Who Else is starting w/ a Kindergartner this coming year? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was neat to see this bumped back up as I started it 5 whole months ago now. We are planning on starting again the first of September. I just ordered some reference type books- usborne and a science guide to pick different activities from- the name escapes me right now, but ds LOVES that kind of stuff. I am swapping a bunch of things on paper back swap as well to see what other cool things we can get.

We will continue the laid back approach here. Although I do want some kind of routine. Lots of games for our math and letter recognition. Lots of reading(I have 40 new wonderful books coming from a lady). I want to do circle time as well- I never thought about calling it that but the kids LOVE singing and finger plays I think that would be a great thing to incorporate everyday! I want to do lots of exploring nature outside and have some nature guides ordered and more on the list- he is always asking about this bug or that animal so that will be a lot of our "science".

We have HWT book but it still has been very lax w/ that. He likes to practice some,but I don't push it. I let him initiate I am more interested in still introducing the letters and numbers visually to him naturally.

I want to put a weekly bake- together time in as well. Both kids cook w/ me a lot but I want this time to be more thoughtful than it is. And of course besides the wonderful tradition and bonding he is learning the lifeskill of cooking- practicing on letters and reading and numbers as well! So - it will be great no matter how you look at it!

We go to the library every Tuesday- we do storytime and then play at the library or at the park depending on the weather. Then we have lunch w/ daddy that is our big fun day. I am trying to decide if we want to do hs co-op this year. It is on Fridays. If they have some sort of physical activity time we might do that a few times as well. He LOVES being around all the other kids.

I want to incorporate some Religious theme/unit type lessons as well. We had missionaries visit and it struck me what a great way to go over so many things. We can talk about the great virtues we want to live out- being kind and compassionate to those in need and also use it as a chance to discuss basic geography- he is always asking where this place and that is on the map. Plus- we can also make it into a learning about different cultures as well- and perhaps weave that into some of our cooking time as well.

The thing is now I need to sit and think realistically what do I think we can do and how often and how to best integrate it into a loose schedule that keeps us all happy!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 95 Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 PM

My DS just loves Starfall. He also really likes www.readingeggs.com too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
Oh, and for families who are OK with computers & little kids DD LOVES

www.starfall.com
www.literactive.com

I've found them to be a nice compliment to the Hooked on Phonics. Also, the disc that comes with the deluxe edition of HOP is good for reinforcement.

Also, if you're thinking about a particular program & are part of a homeschool group in your area check with the other Moms before you buy. I was able to borrow K HOP from a homeschooling friend, and will likely borrown 1st HOP from my best friend whose boys go to PS. If nothing else they may let you browse the curriculum to really SEE if you think it will work before you buy it.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#93 of 95 Old 08-28-2009, 10:57 PM

Our DS1(5) is of age to go to Senior Kindergarten this year, if we were sending him to school. (We have two years of PS kindy here (Junior Kindergarten at age 4, and SK at age 5).)

We take an integrated "Life Learning" approach/philosophy here though, so there's no there's no particular "starting" point for us -- it's more just a seamless continuum of the learning journey that he (and we all) have been on all along.
#94 of 95 Old 08-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mine has been VERY aware of "back to school" this last week and asked me when we would start doing work.

So we'll be starting some actual work.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#95 of 95 Old 08-29-2009, 01:51 PM

I also have a Kindy here! We've done some very basic things in the last few weeks but nothing too crazy. My plan is to just focus on beginning reading skills, math (addition, subtraction, money and time) and we'll go from there.

I also have the Rebecca Rupp book and it's just given me a little needed guidance. Sometimes I'm just at a loss as to what to cover. DH and I decided not to purchase curriculum this year (mostly because he's been out of work for seven months and we can't afford it) so I'm just winging it, which I'm not too concerned about since it's Kindergarten.

I think we'll do some unit studies, maybe two a month, along with our reading and math. I've decided to put handwriting on hold for now. Dd knows all of her uppercase letters but struggles with lowercase. She gets easily frustrated when she doesn't get it so at this point, I don't think it's worth the meltdowns. We'll try again in a few months.

I'm really looking forward to everyone's wonderful ideas!

Julie, wife to Joel, and mommy to Grace (5) and
Andrew (1)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page