Anyone up to adopting a newbie for next year? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-26-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could really use some help with homeschooling my Kindergartner (age 5) and 2nd grader (age 7). My DD (7) is currently in public school in CA for first grade and struggling really badly to the point of having to use the learning lab and possibly being help back. I hate the public school system here and can't wait to hs both my girls next year. My DD (7) is very much a kinesthetic (hands-on) learner and that doesn't work in public school here. They want them to just sit at a desk and write site words, do flash cards, and worksheet after worksheet.

For someone out there that has been hs for a long time and would like to help someone get started, please let me know. I'm needing help from notifying the school, choosing a curriculum, to keeping all records needed. We are a christian family and would love to have this included in our schooling. I would like a mixture of schooling styles to make this as fun as possible.

Hope someone out there is interested in help out this desperate mom.
#2 of 4 Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM

I'm not an expert on homeschooling and I don't live in CA so I'm not sure I can help much but when I read your post, I thought of Sonlight. We don't use it but I have their catalog and use it for book suggestions. The reason I thought if it is because your kids are close in age so you could do them both with one core, it is literature based so your dd could be coloring or jumping on a trampoline or whatever while you read to her, and you can pick what you want to supplement it with - a manipulative based math program as opposed to one that is workbook heavy, etc. Also, it is Christian based but I've never looked into that aspect of it to give more details. The website is www.sonlight.com. Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 01-26-2009, 04:00 PM

i agree with mackymama's recommendation. i can't adopt you because it would be like the blind leading the blind, lol. but my kids will be in grades 2nd and k next year too. i plan to use a combo of FIAR and Sonlight, that way i can teach their core subjects together. it will be much easier that way! i plan to keep math and LA separate though. have fun!!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#4 of 4 Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilys_mom1 View Post
I'm needing help from notifying the school, choosing a curriculum, to keeping all records needed.
Piece o' cake! Notifying the school district and setting up your records is very simple. Here's a link to a page prepared by lawyers who are California homeschoolers on how to set up your private school: Private school option. It looks as first glance like a lot, but it's actually not much of anything at all. You might want to just print it out and read through it leisurely in your spare time in a comfy place. Then go back to click on the links later. One of the links, for instance, goes to a sample of the sort of simple letter you can send in to the school when the time comes to request that the student's records be sent to the new school (your own private school), and submitting that letter close their file on your child. As for records, the main record you'll need, although it's extremely unlikely that anyone will every ask to see it, is a record of absences - but you'll find the few simple records required listed in the section that link above goes to.

So that leaves you with the choosing of a curriculum for a very young child, and that, too, is quite simple. My own thought would be to not buy a whole curriculum but to make a simple list of things you'd like to cover and choose from among the many good resources that specialize in various subjects.

I really don't think you should look to any one person for advice - there's lots of varied opinion from all angles available in this forum, and you could miss some good stuff by following only one person's lead. And it really, really isn't as daunting as it may seem to you right now!

Here's a thread on tips for homeschooling without a curriculum.

Here's another good one to check out: If you use a curriculum, which one? If you don't, why not?

Another good one: Could you homeschool for free?

And another:
Can anyone recommend a curriculum?

And this post has links to some "getting started" suggestions, articles, etc.

Above all, have fun! And allow time for decompression/deschooling even after the summer vacation, because that's when it really matters. Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page