an idea for those wanting flexible structure - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 109 Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We must have been looking at her site and posting at the same time .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 109 Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM

I love this idea...wonder how it would work with a curriculum like Oak Meadow?

I'm so broke, too. If anyone already has Sue's book and is finished with it I would love to buy a used copy or even just borrow a copy and mail it back. Please PM me if you have one to pass along/sell.

Whoops...noticing now...they are e-books?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
#93 of 109 Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bumping this up to say thanks for sharing! This may be a great solution for my V-S DS who really needs more direction than I can always give.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#94 of 109 Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 PM

I'm so happy there's a workbox discussion here on MDC! I've been using them for a couple of weeks with all four kiddos and we love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
today was our first day using it. we actually got a lot accomplished & did some really fun stuff! i think it went really well. here's a link of what i came up with...(it's less complicated then what the author suggest).

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=a82fc9db.pbw

now the only bad part is....i have to fill it again for tomorrow
I'm finding this going faster as I get more used to it. You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Oh you are an angel! I'm so computer savvy but know NOTHING about word/excel/etc LOL!
So...you are actually Internet savvy. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilys_mom1 View Post
Well, we started with the six boxes and it seems like two many for my DD to choose from. She got overwhelmed with the choices. I think I'll start our day with math and reading (language arts) and then let her choose from 3-4 boxes and see if that works better for her.
How's that going? I don't have any of mine choosing, I have them all working in order 1-12, left-right, top-bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
I just saw that a yahoo group is being started for this whole concept:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/workboxes/

It's brand spanking new so not a lot of members yet, I'm hoping it catches on because I'd love to see more variations and how people use this.

Just FYI
This Yahoo group is fabulous!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#95 of 109 Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom View Post
I'm finding this going faster as I get more used to it. You?
yes, we actually use some things everyday - so they're easy to fill now. and i admit, i am slacking a little since the end of our school year is here....i've not been as diligent as i should be. this summer i'll organize our schoolroom ....AGAIN, and i plan to really focus on utilizing our workboxes next year. i love them!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#96 of 109 Old 05-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Are you teasing me? :P Actually I'm just not Office savvy. I can use the internet, reformat, clean up your drive, install new hard drives, memory, power sources, fans......just don't know how to use Office. Spreadsheets kill me.

I stopped using the wb's bc I was so busy and rushing to get done for the year....I'm so ready for vacation. But we're all fighting and grumpy, etc....I think the kids are bored and we need to use them again!!! I'd been using the baskets to just kind of hold the necessities....but I filled them up for real again this weekend, using less bags (we use huge ziplocks in pretty wicker baskets), and I think tomorrow is going to go better (we took today off as DD1 had another performance of Peter and the Wolf to perform in...the 90 seconds those frogs in tutus hop around is important!!!!!).

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#97 of 109 Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been doing the workboxes for a few weeks with DD and I do have to say that I think twelve is way too many for us. I know that a lot of them are supposed to be fun things, but I don't want to schedule all of DD's down time! I don't want my day to have 4 or 5 workboxes with nothing in them but me telling her what she has to play, when and for how long. I'm totally not cool with that AT ALL. We've been doing 6 boxes every day and I usually put a "Play Outside" card or a "Computer Time" card that I made in one or two boxes and sometimes a game in one.

She's only 5, so that's probably part of it, but I figured I'd mention it because I didn't realize I'd feel this way before I started. I started with 6 because that was how many boxes I have, then I realized that 12 would just be way too many for us, even if half of them were "fun" things. I just don't want to schedule my kid's whole day.

