WWYD? 5 yo is "truant" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd pull her just because of the teacher.
#32 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippityskippity View Post
We're keeping her in because we think it will make for an easier transition. The more I think about this, the more I wonder if that's the case. But, she does seem to like going most of the time. So, maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this. Just 90-something days left.....
An easier transition to what? Do you mean to homeschooling? If that's the case, I can assure you that this is not the case. In all the years I've seen the question come up, I have yet to see anyone say "I wish I'd kept my child in school those last few months instead of pulling her out," but plenty say they wish they'd gone ahead and pulled the child out when they realized they were going to be homeschooling. It was around this time of year when I realized I'd be homeschooling in the fall, and I always wished later that I'd just gone ahead and pulled my son out, even though I'd still be responsible for the few months tuition. There was absolutely no reason to "finish" anything - it's just a tradition we allow ourselves to be trapped in. Spring is coming, and there's no finer time to be out in the real world - the daffodils and cherry blossoms have already sprung in CA, and she could be out enjoying this season of her childhood. You've already been witnessing how delightful the excursions have been, and how useless the time in that classroom is. If it's that you feel you need more time to research how you're going to homeschool, or something like that, I can also assure you that no such thing is necessary. She'd be needing decompression/deschooling time in the fall anyway - so all the better to get started on that now.

I really think that letter is most likely just an automatic procedure that's required of the school - but the fact remains that your intentions for the next few months don't seem to be compatible with the notions the school has of how school families operate.

Here's a post with my current favorite "getting started" resources (the National Home Education Network links are temporarily, due to technical difficulties, but it's worth checking back later, because it has lots of great information, articles, etc.): getting started.

I hope things go smoothly, regardless of what you decide. - Lillian
#33 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

OK, DH and I have done some serious talking and we're leaning very strongly towards pulling her. DD told me today, "I have just 2 months and then June and then the last day of school. I wish March was my last day." I take what she says seriously, but on the other hand, she has days when she likes school, too. It's not like she feels one way about school consistently.

Why is this so scary? I'm terrified to take the final leap and just start homeschooling NOW. It was always something wonderful that we were going to do in the future. Yikes.
#34 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Why is this so scary? I'm terrified to take the final leap and just start homeschooling NOW. It was always something wonderful that we were going to do in the future. Yikes.
It's a big step away from what you've always known. Here - read my family's story: Homeschooling - It's a Wonderful Life!.

Excerpt:
I dreamed of our family having freedom to make our own choices. I dreamed of evenings free of useless homework and agonizing study for senseless tests. I dreamed of being able to go out into the world together to see and learn from fascinating historical places and museums. I dreamed of being able to read what we wanted to read when we wanted to read it - late at night, in the morning snuggled under a quilt, or while traveling. Sound familiar?

That article is one of eighteen in an e-book called See, I Told Me So -Homeschool veterans declare "You can stop worrying!" None of the contributors get a profit from it - it was just something we agreed to do when the publisher presented the idea to some friends, and then to a number of homeschooling email groups, for seasoned homeschoolers who had already graduated children to write their stories of reassurance for all the people - like yourself - who were having doubts that they could do this. So, to borrow a line from the e-book title - You can stop worrying!

And remember, you all need decompression/deschooling time anyway - so it's not as if you need to have your "home school" routine planned for day #1.

Here's where you can get information on how to legally, comfortably, pull her right now - Legal 101 (scroll down the page to the words "The Legality of Homeschooling: Complying with California Law," from the site of the HomeSchool Assn. of California. - Lillian
#35 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, DH and I have done some serious talking and we're leaning very strongly towards pulling her. DD told me today, "I have just 2 months and then June and then the last day of school. I wish March was my last day." I take what she says seriously, but on the other hand, she has days when she likes school, too. It's not like she feels one way about school consistently.

