Learning to read? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: At what age did your HS child(ren) learn to read?
prior to age 4 19 100.00%
age 4 20 100.00%
age 5 27 100.00%
age 6 20 100.00%
age 7+ 32 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age did your HS child(ren) learn to read? Just trying to get an idea here to see if my DS's progress is in line with others. He's almost 6, in K, and is beginning to read phonetically after being able to sight read for almost a year. He doesn't have much interest in reading, although he loves being read to. My oldest DS taught himself to read at age 3, so no comparisons there !

TIA!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#2 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM

One started reading picture books at 5 and was reading (and comprehending) anything and everything at 6.

One read fluently (and with comprehension) at 11. The first book he read was Dragon Rider. (He was reading words and bits of info prior to that, but not whole books, or even whole pages or paragraphs.)

My 8 yr old reads for information and loves being read to, but isn't interested in sitting down to read a whole book on his own yet. I don't know that he'd be considered "on grade level." Probably not. :

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM

my dd was 6 in grade K too and exactly as you described. she's 7 in grade 1 now & reading well. my ds will be 5 in march & i suspect he'll learn to read at age 6 as well.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#4 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Honestly, I have no idea what people mean anymore when they say their dc is reading, or reading well. Does "reading" mean reading at grade level? Does "reading" mean decoding fluently or actually comprehending? And, reading what fluently? I know second graders who will spend hours reading Harry Potter, but they are not comprehending a good portion of what they read. I know other 7,8 and 9 year olds who are reading second grade readers but have fantastic literacy. The real question is not when your child begins reading, but rather what kind of reader they eventually become.

This has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Real literacy is such a host of skills and there is rarely if ever any single point where that "begins."
#5 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR View Post
Honestly, I have no idea what people mean anymore when they say their dc is reading, or reading well. Does "reading" mean reading at grade level? Does "reading" mean decoding fluently or actually comprehending? And, reading what fluently?
I was about to post this! I don't know what the definition of reading is, because there seem to be many. Some people consider sounding out words to be reading. Others consider reading to be when the child can independently read alone and comprehend the text (and not a Bob book). Of course, if the child reads alone independently, is it reading if the book is a picture book or should it be a chapter book? I can't answer the poll with a definition.
#6 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 PM

my dd started reading by sounding out every.single.word. to me, this was the "learning to read" stage. once she was actually reading the words though (even in simple bob books or dick & jane books), well...i considered this reading. she is only in first grade & still reads simple books for a 1st or 2nd grader, but imho she is reading very well. she can read sentences, understand the story, and paraphrase it for you. i consider that reading well....i don't think kids have to be above grade level or devouring chapter books to be considered reading well....so that's my definition when responding. i'm super happy for her her.

#7 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 PM

My oldest taught herself at four, and is reading at high school level now... My youngest at six is just beginning to sound out CVC words. He has no interest in it, but wants me to read to him for hours.

I think kids have their own timetables with reading.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
my dd started reading by sounding out every.single.word. to me, this was the "learning to read" stage. once she was actually reading the words though (even in simple bob books or dick & jane books), well...i considered this reading. she is only in first grade & still reads simple books for a 1st or 2nd grader, but imho she is reading very well. she can read sentences, understand the story, and paraphrase it for you. i consider that reading well....i don't think kids have to be above grade level or devouring chapter books to be considered reading well....so that's my definition when responding. i'm super happy for her her.
This is the progression I envisioned for my DS as well when I think of "learning to read". I think he's on this path, but am concerned that he has a slight auditory processing issue because he has a difficult time with letter sounds. We work on phonemes every day, and I can see that he is struggling somewhat... so I think I might need a different teaching tool or some other materials.. Any suggestions?

