Pandia Press, History Odyssey and REAL Science questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I looked at these, it states they are for grades 1-4 on the REAL science. Maybe I am missing something, but after looking through the samples, I don't get how it is going to be used for grades 1-4. Can anyone help me out? I think the Life book would be for grade 1 and the Earth/Space would be for grade 2? Is this correct? Where does the grades 1-4 come in?

As far as the HO goes, I do see where they are broken down into Levels 1-3 for the different grades. I also see they use the SOTW books. How are these guides different from the activity guides that are written for the SOTW volumes?

I have been looking for reviews of these, but haven't found any yet. Can someone recommend a place to find reviews?

Thanks for any help!
Amanda
#2 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Have your tried http://www.homeschoolreviews.com.

I am using both Real Science and History Odyssey for my 3rd and 5th graders. REAL science is broken down by level. DD is doing pre-level and ds is using level 1. The different levels cover a different grade spread.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#3 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I did go to www.homeschoolreviews.com but there was not any reviews for the science and only 1 for HO. In the samples available on the website for science, I didn't see different levels in the material I downloaded.

Are there more than just the life and earth/space level 1 available for science? Maybe I just missed them somewhere?
#4 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM

I believe it is just biology/chemistry/physics and earth and space.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#5 of 7 Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaGRB View Post
Where does the grades 1-4 come in?
They are suitable for use with children ranging from Gr. 1 to Gr. 4. You are correct that each topic is designed for only one year of study.

Quote:
As far as the HO goes, I do see where they are broken down into Levels 1-3 for the different grades. I also see they use the SOTW books. How are these guides different from the activity guides that are written for the SOTW volumes?
My review is here. HO is secular. I think SOTW Ancients AG is balanced towards Bible stories at the expense of other myth cycles. HO also doesn't use SOTW as its spine (but rather the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History). HO Level 1 Ancients uses SOTW in almost every lesson, but this dependence lessens as the series progresses; however, HO Level 1 Ancients uses two amazing project books: Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors and Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors.
#6 of 7 Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Whoa this thread is confusing.

There are two similar named science programs-
Real Science for Kids which has 3 levels of ten week programs, Bio, Chem, Phy

Then there is R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press. It has two year long programs available level 1 Life and Level 1 Earth and Space. Level 1 Chem is almost available and there are plans to make higher levels of them as well as levels of Physics. They are only one year each, but you could use level one for any of 1-4th grade.

Yes they say that Level 1 Life is suitable for 1-4 graders. Quite frankly I think that is just wishful thinking. We loved Life and Earth and Space, and really wished Chem had been ready at the beginning of this year. But I agree that they don't spread nearly the ages that they "planned" them for.

Assuming you do one year on bio, earth, chem, and phy, then they would recomend Level one for 1-4. Eventually they hope to have a level 2 that would be for grades 5-8 (and I think even a level 3 for high school, but don't hold your breath ).
#7 of 7 Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM

I was just at the Pandia Press website http://www.pandiapress.com/index.htm and found that they have a free preview of most of there ebooks. They say that it provides weeks of curriculum, and then if you like it, it's only $35 to purchase the whole ebook. It seems to me to be a great way to figure out if it would be a good fit for you and your children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page