Curriculum help and suggestions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest daughter Kyla will be 8 in May, we pulled her out of the magnet school she was attending over christmas break to homeschool. We gave her a month or so off and have been trying to wing it for the last couple of months, but we are flailing around like chicken with our heads cut off! I need some help

She went to a parent co-operative preschool and Kindergarten that focused on learning through play, we really want to get back to that style of learning as it suits her best. BUT I tend to be more traditional when I try to plan things and that ends up with us butting heads. She needs to be doing hands on activities and be learning about things she is interested in to really be engaged.

So I am wondering if anyone has any curriculum suggestions? I obviously need something to help guide me to help her learn in the way that is best for her.... so something hands on, creative, engaging, non religuous.... I would say that unschooling is probably what would be best for HER but I don't think I am an unschooling mom

Thanks for any help you ladies can offer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 PM

I'm looking for something similar. I just pulled my daughter out of K. So far I found RightStart math and we've been doing that.

My DD resists being outright taught anything. She loves being read to, but isn't reading on her own yet. I've been scouring the internet and reading about homeschooling. Right now I'm reading The First Year of Homeschooling by Linda Dobson. It is really making me feel more relaxed. I'm thinking that we need to do unit studies with lots of reading aloud, so maybe Sonlight, but secular. I guess there's a Sonlight secular yahoo group.

I've also heard some good stuff about Moving Beyond the Page..I think it is called. I'm still comparing and making up my mind.

We also are doing a free trial of ReadingEggs.com, which my daughter loves, but I'm not convinced it is actually teaching her much.
#3 of 4 Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 AM

I would look at language arts materials from Michael Clay Thompson at www.rfwp.com. My dd loved the rich language of the elementary level books and we really enjoyed reading and discussing them together. On the website is a link to a yahoo group for this curriculum for additional insight and help implementing it. To discuss books you read together, either read the book Deconstructing Penguins, or from the www.rfwp.com site check out Suppose the Wolf were an Octupus books. They come with accompanying book lists and the site sells some as packages.

You might check out Charlotte Mason materials. The short but rich lessons, emphasis on nature studies might be a good fit. Take what works and leave the rest! Look for SecularCM on yahoo groups for a good group for ideas there.

You might look at the Pandia press site for science and history. However, I think the library and book ideas from the SecularCM group would give you all you really need. Google MSNucleus for free science curriculum online.

Math - we liked Singapore math and fun books like The Number Devil and Penrose the Mathematical Cat. When she's a little older, math books (like Challenge Math) by Zaccaro are good. For a good free math program, google MEP, it looks very good, K-12.

Art - Meet the Masters looks pretty good, but haven't tried it. It is on sale at the homeschoolbuyersco-op.com If you haven't checked out that site yet, do it. Good prices on lots of material, some secular, some not.

Hope this gives you some good ideas to get you started.
#4 of 4 Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Oak Meadow has grade-by-grade samples of its curriculum online. And there's Five-in-a-Row for unit studies - and there are lots of unit study ideas online. Here's an article on doing child-led unit studies. You want to be careful not to beat a subject to death, though - it can turn into busy work pretty fast, because learning just doesn't tend to be as big a project as we oftentimes assume. . - Lillian

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page