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#9 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 PM

She was 4 when she learned how to read CVC words. Now she is 6 and just finished Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol and Mary Poppins which are at a 4th and 6th grade level respectively. She really has a knack for grammar, phonics, reading and writing.
#10 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM

DS1 was 3ish. He was like your older child, mostly self taught. DD is 5 1/2 and reading pretty well, but I have no idea when she started. She claimed for a long time to be unable to read, because she couldn't read novels like her brother - but when I started officially tryiing to teach her when she was 5 years 3 months, she could already read a lot - so I answered 4 for her. DS2 is 3 years and 4 months and reading a lot of sight words - but he has a speech delay, so it's hard to know what he knows. The other day, I was wearing my glasses (I usually wear contacts) and he pointed at one and said 'O.' Then he pointed at the other and said "O." I said, "Yes my glasses look like O's." Then he looked at me and said "oooooooo." he read my glasses .
#11 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 PM

DD was reading words at about 3 1/2 and started reading picture books (short ones) right after she turned 4. We didn't try to teach her or anything, she just did it. By 4 1/2 she was reading Magic Tree House independently. She is 6 now and reads anything and everything no problem. Current favorites are the Harry Potters.

That being said, I think your daughter sounds right on track because DD is one of the only one of her friends that can read. Most of them are about where your daughter is.
#12 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 PM

My son is 4 and 3/4 and has just started the reading process. He can read short BOB books (well, to be precise he has read the first five. He loves sounding everything out.

I count this as reading. It's not novels, but I never claimed that
#13 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM

My son recently turned 6, and in just a few months has come a long with Reading Reflex (the method is called Phonographix). We're on the last Even More Bob Books -- he's in the stage of needing practice to recall all the various vowel combinations. What I'm waiting and hoping to see soon is the point at which he WANTS to read on his own --we read tons to him, and he'll look at pictures, and sound out a word here or there, but he still sees reading a book as "work". When he can pick up an early reader and wants to read it on his own -- that's reading in my book. The BOB books aren't exactly enticing thrillers (but better than the stories in REading Reflex!), so I'm excited to have just gotten him to read a couple Elephant and Piggie books -- he actually has a little fun on that "work"!
#14 of 32 Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 PM

8, 11 and just learning at 10 respectively Heck, 6 sounds advanced to me LOL!
#15 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 AM

I voted 7+ even though my son is 6. He *can* read when he tries. Basic words, words without tricks, words that are sparse enough on a page that he isn't overwhelmed by the whole idea of reading them. Stories like "Dad and I went to the park to fly kites. It was windy. Our kites got stuck in a tree." stuff. He reads it one word at a time, sometimes 2. Technically, he is a reader.

But...can he read? Really and truly read? Nope. And since he turns 7 in less than a month, I'm putting him in the 7+ group because if he suddenly becomes a fluent reader in 3 weeks, I will fall over in shock.

My daughter is 5 and is absolutely appalled at the very idea of learning to read. We talk about letters their sounds, and that's it. I'm fairly certain she will be in the 7+ camp unless something comes along that gives her an incredibly exciting and thrilling reason to want to read.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#16 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 AM

At 6, my son could sound out simple words with much effort.

At 7, he could read simple words fluently and would have to sound out bigger words.

Now that he's 8, he reads almost every word that he come into contact with in level 3-4 books without needing to sound them out.

I voted 7+, because before that, he was unable to both sound out and comprehend, and to me, that's not really reading.

My daughter will be 6 in April and while she knows the letter sounds, she's not really at the sounding-out phase yet.
#17 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 AM

If you mean C-A-T or W-E-N-T, my son was an older 3 and my daughter was 5 or almost 5.

4-5 months into instruction, my daughter can do mid-1st grade readers pretty smoothly and my son is not reading with much fluidity, but sounding out progressively more complex words. Maybe my son will read well earlier than my daughter for having started sooner, but there's no reason to think that at this point.
#18 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM

Soul-O,
This question will always attract people with early readers so I wouldn't consider the responses to reflect what is typical. It sounds like your child is doing very well in the reading department!
#19 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftField View Post
Soul-O,
This question will always attract people with early readers so I wouldn't consider the responses to reflect what is typical. It sounds like your child is doing very well in the reading department!

Thanks for the reassurance. It's hard to know if I am doing right by my child, as I'm used to the traditional school standards for measuring success. He's a very bright kid, but also definitely a kinesthetic learner with strong mechanical leanings and a math aptitude, so reading/phonics is not his favorite subject and thus a bit of a struggle.

