Mothering Forum banner

Foreign Language for Preschoolers?

632 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Missa 
#1 ·
I hear everywhere that the earlier you start foreign language education, the better. But I am at a loss for how to teach a preschooler a foreign language. DD is 6 months old, and right now we're watching movies in other Region 1 languages (i.e. French and Spanish) as well as TV shows in Korean. I think these will give her good exposure to the sounds, but since we're not speaking these at home, I figure she will need something more structured to actually pick up the languages.

Do any of you know of a good, affordable curriculum that I could start my daughter with? I'm not necessarily looking to start this young, but if there's a worthwhile resource out there that we could make use of now, I'm willing to consider it. I assume we want to start an actual language study program with her once she's closer to 2 years old. (I'm open to other opinions on when to start that, though.)

High-priority languages for our family are Hebrew, Greek, and Korean. We're also interested in Spanish, German, and French. (Which will probably be easier to come by!)

If it helps, dh has studied Greek and French, I have studied German and Korean (I have a Korean brother-in-law, though he and my sister don't live near us), and I am very interested in studying Hebrew alongside dd. We aren't fluent in any of the above, though I was nearly fluent in German at one point. We also have some Spanish-speaking and French-speaking friends at church.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
We will be starting Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek in the next month or two. The kids and I will be learning this together, my children are 8, 5 and 4. We are also starting Greek History at the same time so they will go together (this is for my 8 year old but the younger ones always listen in some).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.