I just figured I'd mention it, because I wouldn't have thought of it ahead of time and maybe someone else wouldn't either. So before anyone else runs out to get twelve boxes, maybe consider that first. I think twelve is too many if you want your young child to still have time in there to do whatever they want. Or maybe we're just slow. lol

Quote:
I can't speak for True Blue, but my BIL is extremely computer savvy and still has to have my sister, his wife, tell him how to do practically anything in Word. He's the head IT guy at his company, has his degree in that stuff, writes a lot of their internal programming, etc. He knows all about computers. Computers, however, are not synonymous with Microsoft products. lol One could easily be computer savvy and not know the ins and outs of Word or Excel.
#98 of 109 Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM

I TOTALLY agree with Plummetting. I thought we'd want to use all 12 too....and while I CAN fill them all, sometimes it's too much. I'm starting to cut back this week and see how that works, so we have some scheduled time but it's not as overwhelming and a chore to finish everything!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#99 of 109 Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Are you teasing me? :P Actually I'm just not Office savvy. I can use the internet, reformat, clean up your drive, install new hard drives, memory, power sources, fans......just don't know how to use Office. Spreadsheets kill me.
Well, then, I'm glad you took my teasing in the intended spirit. Funny, I'm very similar to you in that way. How did your pared-down boxes go today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
I've been doing the workboxes for a few weeks with DD and I do have to say that I think twelve is way too many for us.
I have fudged the system to fit our needs for this same reason. I just don't ever intend to get through all 12. I'm sure Sue Patrick would *not* approve! We have our day's schedule all worked out already, so I do have 12 boxes prepared every day, but I just have the kids do them in order until school time is over. They don't usually get done with all of them. Then I move whichever ones are left to the top and add new things to the empty ones at the end.

How's it going for everyone else? :

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#100 of 109 Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
We have our day's schedule all worked out already, so I do have 12 boxes prepared every day, but I just have the kids do them in order until school time is over. They don't usually get done with all of them. Then I move whichever ones are left to the top and add new things to the empty ones at the end.
I'm thinking this would probably be better for me. I'm on a break from workboxing because I felt pretty boxed in by it. We weren't getting done until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, then the baby would nap, then it was dinner time, then bedtime, and anything outside of the house wasn't getting done. Don't get me wrong, less time out "shopping" is a better thing most days, but some days I just really have to go to the post office or the grocery store or the bank. And the baby's not gonna let me do those things all in one day, that's for SURE. I tried having one flex day a week where we wouldn't do school at all, but that wasn't really working either.

I'm having issues with stuffing them. I feel like it consumes the only "me" time I get in life, which is after the kids go to bed. Maybe it's incredibly selfish, but I don't like spending that time on something for them, but I'm not sure of any other time I could stuff them. In theory I could probably get up and do it first thing in the morning, but well, I'm not a first thing in the morning person. I guess I need to decide what time would be better and commit to doing it, though.

I love the way the system works for us. I love knowing what they're getting done. I love them getting stuff done. I love that they're fairly independent with it and there's much less nagging going on. But I don't love the extra time I'm putting in to work on that and I'm trying to think of a way to streamline my efforts so that I don't resent it as much. So that's where we are .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#101 of 109 Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Don't know if this would help you since your youngest is much younger than mine, but I actually do a lot of the putting-away and preparing for tomorrow during the day while we are schooling. I don't actually put filled boxes back on shelves til we are done schooling for the day, but it's not unusual for me to be working on that while I'm making dinner and kids are doing afternoon chores.

#102 of 109 Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

what works for me is to not move or empty the boxes like the author suggest. i know she says the child needs to visually see their work disappear, so what we do is replace each velcro number with a velcro smiley face. when my dd sees all of the smiley faces - she knows the work is complete. many boxes are used everyday (sequential spelling, math, independent reading, time and calendar, unitedstreaming.com, bookflix, etc)...so i only come up with a few additional boxes that need filling. for us, it's not about getting my dd to work independently. rather, i just needed a rhythm or a routine, ykwim? so i've tweaked the system to work for us. anyway, i find this easier than trying to fill all 12 boxes every.single.night. that is a pain for sure.

i love the idea of moving whichever ones are left to the front. good thinking!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#103 of 109 Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 PM

OK, I spent the money and time to set up racks and boxes for all four kids. And I totally hate how the books are getting bent.

#104 of 109 Old 05-23-2009, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, I spent the money and time to set up racks and boxes for all four kids. And I totally hate how the books are getting bent.
This is exactly why I didn't go with the shoe boxes. I can't stand when paperbacks get bent!
#105 of 109 Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM

I wondered about that too...books bending. I really like my baskets with oversized ziplocs!!!

