materials. They believe that you should learn science based on the facts and work in your theology however you see fit, rather than trying to force it into everything. If your faith is inherent in everything you do, it doesn't HAVE to be written out in ALL your learning materials as well, KWIM? So you can read about the oceans and the tides and maybe say "wow, isn't that cool what God did with that?" but you don't have to if that's not what your own particular approach would be. We like that a lot.

Let's see... Other suggestions. Easy Grammar is very easy to teach. Not completely scripted, but discrete daily lessons with very details teachers' guides to help you out. Not sure if it starts at K/1 or not until later...

Oh, "Reasons for" is another good Christian series. It's a bit more heavy-handed, I found myself actually editing a few of the stories that I personally didn't agree with... but that's a YMMV thing. We've used "Reason for Spelling" and "Reason for Handwriting". Each week centres around a bible verse, with a story to read aloud that teaches the message of that verse, and spelling words centered around it (for the most part). The handwriting has them practice copying a few words from the verse each day, and they do a fancy copy of the whole verse on special notepaper at the end of the week. The goal is to have it memorized too, though we didn't always do that.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#20 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
If you don't mind going piecemeal for different subject areas rather than a complete boxed curriculum (which I recommend, especially if you are planning to be 'relaxed') then a couple I would suggest would be RightStart for math, and NOEO for science.
Since somebody mentioned choosing a package per subject, I just wanted to say that that's what I do.
On the one hand it would be nice to have a complete schedule made by someone else, but on the other hand, I doubt that there would be a box that would make us 100% happy, 100% of the time...
I can even see how trying to follow Sonlight's plan (which is my favourite of all the packages I have seen) could become too much for us after a while.

So we have a package for Math, one for Science, one for English... and I divide what to do through the week.

Singapore for Math and Science
Galore Park for English (and soon also for Geography, History and Latin - it is a British curriculum)
Rosetta Stone for foreign languages

... and I am looking for Waldorf plans for my 2 youngest, as well as art for everyone.
#21 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM

Calvert was the first thing that came to my mind. You can check ebay for a cheaper version. Calvert also has payment plans. They are pricey but complete. I liked it better than Sonlight but I'm not sure why??
Rebecca
#22 of 24 Old 01-26-2009, 08:57 PM

Calvert is good and so is Sonlight. I prefer Sonlight over Calvert for the simple fact that I found Calvert to have certain skills or topics intertwined through a few subjects. This isn't necessarily bad unless your child is having a tough time with a certain concept. I makes it pretty hard to move along with the other subjects until this concept is mastered. Sonlight is set up so that you can easily move along as fast or slow as you want/need to in any subject without being hindered in others.
#23 of 24 Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't have time to read all the replies so this may be repeats.

Here's what I use and it works great for a non-planning person.

RightStart math...scripted

First Language Lessons...scripted

Writing With Ease...scripted

History Odyssey (I use audio cds for the Story of the World parts)

NOEO science

Explode the Code workbooks make good independent work

D'Nealian writing workbooks

good luck with your baby. take time after the baby is born to just enjoy the baby without guilt.
#24 of 24 Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM

I'm thinking I need something pretty structure this next year to start with as well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page