Science stuff for Easter basket? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Posting this on gifted and on homeschool boards. Thanks!

Easter is coming and we give the kids baskets from the "bunny". Dd knows that we are the bunny, but we plan on keeping this as a tradition even when all three know. However, I don't want pointless junk in the basket. Since Anna is REALLY into science lately, I was thinking of picking up some stuff for science experiments and making her basket kinda themed. But, I don't really know what to put in it. We have plenty of baking soda and vinegar here but we really don't have any "basic kit".

What would you include?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could make her some indicator solution by pouring boiling water over chopped up red cabbage. There is more info about that here. You could also include some other substances for her to test with the solution. Things like antacid tablets, lemon juice, liquid soap, lemonade or iced tea mix, etc

If you want to go beyond the acids and bases thing you could include some black eye shadow powder, sticky tape and a soft bush so she can try and lift fingerprints, maybe an ink pad and some index cards so she can print herself and the family. My kids love doing that!

You could make her an edible earth kit. Instructions here on how I made an earth with my kiddos. You could package up some clay, the hot ball and the marshmallow.
#3 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 12:31 AM

ooo, this is a fantastic idea. im going to brainstorm this but two sites i look at for major science inspiration are

www.thinkgeek.com/

www.stevespanglerscience.com/

i would start there for inspiration.

maybe head to the local radio shack
#4 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM
kwg

Great idea! I think I will join you in putting some stuff in- though we love our candy too over here

My ds loves magnets-bar, button, etc., beakers and test tubes to test the density of liquids and who knows what else, books and materials to complete the experiments.........I am going to check out those sites too!
#5 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 AM

I got DS a crystal growing kit from the Smithsonian (I bet you can find them everywhere, just happens to be our local museum). He LOVES rocks and apparently it's a "popcorn crystal" -- you just pour vinegar over the rock and a crystal grows!

I also wanted to mention a web site called Steve Spangler Science (Steve is an old friend of mine) He has fabulous ideas and experiments (plus a shop) on there, we visit all the time for ideas!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#6 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM

magnets! perfect!

try this out

http://www.magnetshop.com/

this shop makes my son drool.
#7 of 12 Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Last year my son's basket had a butterfly kit in it. I think this year it will be ladybugs or ants. (Although Im having a hard time with the idea of inviting ants into my home.) He loved the butterfly kit and wants to do it again this year. He also wants frogs. Al are available at

Insectlore.com

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#8 of 12 Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom View Post
Last year my son's basket had a butterfly kit in it. I think this year it will be ladybugs or ants. (Although Im having a hard time with the idea of inviting ants into my home.)
If you get an ant farm, get a bug vacuum! It is invaluable if the farm gets knocked over accidently and the ants escape. The ones that you order through the farm kits bite!

Anyway, I just placed an order from Edmunds Scientific http://scientificsonline.com

I found a free shipping code on orders over $50 that I was able to apply (FGR). Another code I found worked, as well (but you can't use both). The second code is for 12% off an online order (TY2).

Some of the things I looked at were hand boilers, fiber optic wand, solar beads (change from white to colored when exposed to UV), "hand blasters" (balls coated with potassium chlorate and sulfur that make a loud noise when banged together), Strawz (straws you can connect together like pipes and use to drink), Seltzer powered rocket (really small and cute, made of film canister and powered by alka seltzer, have one and like it).

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#9 of 12 Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 PM

If you have a microscope, you can get some really cool pre-prepared slides.

Target and some of the other stores have a variety of inexpensive science kits.

We have a miniature figurine that has removable insides to learn about anatomy.

Check out some of the teacher supply places for other science ideas.
#10 of 12 Old 03-08-2009, 08:34 PM

this ant farm is awsome http://www.vat19.com/dvds/antworks-i...-combo-box.cfm we bought oter that ants got loose this one they never did it is rock soild in contruction and the ants eat that gel too its so fun to watch them build tunnles I'm going to buy another for my kids

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#11 of 12 Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Great ideas! I think I could do many baskets.

Thanks,

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
#12 of 12 Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We always put the powdered stuff you can turn turn into snow...since Easter is spring and then they have some winter if they get tired of summer.

We also put in a toothbrush...since they get candy and might get tired of dirty teeth Balance, right?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page