The days we do workboxes go so much better, since the kids have things put out to occupy them. We're almost done with school though, and spending this coming week at my mom's....so I don't see using them much more this year, though next year we'll start off with them right away. Our last 'real' day will probably be June 5. We'll continue playing RS games through the summer, and do a few lessons from FLL each week, but that's it. DS goes to day camp and is busy busy busy! I can't wait for the break!

#106 of 109 Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 PM

This is just the thread I needed! I am thinking about using workboxes when we start back to school after summer. I love the insight that you all provide. I think that I would not start with 12, as I feel that would be too much, but perhaps add more if we needed them later. How do you utilize the "work with mommy" cards, or do you? How do your children like the workboxes vs what you were doing before? It seems like they might feel more empowered. I am thinking that this system might work very well for my DS. I look forward to hearing more from you all in regards to how well it goes in the future, as well as ideas on what you are putting in the fun boxes.
#107 of 109 Old 05-30-2009, 12:02 AM

sorry im a little lost....so do you put the material in each day? Is it basically a visual of all the things you will learn that day??

I was considering doing something similar but breaking them into units for science and taking all our science things/books and breaking them into units (i e storage bins) DS likes to pick out what he learns and often its not what is *scheduled* so Im flustered trying to round everything up. I figuire this way when he say I want to learn about the planets we can grab the box with the planet sticky on the outside and inside will be worksheets,read aloud books (similar to sonlight method) maybe even some brochures to local museums or stuff to remind me about exhibits that pertain to this subject . Any ideas on how I could expand on that??? We could get a new box every week or so.
#108 of 109 Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli&SkyesMom View Post
How do you utilize the "work with mommy" cards, or do you?

Ds either comes to get me when he wants to do them and if I have time to do it then, I do; or I come to him when I have time and we do it then. The boxes serve more for me having stuff prepared to do with him when we have time together so I don't have to dig it out and remember what I wanted to do, etc. (since planners don't seem to work well for me homeschooling even though I couldn't live without them as a public high school teacher ). When we're done with the work, but little card goes on the completion sheet on top of our unit.

How do your children like the workboxes vs what you were doing before? It seems like they might feel more empowered.

Well, yeah--he definitely feels empowered. He's also way less bored because he has more direction than I was giving him before. Plus, we get a lot more done--and he really loves that because he craves learning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
sorry im a little lost....so do you put the material in each day? Is it basically a visual of all the things you will learn that day??

For us it's putting all the work for that day OUT to be DONE so-to-speak. We don't need the visual. We need it to be accessible in a way that ds can get at it and do it without picking through all my teacher-y stuff... kwim? He's 5. For me it's WAY easier to do on-the-fly learning time together because the stuff is broken down into work units and we can just go to the drawer, open it, and everything we need is inside--ready to go.

We don't do learning stuff every day but I put stuff in the drawers almost every day and simply direct some of his playtime so it breaks up his obsessiveness with Legos and Thomas.

I was considering doing something similar but breaking them into units for science and taking all our science things/books and breaking them into units (i e storage bins) DS likes to pick out what he learns and often its not what is *scheduled* so Im flustered trying to round everything up. I figuire this way when he say I want to learn about the planets we can grab the box with the planet sticky on the outside and inside will be worksheets,read aloud books (similar to sonlight method) maybe even some brochures to local museums or stuff to remind me about exhibits that pertain to this subject . Any ideas on how I could expand on that??? We could get a new box every week or so.

Dude... I SO hear you on this theory and it was what I had totally intended to do in the spirit of truly following my kid's interests. Then I realized that there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to predict what hundred directions he could go in. So I gave up. And his interests fade so quickly that I seriously couldn't possibly round them up on the fly. So I'm NO help there!

Heather - Wife 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mommy 
 &

#109 of 109 Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 PM

Wow! So I found my way to the workboxes group on Yahoo! It has so much info on workboxes, it's almost overwhelming to try and sort through! Thanks for suggesting it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page