A homeschooler's legal right to some public schooling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard that a homeschooler has a right to a certain amount of attendance at their district's public school-to attend gym, or teams or music, I guess.

does anyone know anything about this? I am sure it varies from state to state-I am in CO, but would like to hear about anyone's experiences.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 AM

It does vary. Some school districts are easier to work with than others. You can call your local school, and also try posting in the CO Finding Your Tribe section here on MDC if you don't get more answers here.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 AM
2xy

My experience tells me that calling the school is not likely to be helpful. I've homeschooled in three states (and six cities) and the schools never seem to have correct information. Some will go out of their way to give you bad information.

My advice would be to hook up with a local homeschool support group, utilize the Finding Your Tribe forum like MamaMonica suggested, or contact the Superintendent of Schools for your district. Although, the Superintendent of Schools has been known to be misinformed, as well.
#4 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 PM

I looked it up on our state's homeschool group's website, where it said homeschoolers may participate in non-academic classes/activities at a school only, and that it is up to each principal of the school.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#5 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Every state is different. You should look at the DOE site for your state. In my state, homeschoolers are allowed to attend any activity that is completely extracurricular. So homeschoolers could go to the prom, but if marching band is part of the school's music program, homeschoolers couldn't participate in that. Sports are usually allowed under this rule.

My state also has a clause stating that districts can be reimbursed by the state if they allow part-time enrollment of homeschoolers in curricular activities and classes, but this is left to the discretion of the superintendent. I contacted my district and the superintendent says that our district does NOT allow it.

As you can see, sometimes it doesn't only vary by state, but also by district.

Tara
#6 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 PM

In Michigan, homeschoolers have the right to participate in non-academic classes/teams. My homeschooled 6 yr. old takes art and music at our local school and also plays on their soccer team. The teams are run through our city's rec and ed, and I called the school to get him in art and music. I went through the standard registration (proof of residence, birth certificate, physical and vaccine exemption) and picked the class I wanted him to join for art and music. He could do gym but I'm not interested in driving him there any more than we already do, when he can play outside all day and participates in sports.
#7 of 7 Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM

I know here in MN, homeschoolers are allowed to participate in any classes at the public school that they'd like. That includes extra-curricular. I know of a kid who was homeschooled in our district, but also took a few classes at the local school. I'm not sure how I feel about that though. I guess it would depend on how much of the day the child would be spending at the ps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page