#20 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Dd1 (now 15) was 3 1/2 reading simple books (then went to school at 4)
Dd2 (now 12) was sounding out words at almost-3, and was reading easy chapter books (like Junie B Jones) at 4. Then she started school at 4 (and all that love of reading went out the friggin window within 2 years : )
Ds (now 7) was 4 when he started sounding out words, hit a plateau for 2 years, started reading a little better at 6, and now he's at the easy chapter-book stage (Nate the Great, Boxcar Children, Magic Treehouse).

The girls were more phonics-oriented and ds threw me for a loop being more of a whole-language learner. All my kids were pretty different - it's so hard not to compare, lol.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#21 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post

Thanks for the reassurance. It's hard to know if I am doing right by my child, as I'm used to the traditional school standards for measuring success. He's a very bright kid, but also definitely a kinesthetic learner with strong mechanical leanings and a math aptitude, so reading/phonics is not his favorite subject and thus a bit of a struggle.
I would reiterate what Leftfield said. Almost six is still very young. It is only very recently that a five year old would have been expected to do any reading or phonics whatsoever. And, regardless of the push for earlier reading instruction in schools, there is absolutely no evidence correlating early reading with reading well in the later grades. So relax. Even the uber academic school system would not begin testing for a problem until he is eight.

My parents purchased Hooked on Phonics for my dd, and she enjoyed that. She has very good listening skills, so I think the CDs in that program worked well for her. She was also quicker in math.
#22 of 32 Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 PM

I am interested in this question b/c I am about to begin homeschooling my preschooler and want to teach her to read. My older four kids are all in public school. I think my dd shows signs of readiness for reading as she knows her letters and many letter sounds. We shall see.

I can't resist offering some comments about age of learning to read, even though the older kids were not homeschooled. I think it's interesting how and when kids learn. I believe very strongly that it's a developmental thing and that the age they learn at doesn't necessarily reflect their intelligence or language/reading abilities or even interest.

My youngest reader was four and learned on his own. In fact, he quite surprised us by reading a book to his sister. We knew he could recognize some words by sight, but had no idea he could really read. By that, I mean fluently reading unfamiliar material and figuring out new words and comprehending them.

My oldest reader was seven by the time she read fluently. She began the process of learning to read at age five, but it took two years before she could really read well enough for me to say she was a fluent reader.

The funny thing is that today, the one who took the longest to learn to read is my super-reader. She reads constantly and at a very advanced level. She went from barely reading to reading novels in just a few weeks. Once she discovered it, she was hooked. But unfortunately, my early reader is not very interested in reading. Reading to him is a means to an end. He figured it out b/c he needed to follow instructions for a game or find his way around the computer, etc. The only books we can interest him in are Guiness Book of World Records and some similar non-fiction type books packed with a lot of exciting information in small bullets and paragraphs. He just doesn't want to read anything of greater substance.

I think people tend to beam with pride and excitement when their child learns to read early (I know I did) and to assume that it's proof of their brilliance (I know I did) and conversely to worry and fret when their child learns more slowly (I sure did) and think perhaps the child isn't so gifted (I sure did). But I've come to the conclusion that age of reading doesn't mean so much.

Maybe it's more like crawling or walking or talking or other milestones in development? Just b/c a child walks early doesn't mean he'll be a great athlete or if one talks late she's not necessarily unintelligent. Ykwim?

Does anyone else have this experience?
#23 of 32 Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I learned to read at age 6, in first grade. DD1 learned to read at age 6, but happened to have been in Kindergarten at the time. DD2 learned to read at age 6, in first grade. I definitely got the feeling, both times, that they learned to read when they were ready to do so, the fact that they were in school at the time, and what grade they were enrolled in, was purely coincidence.

DS was taught to read in Kindergarten, when he was almost 5. He was able to grasp the concepts, but he was NOT ready. It completely screwed with his love of reading. Just now, two and a half years later, he's starting to enjoy reading again. Had he been left to his own devices, I suspect he'd have had a sudden burst in reading ability around his 7th birthday (which is around the time he started gaining fluency and interest in reading and he'd probably be reading independently around 7 years, 3 months- which is right now, and he IS finally developing an interest in independent reading for fun.)

