homeschoolign 1/2 the time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is this something possible has anyoen here done it? what are your thoughts on a child goign to public school for a few classes and home for the rest?

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 AM

As far as I know they don't allow that here in Maryland. It's something I wondered about in the beginning as well and I was told it wasn't possible.

If it is possible than that could possibly be cool, if they don't allow it you may want to look into joining a co-op in your area. We have one here that meets every Friday morning (just 2-3 classes) and I think I'm going to join just for the socialization aspect. It's right here in my own community.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

i think it is allowed in my state

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM

It's going to be different everywhere - it's worth looking into if that's a need you have. I did know someone in norther CA quite a few years ago who told the small public school his son was in that he was going to be picking him up for afternoons at home to study things they felt were important, because the school was wasting the afternoon with things that weren't working well for him. But that was pretty exceptional, and I think he got away with it largely because it's such a tiny town, if you can even call it a town, and the family had been very supportive of the school. - Lillian
Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM

We have a couple of Free or Democratic Schools in our area. I know a lot of kids that go to them part time. In fact the teacher at the one Free School homeschools her own child. She goes to the school part of the day four days per week and homeschools the rest. Public schools here won't let you do anything like that. But I know some places will.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 01-31-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It isn't an option where I live (MD), but if it was I would consider it for some things.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 PM

It's definitely an option in WA, in fact, its the law that any public school that would sccept your child as a full time student accepts him or her as a part time student. That said, it's not always easy to get the schools to DO it.
There are a lot of homeschool families around here who send their kids to school for certain classes- spanish, gym, music, like that. We have friends whose 4th grader goes to school one day a week, rides the bus and everything. That was fairly complicated to arrange, but is working out well enough. It seems easier, understandably, to arrange attendance just for the special classes, rather than part time in the regular class.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:23 AM

We did it, here in Kansas, when our son was in first grade. He just went to the "specials" which are art, music, and gym. It only lasted 30 min. The principal was going to let us do more, like just come for language arts, but we decided not to. In our town, in Lawrence, it's pretty much up to the principal to decide. If there is alot of room in the school they're more likely to let you do it because they receive funding for your child even though your child is hardly ever there, so it's actually in their advantage to do it if they are low on students.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

oh id be looking for part time in the specials like art, music, french, gym and as they get older id like them to do math at school

Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
As far as I know they don't allow that here in Maryland. It's something I wondered about in the beginning as well and I was told it wasn't possible.
There are private schools in Maryland that will do this. There's even "homeschool academies" which are like part-time private schools. We're going to the open house for one here this month. They teach all electives and humanities at the school on Mondays and Wednesdays and math and reading is taught at home. Seems like a good mix, to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM

From what research our group has done, only private schools will do this in CO. The ones we checked with didn't have a set policy, they would work with each child/family individually and most of them wouldn't do it at all.

For me it really wouldn't be worth the disruption in our day to drive a kid to school for only a few hours or less. If they were taking more than one class, if the classes weren't back to back, what do they do in the meantime? Sit in the library, maybe?

I guess I might consider it for a high school age child, I would not, at this time, consider it for a younger child.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 AM

We are considering part-time enrollment at a charter math and science high school. It is allowed by our state, but determined by district. So, one school district may allow it and then 20 minutes down the road, they don't.

The major downside I see is that we are stuck with the school schedule even though she is only going to be there part-time. I'll need to work more next year though so hopefully it will be a good situation. If not, we'll jump back to full-time hs'ing quite happily.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
There are private schools in Maryland that will do this. There's even "homeschool academies" which are like part-time private schools. We're going to the open house for one here this month. They teach all electives and humanities at the school on Mondays and Wednesdays and math and reading is taught at home. Seems like a good mix, to me.
there are a few schools like this in GA that we are planning on using for k-12. 2 days at school and 3 days at home. Here they are called University Model Schools (UMS) or are called by a few others names. I could send you the links to them but i don't know if it would help unless you are in north Atlanta. It is a great idea though if you can find one, i am so excited to do this type of schooling w/ our children, as I am not cut out to be 100 % responsible for all of their schooling, but can be majorly involved. And it cuts out the downtime, study halls but still has all the sports, clubs and specials, as well as the educated teachers in each subject.

User Tag List