Love or Hate It? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talk to me about K12. I hear a lot of homeschoolin' mama lovin' it and others that don't even see it as "homeschooling". Please freely express your opinions.

Espeeeeeeeeeecially, if you go through the public charter school route.
#2 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 PM

My children have had a good experience with it, through California Virtual Academy. There are definitely hoops to jump through if you go the VA route - testing, turning in work samples, meetings with their "teachers" every couple of months, etc. They've been very good about letting my kids work at their own pace - willingly skipped my son a year upon entry, and haven't really batted an eye that he's done almost completely with that curriculum already and have given us the next year - so my son should be in second grade, but it hasn't been complicated to have him i 4th grade curriuculum. DD has been moving quickly, too, and it hasn't been a problem. Unfortunately, my teacher has told me that they have stopped doing placement tests upon entry and are sending all grade level materials, and then the teacher can evaluate and send more appropriate materials if s/he and the parents decide it's needed. So, it's still possible to work above or below grade level, but there's an extra step involved.

Is there anything specifically that you want to know about it?
#3 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 PM

It's working well for us. We chose the curriculum-in-a-box rather than online, so most of the time it's just us. I just have to sign him in every day.

Talk to the person in charge of ds's file once or twice a month.

So far had no trouble with him working at his own pace, even when that meant his went through Kindergarten in 2 months flat.

So far, so good.
#4 of 11 Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM

My aunt is using it with her son, through the charter school. He does well with it (grades wise) but they both find it stressful, very school-y, lots of hoops to jump through, and not as flexible as she would like. Then again, that could just be her Type A personality making it harder than it has to be. (She does that sometimes. )

It is homeschooling, I don't see how that can be disputed, but it's definitely school-at-home which is not something I would enjoy. One of the most important benefits of homeschooling for me is the total freedom to tailor everything to my individual children.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#5 of 11 Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 AM

Here are three of the threads that have gone through here -

K-12 Virtual Academy?
Anyone doing K-12?
K-12 Curriculum?

- Lillian
#6 of 11 Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

I wanted to add something--it takes us *very* little time to actually do the work. 1 hr a day maybe. There is plenty of time for doing lots of fun educational stuff outside of the curriculum, and I've added or substituted stuff along the way, as long as it follows the general direction of the course.

With the math thing, for instance, ds was *way* ahead, and there was no way I was going to make him sit through every single lesson for the sake of following the curriculum. The school had no problem with him completing and sending in two or three tests at a time. He completed 4 tests to send in at once and finish first grade math a few weeks ago, and his 2nd grade math should be arriving soon.
#7 of 11 Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
I wanted to add something--it takes us *very* little time to actually do the work. 1 hr a day maybe. There is plenty of time for doing lots of fun educational stuff outside of the curriculum, and I've added or substituted stuff along the way, as long as it follows the general direction of the course.

With the math thing, for instance, ds was *way* ahead, and there was no way I was going to make him sit through every single lesson for the sake of following the curriculum. The school had no problem with him completing and sending in two or three tests at a time. He completed 4 tests to send in at once and finish first grade math a few weeks ago, and his 2nd grade math should be arriving soon.
I agree with this, particularly in the younger grades. I usually spend about an hour to an hour and a half a day with my 5 yo. Ds takes longer, but a lot of his stuff is independant.
#8 of 11 Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 PM

i think there is no harm in trying it if you feel led in that direction. seriously, if you do *hate* it - then simply withdraw. no big deal. end of story. good luck!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#9 of 11 Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 PM

We have done the LawrenceVirtualSchool for three years now and it's okay. It's not a fabulous, amazing curriculum, but for the price you pay and the amount of stuff and support you get, it's a great deal. We've always done the virtual school, though, and all of the homeschoolers I know who went from doing their own thing to doing the virtual school HATE the virtual school. It's hard to get used to the structure if you've always gone at your own pace before.
#10 of 11 Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 AM

right now my oldest two are using K12 science and love it, but they are in chage of when they do it and how they use it. we have used it for my dd (when she was 9) and did the whole bunch of classes and it was a PIA. i felt like to get my money's worth i had to be on her all the time. at the time we used it the state we were in didn't have the VA.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#11 of 11 Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We using K12 though CAVA and have been very happy this time around (tried last year and got a horrid teacher and it was just ugly). It takes dd about an hour to do the days work, they try scaring you and telling you it takes 4-5 hours but that hasn't been our experience unless your trying to do EVERYTHING, every little experiment, worksheet, ect. You really have to learn how to work around the requirements so your not dragged down into all the extra stuff. I find we can actually speed up many lessons by watching a 2 minute brain pop video and it manages to cover the lesson and more in a couple of minutes rather then 15-60min. The LA arts stuff can be tedious but we pick and choose and supplement to cover the stuff that's taking the long drawn out way to teach the material. Give it a try but know there's a steep learning curve in how to use the school but once you get the hang of it its not a big deal.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page