Rushing along the reading process won't do any good and it may do some real harm. Lots of boys aren't ready for reading until age 7, 8, or 9. Of course, some are ready at age 3, but those are the exception, not the rule.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#24 of 32 Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM

I voted 7+ as my oldest is not yet reading and is 7 1/2 years old. He has only very recently shown in any interest in wishing he could read (note: not interest in learning to read, but rather just realizing that maybe it'd be nice if he could). We have tried with phonics on and off since he was a little younger than 5 (or maybe when he turned 5; I can't remember exactly). He can do all the Explode-the-Code type books, but it does nothing in him actually learning to read. He's much more of a "learn the word whole" type of kid. So, we are very slowly working with the McGuffy readers and learning words by sight for now.

Ds#2 is 5 and is not reading yet either. He has some interest (he is usually interested in learning whatever ds#1 is learning, so if ds#1 and I work on reading, ds#2 wants to work on reading). I see ds#2 learning how to read at a younger age than ds#1, but not for at least another year.

My hunch is ds#3 will be the youngest reader, but that is only a hunch. He's just 2 1/2.

I have stressed about ds#1's lack of reading on and off for 2 years now. I was a very young reader (4 years old - taught myself). And, I have a Master's degree in Reading Education. So, I have put a lot of stress on me and on ds#1 as a result. But, I have learned to really back off and know that he will learn. It is very reassuring reading stories from families of late readers. So many talk about how their child went from not reading at all at age 8 or 9 to reading novels in a very short period of time. On the other hand, reading stories of early/precocious readers were very stressful. Just as my ds#3 finally began speaking at age 2, I know my 7 1/2 year old will finally begin reading.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#25 of 32 Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 AM

DS just learned over the past few months. He's 5 and in K this year. He couldn't sound out a single word at the beginning of the year and I wasn't sure how long it would actually take for him to understand that combining the sounds of the letters (which he knew well) make up words. He'd sound out "c-a-t. That spells bicycle." But he was so eager to actually learn to read, so when it finally clicked he soaked it up. He's reading simple books with relatively short sentences, and he can tell you what he read about so I know he's comprehending it.

That being said, he still prefers to be read to, even when it's a book that he is fully capable of reading himself. And that's ok with me, he likes to snuggle when we read, and I know there will come a day when he wont want to do that anymore.
#26 of 32 Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I voted 7+ as my oldest is not yet reading and is 7 1/2 years old. He has only very recently shown in any interest in wishing he could read (note: not interest in learning to read, but rather just realizing that maybe it'd be nice if he could). We have tried with phonics on and off since he was a little younger than 5 (or maybe when he turned 5; I can't remember exactly). He can do all the Explode-the-Code type books, but it does nothing in him actually learning to read. He's much more of a "learn the word whole" type of kid. So, we are very slowly working with the McGuffy readers and learning words by sight for now.
I voted 7+ as well and my son sounds a lot like yours, MLW! He turned 7 in Oct and he has just recently started saying things like, "I need to learn to read". Not really wanting to learn to read exactly, but just because it might be more convenient if he could read things himself rather than asking others to read something for him.

He's not much into decoding... he'd rather learn the whole word, so we are trying to concentrate more on sight words.

He's been doing HeadSprout for about 6 months now and seems to like it OK. I need to look into McGuffy readers. It seems as though I keep 'hearing' about them on threads here at MDC.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#27 of 32 Old 02-02-2009, 02:39 PM

I didn't vote because I'm not quite sure if dd1 falls under age 5 or 6. She is 3 months from being 6, in K this year, and it just now really getting down all of her letter sounds and starting to put them together in simple 3 letter words. Just this past week, she was able to start reading the first 3 BOB books in the first set. So, just starting to read, but she probably won't be really reading until well into age 6.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#28 of 32 Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
I need to look into McGuffy readers. It seems as though I keep 'hearing' about them on threads here at MDC.

you can download them for free here because they are public domain now:
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/results

although, they aren't that expensive to purchase at amazon & it may even be cheaper than the ink and paper

these are great too! i love them!

http://www.mainlesson.com/author.php?author=treadwell (you cannot download the second & third though - but the primer and first are awesome!!!)

#29 of 32 Old 02-03-2009, 12:24 AM

My DD1 learned to read at 4.5.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#30 of 32 Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM

DD1 learned to read at 4.5
DD2 learned at 5
DS learned at 7.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page