You can do both, pull her out and wait to homeschool. It sounds like she's ahead anyway...and she's a bit young for formal schooling yet.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#36 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
It sounds like she's ahead anyway...and she's a bit young for formal schooling yet.
Of course! That hadn't even occurred to me. Here's an article of ideas I put together about homeschooling preschool & kindergarten, and it leads to a whole page of links to articles and helpful websites full of activity ideas. Lillian
#37 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
You can do both, pull her out and wait to homeschool. It sounds like she's ahead anyway...and she's a bit young for formal schooling yet.
I second this! It sounds like you can spend the spring taking some great field trips and doing fun stuff with your kid. Kindergarten should be fun- not writing your numbers over and over- that sounds awful.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#38 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Hi, I just wanted to offer some support. My daughter is just a little younger and although we weren't facing "truancy" issues, we just pulled her from her pre-K program 2 weeks ago.

I had many of the exact same thoughts... we should finish the year, it would be better, etc... well, then I started to really listen and observe my daughter and realized that it wouldn't be better for her to wait.

So, we went ahead and did it, and all I can say is that I wish we had done it sooner. It's been exactly the right decision!

Good luck with your decision!

Holli
#39 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 PM

I would pull her out now. I recently pulled my daughter out and it was the best thing I could have done. Yes, she had days she liked school (and she does miss some of her friends), but she is happier and so I am. It is scary at first, but take the leap. It will work out and you won't have to deal with the school district. Good Luck!

Amber (31) - Married to my high school sweetheart for 13 years, mom of 4 amazing kids (ages 12, 8, 3, and 16 months), homeschooler, and expecting our 5th child around May 18th!
#40 of 51 Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM

Hmmmm... I wonder if the "if you enroll, it's compulsory" thing applies across multiple years too.

4 year old DD is in half-day Pre-K, but you have to go through the sign up process to be assigned to a school for K as well. We'll be homeschooling next year, so we just didn't do any paperwork. I know lots of kids move from this program to gifted ones, private ones, etc. so I figured we'd be back to the "non-compulsory until age 6" thing next year.

I wonder if I'll have to file for homeschool K/age 5 even though it isn't compulsory until 6. I don't mind doing it, I'm just wondering. Where/how did you find that information for your state?

OP, I too vote for just pulling her in your situation, though. Our school is at least not annoying about number of missed days at Pre-K. I do hear, though, that K is different, whether it's just the teacher attitude or something legal I don't know.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#41 of 51 Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I wonder if I'll have to file for homeschool K/age 5 even though it isn't compulsory until 6. I don't mind doing it, I'm just wondering. Where/how did you find that information for your state?
You could poke around in your state law pages and see what you find:

Home Education Magazine's pages on laws & regulations

A to Z Home's Cool
Regional Laws & Support

Lillian
#42 of 51 Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I believe in Colorado that once you enroll you have to play by their rules, so that even though she would be below the compulsory attendance age here (which is 6 too), once you enrolled her she is now under that requirement and you would have to fill out all of the removal paperwork in order to get her homeschooled.

Colorado used to be 7 to 16 but last year they changed it to 6 (and maybe to 17, I don't remember). Although homeschoolers are exempt from it to age 7, we still have to notify the school district or private school by age 6.
#43 of 51 Old 03-14-2009, 08:59 AM

We had something similar happen with DD in 2nd grade when I we went to Disney (not the epitome of educational trips, but going in September had a multitude of benefits!). I will say that the letter was not as strong. We just let the issue alone, but it sounds like California is much more strict about the attendance issue than NY.
#44 of 51 Old 03-14-2009, 09:33 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
Yes, it's the same in GA. Compulsory attendance age is 7, but if you enroll your 5 y/o in K and then pull them out mid-year to homeschool, you must file all the appropriate paperwork even though they are not yet 7. Once they have been enrolled, compulsory attendance laws apply.

That said, 3 unexcused absences qualifying her for truancy for K seems really excessive. It should be at least 5, if not 10 days allowed. FWIW, they have to send out those letters. But if you call and talk to the principle or school social worker and explain that your dd is doing well in school and they were vacation related, it should not be a problem at all. It's the parents who ignore all attempts at communication by the school and continue to allow their children to miss days of school past the truancy letter that end up in trouble. I used to work as a school social worker and I had to report parents to CPS, but it was NEVER the first thing we did and if the parents were nice and called us back or wrote back, and the children were doing well in school, we always let it go.
:

As a teacher I sign forms all the time for parents requesting vacation leaves for their children. I have never had an issue with these children being reported to CPS. Please do not think all educators do not accept this as a valid reason because some of us do recognize the importance of these family activities.

