Writing numbers and letters bottom to top rather than top to bottom - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your response: "SPEAK English! Or I'll take your toys/cookies/milk shakes/Big Macs away as punishment until you learn the Queen's English."

That should sort 'im. ;) 

#32 of 34 Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Playing around with feather quills, I noticed there is a distinct need to start from the top, because you pull the quill down the paper instead of pushing it up.  I'm wondering if this is where the "top-down" notion got its start.  If ever you start pushing the quill, the split at the end separates and you get two lines instead of one and lose a lot of your ink in one broad stroke.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#33 of 34 Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Now I'm getting all psyched up for a project for a rainy day...DS1 would LOVE this!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#34 of 34 Old 04-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

In addition, when you look at script written with quills, letters like "p" and "s" didn't connect on the bottom.  If you try making them connect like the modern letters, the tip of the quill resists and splits.  Of course, this is coming *entirely* from my brief experience with quills, but I did notice when I used calligraphy-type pens, you still did not form the letters in one continuous motion, like the script one uses with a ball point.  There is lifting and repositioning constantly, though you are not as limited in your motion as you are with feathers. It's funny to think how technology quietly changes how we do some things, and leaves other archaic actions in place long after they are no longer necessary.

Both my girls start from the bottom, though as their fluency changes, so does how they form their letters, but I wouldn't say it's all top-down either.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page