In regards to the writing numbers. I am shock and embarrassed that your child continues to do this activity. That is not how I personally run our classroom. Please talk to the teacher yourself about this and ask her/him outright what is being done to challenge your child. I would even go as far as going into the classroom to observe yourself. You should be welcome anytime.

I am sorry this is happening to you right now. I wish you luck in your future decisions.
#45 of 51 Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday when she did her numbers she kept going after 100 (101, 102..... 110). For some reason that struck me as funny. I am definitely glad she's found ways to amuse herself.
#46 of 51 Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM

she has obviously learned all that that teacher has to offer so now she graduates
Enjoy the upcoming nice weather. Enjoy the aquarium...celebrate!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#47 of 51 Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
... but on the other hand, she has days when she likes school, too. It's not like she feels one way about school consistently...
My son was the classic "square peg in a round hole" in public school. He went for four agonizing years (agonizing for both of us) before we finally took the leap to homeschool this year.

But he certainly had days when he liked school, too.
#48 of 51 Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Your school says 3 days "unexcused" is truant? Mine says 5. And we took 5 days of vacation. My dd isn't truant. Wanna know why? Because I informed the school in advance of our vacation (and no, I didn't ask for permission or lie). So she had 5 excused absences and is not truant.

HTH.

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
#49 of 51 Old 03-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
Your school says 3 days "unexcused" is truant? Mine says 5. And we took 5 days of vacation. My dd isn't truant. Wanna know why? Because I informed the school in advance of our vacation (and no, I didn't ask for permission or lie). So she had 5 excused absences and is not truant.
The problem with this reasoning is that parents don't actually have the legal right, without going through whatever legal hoops your state has for homeschooling, to excuse their own child from school. School is compulsory, within ages specified by each state, and truancy is the word used for the act of not going; there are exceptions for illness (though prolonged illnesses have their own rules in most states), but in very few states are there exceptions for "parent wants child not to go" (except to do whatever is legally necessary to homeschool).

I can't find any exception in California truancy law that says a 5 year old is subject to compulsory education once enrolled in school. Some other states definitely do have those exceptions, but California's law seems very specific that only those children subject to compulsory education can be considered truant, and that only those children who are within the compulsory ages are subject to compulsory education. But, I'm no lawyer, and don't even live in California any more.

Unschooling mama to DD1, 11/2001
and DD2, 11/2004
#50 of 51 Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Hmmmm... I wonder if the "if you enroll, it's compulsory" thing applies across multiple years too.

4 year old DD is in half-day Pre-K, but you have to go through the sign up process to be assigned to a school for K as well. We'll be homeschooling next year, so we just didn't do any paperwork. I know lots of kids move from this program to gifted ones, private ones, etc. so I figured we'd be back to the "non-compulsory until age 6" thing next year.

OP, I too vote for just pulling her in your situation, though. Our school is at least not annoying about number of missed days at Pre-K. I do hear, though, that K is different, whether it's just the teacher attitude or something legal I don't know.
Since Pre K is not required here or any other state I am aware of they have no truancy issues. They like for the kids to be there of course but if you pick them up early or dont send them once a week nothing can be done about it.

K however follows the same rules as all the other grades. If they miss they need an excuse and can only miss 12 days a year. If they miss 5 in a row with no word to the school as to why then they get nasty about it.

I havnt pulled dd yet for trips but I have kept her home on the day they did the flu shots at school for fear they would screw up and give her one accidently and they where doing the mist as well so I didnt want her around the germs.

I did write on that note exactly why I was keeping her home since I was pissed they where doing it at school anyway :

If I ever do keep her out for a trip I will just send a note to school that says "DD couldnt make it to school on X date" or something to that effect. I have a real problem with the school getting involved in my personal bussiness and only explain as much as I feel is needed. If I think dd needs to be home then dd needs to be home period.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#51 of 51 Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 AM

Hi - I'm closing this thread, since it's mostly about school, and directing the discussion here.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page